It's not for me , and why ?

GTR37

Rock Star
Inspired by a recent threads and posts on the Nano cortex on other forums I figured I would start this with the sole purpose so that people can express , what Not is for them and why ( just in case someone gives a crap)

I will start the Boss GX100, because even though after 2 years they fixed the IR issues , the Recto still sounds like swamp poop

TB3 other than price barriers, lack of stereo effects loop is there anything you would like to share with the group ?

ditto on GX100. Had such high hopes with inclusion of touch screen and their renowned (supposedly) excellent performance on latency matching its brothers.

I'm really done with Roland/Boss modelling (after a long love & hate relationship from GT5 ~ up to 1000 and this). not going to bother anymore.

Writing this I just realized that I still keep BR-800(!) which is more or less equivalent to GT10 modeling.

Yes, I love complaining
napoleon dynamite yes GIF

I won’t buy UAFX pedals because of the features only accessible in smartphone app.

I won’t buy NDSP products because I don’t like their marketing strategy, or the hype surrounding. I probably won’t buy tonex or kemper either because I’m not interested in shopping for profiles.

I won’t buy insert cheap chinese amazon modeler here because I want the real shit.

That pretty much leaves helix, fractal, and boss, if we’re talking modelers. I like boss pedals but not interested in their modelers, for now.

Fully featured modeling is not for me, regardless of brand.

Tldr
After my experiences that mostly has to do with myself (it’s NOT the modelers fault that i am weird) i can stretch to use something like digital amp model pedals if they’re easy to use, restrictive features. UA and TC is good examples. I chose a ACS1 because so many likeminded recommended it. The best part is that the amp pedal is very much like an amp that’s replaceable. If i want to try a UA i can do that because most of my sounds will come from pedals. I might chose an amp plugin also… idk… or a real amp! it feels like the solution is better for me and im not “bound” to a modeller. It’s a mindset thing for me I guess.

Anything that solely relies on captures (NanoC, Tonex and Kemper)
I find modelling on a component level and even in it's simpler from more exciting and the ability to fine tune every knob to my taste gets me off.

Sure, captures might sound great but I'm not sure if I want to dive into the rabbit hole of 10'000 captures..

I wouldn't buy a Kemper again because I think it sounds bad.

I wouldn't buy any of these "amp in a box" pedals coming out from companies like UA, TC, Tech21, etc... because they're just not the way I want to think about amplification.

I wouldn't buy another Boss multi-effect because I think they deliberately nerf the quality of the effects versus their standalone boxes. But if they did ever release a multi that gave you the true 500 series algorithms in the box, or the equivalent, then I would consider it.

There aren't any companies I've mentally blacklisted for non-gear reasons. I'm all about the sounds and the functionality. If it delivers, I'd consider it.

BrandDeviceLikeDon't like
FractalAxe-Fx 3Sound and features. Axe-Edit.Onboard UI. Rack format. Expensive in EU.
FM9Sound and features. FM9-Edit.Onboard UI.
FM3Sound and features. FM3-Edit.Onboard UI. Lack of footswitches.
Line6Helix RackEasy to use. Helix Native.Rack format. Some effects could be better.
Helix Floor/LTEasy to use. Helix Native.Size.
HX StompCompact.Gimped UI compared to full Helix.
Neural DSPQuad CortexTouchscreen UI. Knob/switches. Form factor. Ability to run multiple captures at the same time.Effects are not good enough. Slow fw update progress.
Nano CortexCompact.No effect options. Lack of even a simple screen.
KemperToasterRelatively easy to use. Built in poweramp.Dated in every way, so I don't feel it's worth buying anymore. Should have bought one 10 years ago.
PlayerCompact.Lacking effects. Needs a screen.
BossGT-1000/CoreCompact, low latency.Onboard UI. Lack of updates.
GX-100Touchscreen UI.GX-1000 is likely to come out eventually. Lack of updates.
FenderTone Master ProTouchscreen UI + scribble strips. Form factor.Touchscreen UI is too dumbed down. No real differentiating features. Work in progress compared to others.
StrymonIridiumSimple and straightforward.Maybe too simple. Not suited for high gain. Stock IRs could be better.
Universal AudioAllSound.No MIDI. No multiple presets. Forced UA account registration.
IK MultimediaTonex/Tonex OneSound. Low cost.Software is terrible.

Floor units are really no go for me due to some health issues and I have finally figured I just don't like rack units.

The Quad Cortex is closest to what I'd like from a modeler, but I was not happy with its effects quality compared to Line6 or Fractal.

For now my setup is an about FM9 sized desktop pedalboard controlled via MIDI and hooked up to the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition + 2x BluGuitar cabs. It's not perfect, but it works well and sounds great.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the BluGuitar Amp X can replace my pedalboard well enough and give me a nice stereo rig with the Amp 1. I already have a bunch of doubts about how it will work but I'll have to see the final product.

If it doesn't work out, I'll wait for next gen Fractal or Line6.

BrandDeviceLikeDon't like
FractalAxe-Fx 3Sound and features. Axe-Edit.Onboard UI. Rack format. Expensive in EU.
FM9Sound and features. FM9-Edit.Onboard UI.
FM3Sound and features. FM3-Edit.Onboard UI. Lack of footswitches.
Line6Helix RackEasy to use. Helix Native.Rack format. Some effects could be better.
Helix Floor/LTEasy to use. Helix Native.Size.
HX StompCompact.Gimped UI compared to full Helix.
Neural DSPQuad CortexTouchscreen UI. Knob/switches. Form factor. Ability to run multiple captures at the same time.Effects are not good enough. Slow fw update progress.
Nano CortexCompact.No effect options. Lack of even a simple screen.
KemperToasterRelatively easy to use. Built in poweramp.Dated in every way, so I don't feel it's worth buying anymore. Should have bought one 10 years ago.
PlayerCompact.Lacking effects. Needs a screen.
BossGT-1000/CoreCompact, low latency.Onboard UI. Lack of updates.
GX-100Touchscreen UI.GX-1000 is likely to come out eventually. Lack of updates.
FenderTone Master ProTouchscreen UI + scribble strips. Form factor.Touchscreen UI is too dumbed down. No real differentiating features. Work in progress compared to others.
StrymonIridiumSimple and straightforward.Maybe too simple. Not suited for high gain. Stock IRs could be better.
Universal AudioAllSound.No MIDI. No multiple presets. Forced UA account registration.
IK MultimediaTonex/Tonex OneSound. Low cost.Software is terrible.

Floor units are really no go for me due to some health issues and I have finally figured I just don't like rack units.

The Quad Cortex is closest to what I'd like from a modeler, but I was not happy with its effects quality compared to Line6 or Fractal.

For now my setup is an about FM9 sized desktop pedalboard controlled via MIDI and hooked up to the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition + 2x BluGuitar cabs. It's not perfect, but it works well and sounds great.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the BluGuitar Amp X can replace my pedalboard well enough and give me a nice stereo rig with the Amp 1. I already have a bunch of doubts about how it will work but I'll have to see the final product.

If it doesn't work out, I'll wait for next gen Fractal or Line6.
Damn you went all excel and shit on it! Very cool

@laxu I suppose this isn't the thread to dig deep into people's posts or anything, but did you think about the QC and adding other pedals to the loops to make up for the effects you didn't like??

@laxu I suppose this isn't the thread to dig deep into people's posts or anything, but did you think about the QC and adding other pedals to the loops to make up for the effects you didn't like??
3 years ago when the QC released, I compared it to the Helix Floor and Fractal FM3 on whatever fw they had at the time. I felt the delays and reverbs on the QC did not stack up especially to Fractal. Compared to the Helix delays and reverbs it was hit and miss, and I don't feel the Helix delays/reverbs are top tier, just good in that "there's nothing wrong with these" manner.

I had verified the Helix drive models compared very well to the Keeley D&M Drive's Klon and OCD sides, to the point I sold the Keeley. The QC Klon by comparison seemed way off in both gain level and character. Fractal Klon was not a thing back then so I couldn't have a "3rd opinion".

Overall the QC never came out as the best of the bunch for effects. At best on par, often worse. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but it's just not at the highest tier where I would put e.g Fractal, Strymon, Source Audio, Eventide, Meris, Chase Bliss, UA etc.

I get that no modeler will ever have perfect everything, but if I have to add a pile of pedals to it, why am I using the modeler in the first place rather than a pedalboard? I felt the QC had enough fx that I didn't like enough, plus all the "soon" features at release. It was better to sell it and wait to see how it shapes up.

Now I don't want to buy another one because I'd rather wait for next gen devices from other brands. I still use Helix Native now and then and like it just fine.

I like puppies. And kitties. And kids. And digital guitar amp CEOs that can dead lift 650 lbs.

I dislike digital guitar amp CEOs that lie about their development, publicly blame their staff and suppliers when delays happen, and who are so insecure about their designs that they bitch and moan publicly when anyone dares call them out - knowing full well that their most rabid fanboys will back them up and act like assholes in kind.

* is this how this works?
Well actually it was more of a parody thread commenting on why people feel the need to go into new product threads they have no interest in and advise others why it not for them

But sure , we can go with your response , it’s valid and honest

Oops. I think a lot of us missed the nuance. (I was just about to write my usability/ versatility manifesto LOL.)
You can write it
Man sometimes threads unplanned tend to take off in a different direction and that cool
It’s intresting to see what people don’t like and why
Obviously without starting fights , that’s totally not the intent

Back