Incoming NAD: EVH 5150 III EL34 50W

Buen Camino Amigo

Camino Ultreia GIF by ElCaminoParaLatinos
Mejor conductor

Really enjoying the usable travel on the gain knobs. I was afraid turning them way down might cause some eq issues (weak sounding) like a lot of other amps but this thing seems barely affected by it. Even with the low eq knob set all the way off it still has plenty of girth with the resonance knob at noon on the back. The global presence is not shrilly to my ears either and thats a relief.

Last edited:
Reading up on some typical failures of these and getting ahead of it. Amp works perfect but just ordered some 1k 5w resistors. Seems that R139 and R140 are under spec'd. I do believe they are screen resistors but havent looked at the schematic yet. I probably will clip C137 when I go in there to replace them though. I find the blue channel to be totally usable but curious if I will like it better snipped. No biggie if I dont, just a drop of solder to put it back.

Really? Most hate on the EL34 for the "trash" blue channel. I however think it makes the amp more versatile

That's what I assumed to be the case, too. :idk

I love EL34s, though. Van Halen and 6L6s never jived with me. Not that you need to play Halen on an EVH.

Don't go in there and fuck it up, Bob. You can't just take it back to GC. :crazy

:rofl

Oh I have been working on my own stuff for decades. I know enough to be dangerous and know what not to touch or do. I take it to a tech when it comes to doing the harder stuff but I have modded dozens of amps. Only killed a couple early on LOL

Reading up on some typical failures of these and getting ahead of it. Amp works perfect but just ordered some 1k 5w resistors. Seems that R139 and R140 are under spec'd. I do believe they are screen resistors but havent looked at the schematic yet. I probably will clip C137 when I go in there to replace them though. I find the blue channel to be totally usable but curious if I will like it better snipped. No biggie if I dont, just a drop of solder to put it back.
Everything effects everything.
Don’t be resentful when other settings/vibes from other channels can change.
I’m down with modding everything & anything.
This changelling of components leads to more changing this for that & the others..
Live with it, pedal it or dump it, don’t f*ck with it.

Congrats!!! Since getting the 6L6 version last month, my amp GAS has been at an all time quiet. They really got it right with these amps

I love how my 6L6 sounds through my t75 cabs, but I'd definitely recommend checking out one of the matching EVH cabs too if you're trying to tinker, I'm not usually a "gotta have the matching cab" guy but there is an extra special synergy there imo

Last edited:
Let's be honest with ourselves here, you won't be keeping the amp that long, will you?

Days like this that make ya miss having a radio shack right on the corner...
Or you need to gather yourself and think where you likely have a few of those fuses.
Sometimes there’s an extra in amp or from another amp etc.
-I attempted to…(nevermind)
-the new owner of this amp to ‘leave it alone’.
I learned good & hard-
DO NOT buy a multi-channel amp with multiple functions to mod it right outta the cannon.
You go mess in’ with the ‘crossover channel…
-that’s like datin’ a “Karen” thinkin’ you can turn
her into the woman you want her to be..

Everything touches everything in the signal in there,
-by fine tuning this..you unbalance the over-all
impact..sacrifice.
The kind that sucks based on someone’s suggestion & claiming how unbelievably amazing the changes are, while keeping the underlying details that suck close to the chest💯.
One thing to be aware of.. you can blow a testicule out when you blow them fuses!
You can put a fuse back in there but not a blown out nuttsack left in the negative-1 department.
I’m tired of the consequences of tinkering &
wanna ROCK🤘🏻

Last edited:
Or you need to gather yourself and think where you likely have a few of those fuses.
Sometimes there’s an extra in amp or from another amp etc.
-I attempted to…(nevermind)
-the new owner of this amp to ‘leave it alone’.
I learned good & hard-
DO NOT buy a multi-channel amp with multiple functions to mod it right outta the cannon.
You go mess in’ with the ‘crossover channel…
-that’s like datin’ a “Karen” thinkin’ you can turn
her into the woman you want her to be..

Everything touches everything in the signal in there,
-by fine tuning this..you unbalance the over-all
impact..sacrifice.
The kind that sucks based on someone’s suggestion & claiming how unbelievably amazing the changes are, while keeping the underlying details that suck close to the chest💯.
One thing to be aware of.. you can blow a testicule out when you blow them fuses!
You can put a fuse back in there but not a blown out nuttsack left in the negative-1 department.
I’m tired of the consequences of tinkering &
wanna ROCK🤘🏻

I found plenty of fuses the correct size and voltage but none that were 4 amp. Luckily now I have 14 of them. Also I went and stored the 4x12 I initially played it through and I'm going back out to the shed to get it. The combination that I ended up with in that thing ( X pattern of T75's and Eminence Legends) sounded much better for that amp compared to my 2x12 of V30's.

First time in a long long time where I prefer ANY cab over my V30 2x12 cab.

I think I prefer the 6L6 versions of these amps, and the 50-watter to the 100-watter. Which is odd for me, because I usually don't like 50-watt amps!

Good score though. Let us know what you think about the snipped blue channel.

Back