IR Loaders less cumbersome than Two Notes Cab M+ with 3rd party IRs?

I love the Cab M+ for DynIR stuff, but working with 3rd party IRs is really cumbersome. Is there anything that is easy to work with that has 200ms or more capabilities, and can load a decent amount of IRs? I'm looking at the Boss IR-200, but I'm curious if there is anything else to look at.

I use overdrive/distortion pedals (Guvnor, Drivemaster, BE-OD Deluxe, Dirty Shirley, etc) into the Cab M+ at present. Alternatives are much appreciated.

Not to be a turd; but there is zero chance I would recommend a Tone-X ANYTHING for a utility task :oops::rofl

Or a Boss device for that matter. Not sure on length requirement, whether it even matters and what hardware out there supports it. I'd get an HX or FAS something or other and call it day.
:farley

I'm kind of contemplating an Axe FX II or III. How many IRs can it store?
Bro are you in for it :rofl

Fractal’s problem is and will never be a limit to # of IRs. More the opposite!

Also for loaders, I have a Captor X, and i can load 4 banks of 11 (so 44!) IRs at 200 ms length. Even more if you go lower. Just a thought about IR length, Fractal tries to sell you that IR length increases fidelity, and I’m not going to dispute that as it is factual, but qualitatively if I played you 5 IRs at 20 or 50ms and 5 IRs at 200 or 500ms, I bet you couldn’t pick which was the higher or lower quality more than 50% of the time.

A lot of players prefer the Suhr load box to the Captor, and it only stores maximum 20ms IRs. So take that for what you will. Personally I like the Captor over the Suhr, but that preference is more the impedance curve, the sound of the load box, vs the IR length.

Last edited:
I'm kind of contemplating an Axe FX II or III. How many IRs can it store?
The III mark II - and mark II turbo can store 2048 user IR's and 64 FullRes IR's
I believe the Mark 1 can store 2048 user IR's as well, but only a handful of FullRes are included in the LegacyBank and you can't change them.

Last edited:
Not to be a turd; but there is zero chance I would recommend a Tone-X ANYTHING for a utility task :oops::rofl

Or a Boss device for that matter. Not sure on length requirement, whether it even matters and what hardware out there supports it. I'd get an HX or FAS something or other and call it day.
:farley
I can’t argue with the fact that IK content management is an unnecessary mess most of the time but when I think of an IR loading pedal I think you put up with the loading process once, get 10-20 IR’s in there and never have to plug it into an editor again! Once you do that you have midi capability, banks of 3 footswitchable choices. Presets that can include EQ, compressor pre or post, reverb, etc

And considering his current situation as he described it:

I use overdrive/distortion pedals (Guvnor, Drivemaster, BE-OD Deluxe, Dirty Shirley, etc) into the Cab M+ at present. Alternatives are much appreciated”
what TONEX offers in that signal path, if he ever explores the options onboard, is a hell of an upgrade for under $400!!

I can’t argue with the fact that IK content management is an unnecessary mess most of the time but when I think of an IR loading pedal I think you put up with the loading process once, get 10-20 IR’s in there and never have to plug it into an editor again! Once you do that you have midi capability, banks of 3 footswitchable choices. Presets that can include EQ, compressor pre or post, reverb, etc

And considering his current situation as he described it:

I use overdrive/distortion pedals (Guvnor, Drivemaster, BE-OD Deluxe, Dirty Shirley, etc) into the Cab M+ at present. Alternatives are much appreciated”
what TONEX offers in that signal path, if he ever explores the options onboard, is a hell of an upgrade for under $400!!
Great points. Certainly. My frustration with Tone X and Boss stuff (to a lesser extent) definitely clouds my opinion on the process.

what is cumbersome about the Cab M+?
The process of going to the menu in a patch, then to the memory card reader, scrolling through folders and files, picking one and adding it to the internal memory, which you can't really pair it with other IRs (say you want a T75 IR and a V30 IR), so you have to kind of guess and pick some and hope they pair well together.

Alternatively, you can do this on the PC app, which is moderately better, but not by much. You can only use the memory card reader on one of the slots. I find it to be the one spot where the Cab M+ kind of falls flat on its face.

The process of going to the menu in a patch, then to the memory card reader, scrolling through folders and files, picking one and adding it to the internal memory, which you can't really pair it with other IRs (say you want a T75 IR and a V30 IR), so you have to kind of guess and pick some and hope they pair well together.

Alternatively, you can do this on the PC app, which is moderately better, but not by much. You can only use the memory card reader on one of the slots. I find it to be the one spot where the Cab M+ kind of falls flat on its face.
I see. I never used the Cab M+ without the app. The menu does look confusing. But since I always had it connected to my computer anyway, I might as well use the app.

Actually, I tend to audition IRs in my DAW so I can hear them in a mix context. So I just use an IR software to audition them and once I find a combination I like I save them to a Cab M+ preset.

I recently sold the Cab M+ to get the Captor X and have a load box and IR loader in a single box, but I hadn't had any issues with the Cab M for my purposes (studio use).

Back