It cannot be unheard

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
So you cruise along with a distorted part and everything is great. The second you solo the track…

Tobe Hooper Horror GIF by filmeditor

For the rest of your life you’ll never unhear the buildup at 140hz

Not Listening Dumb And Dumber GIF

Low cut until it’s gone, guitars have no balls.

Animated GIF

This is insanity

Last edited:
So you cruise along with a distorted part and everything is great. The second you solo the track…

Tobe Hooper Horror GIF by filmeditor

For the rest of your life you’ll never unhear the buildup at 140hz

Not Listening Dumb And Dumber GIF

Low cut until it’s gone, guitars have no balls.

Animated GIF

This is insanity

You know what to do… go unmask/sidechain it, and then it will be dynamically controlled.

Sidechain to the bass (and then you can invert the relationship with one button click in Neutron to see who should unmask who). As always you have a mix fader to play how much unmasking you apply.

👍

Last edited:
You know what to do… go unmask/sidechain it, and then it will be dynamically controlled.

Sidechain to the bass (and then you can invert the relationship with one button click in Neutron to see who should unmask who). As always you have a mix fader to play how much unmasking you apply.

👍

Not quite sure how to do all that but it sounds good and I’ve got some YT key searches for tonight. :ROFLMAO:

Para EQ with a narrow bandwidth can also be effective. That way you can
dial in on the annoying buildup, notch it, and leave your beef intact.

I wouldn't High Pass guitars up to 140Hz. Maybe 80Hz to 100Hz and then
surgical notch with Parametric. :idk

I normally park a low cut around 110-120 with a 24 slope. I’ve found that notching in that area above it, 120-150, doesn’t remove the entire buildup, and if you switch it to a bell curve, by the time you widen the curve enough to remove it, you neuter the low end.

I can entirely remove it but that requires me to move the low cut to 135 to 140 but then it removes the weight of the guitars and creates that distinct division between guitar and bass rather than having them mesh into a wall of sound.

I normally park a low cut around 110-120 with a 24 slope. I’ve found that notching in that area above it, 120-150, doesn’t remove the entire buildup, and if you switch it to a bell curve, by the time you widen the curve enough to remove it, you neuter the low end.

I can entirely remove it but that requires me to move the low cut to 135 to 140 but then it removes the weight of the guitars and creates that distinct division between guitar and bass rather than having them mesh into a wall of sound.

Can't you ballpark the buildup with a real-time spectrum analysis of the guitar tracks, and then
be surgical with a cut and narrow bandwidth once you do? :idk

I'll be curious to see how things with the Fractal and if you have similar or different results. :beer

it’s an area that can build up depending on the sounds you’re working with, the key of the song, the parts etc. But be very careful it’s not your room causing you problems there. It’s extremely common for the frequency response to be really bumpy in that area and most often, getting things right is made harder by the room playing tricks on you. Things sound best when you don’t have to fight them to get there

@Whizzinby Multiband compress @140Hz

Take a look at this Logic Pro Multipressor screenshot. Set the crossover frequencies of the 2nd band to 100 and 200Hz, ratio to taste (I usually go for approx. 4), reduce the threshold until you hear the desired reduction of buildup.

View attachment 11869

Side note, I did this on my last track. (Just on the distorted parts) Left the cut around 120 with a -12 slope and then set the multipressor to your settings above.

it’s an area that can build up depending on the sounds you’re working with, the key of the song, the parts etc. But be very careful it’s not your room causing you problems there. It’s extremely common for the frequency response to be really bumpy in that area and most often, getting things right is made harder by the room playing tricks on you. Things sound best when you don’t have to fight them to get there

I think some of it is def being exaggerated in my room, but I have had it where I’ll be playing it back in the car and my ear will immediately gravitate to certain freq in the distorted guitars.

Retrack.
And don't solo, to begin with.
If it works, it ain't stupid.

Yeah I think I’m going to stop doing EQ while isolating the tracks. I’ve seen that recommended and I think just doing moves within the context of the full track is probably the way to go.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I’m going to stop doing EQ while isolating the tracks. I’ve seen that recommended and I think I just doing moves within the context of the full track is probably the way to go.
I don't buy into that "your tracks have to sound bad in solo to fit in a mix" trope, I like my tracks to sound great and work in a mix.
How things sound in solo is not super important, though, if the cohesive whole is working allright.

Last edited:
I only solo channels now to hunt down problems - otherwise in context…lvls and eq for the best mix.

Side note, I did this on my last track. (Just on the distorted parts) Left the cut around 120 with a -12 slope and then set the multipressor to your settings above.

Sounds good to me! I think you could even set the cutoff frequency a little bit lower, but that‘s really just personal taste.

Back