JHS Haunting Mids is the High Gain Secret Sauce!

bgstudio

Groupie
I found the Haunting Mids pedal to be an "ok" mid boost pedals in front of an amp, and it was also pretty mid (pun intended) as a tone shaper up front, but it didn't really offer anything to me beyond what most OD and other boost pedals could do, especially in front of a 5150 style amp which already has a fair bit of mids!

However, in the loop of my EVH Stealth, it was a much different beast. Using it as a limited parametric EQ not only gave my amp a bit more "life", but it also gave me the ability to EQ the amps pre-amp section a bit less drastically to get the sound I like. Unlike a graphic EQ, the sweep on the pedal gives you the ability to target the frequency based on your ears, and it helps alleviate the endless tone tweaking I was doing when trying to get the same effect using A 10-band EQ.

The majority of the talking is before 7:00 minutes. Tone testing happens after that, and I made chapters as well. Cheers!

I found the Haunting Mids pedal to be an "ok" mid boost pedals in front of an amp, and it was also pretty mid (pun intended) as a tone shaper up front, but it didn't really offer anything to me beyond what most OD and other boost pedals could do, especially in front of a 5150 style amp which already has a fair bit of mids!

However, in the loop of my EVH Stealth, it was a much different beast. Using it as a limited parametric EQ not only gave my amp a bit more "life", but it also gave me the ability to EQ the amps pre-amp section a bit less drastically to get the sound I like. Unlike a graphic EQ, the sweep on the pedal gives you the ability to target the frequency based on your ears, and it helps alleviate the endless tone tweaking I was doing when trying to get the same effect using A 10-band EQ.

The majority of the talking is before 7:00 minutes. Tone testing happens after that, and I made chapters as well. Cheers!

Very nice!

Gotta say though, many folks underestimate parametric EQ's until they've spent some time with one.

Parametric EQ, when placed in the effects loop in a subtle manner, can make an amp really versatile - in a way that's similar to amps that have a parametric (or at least semi-parametric) mids sweep.

For some reason, lots of people sleep on that, and need to be enlightened, but then they'll be like: 🤯

Very nice!

Gotta say though, many folks underestimate parametric EQ's until they've spent some time with one.

Parametric EQ, when placed in the effects loop in a subtle manner, can make an amp really versatile - in a way that's similar to amps that have a parametric (or at least semi-parametric) mids sweep.

For some reason, lots of people sleep on that, and need to be enlightened, but then they'll be like: 🤯

Exactly! What does every Engineer, Producer, Mixer use on recorded guitar tracks in post?

Back