Incoming NAD: EVH 5150 III EL34 50W

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Made an offer of 700 plus my Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2 and he accepted. It comes with the 5 button footswitch and this is the version where you can actually use MIDI to control it.

Picking up tomorrow. Pretty happy right now. Turns out he lives right down the road from me so another bonus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-190508.png
    Screenshot_20231025-190508.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Awesome development, Bob :chef Great price for it too!

Good thing is I already know I dig those amps. I have tried a few of them quite extensively. He shot down my offer last week and texted me today asking if I had anything to throw in so I figured why not a pedal I never use.

Apparently this particular model seems to be if not the most popular of the series, pretty close to it. I'm getting giddy now.

I own both the 6L6 and the EL34. Red channels are virtually indistinguishable. Blue channels, yeah, the 6L6 sounds better out of the box. Boosted with a pedal however, I actually prefer the EL34. Most others agree with me. Also the EL34 blue channel is definitely not "bad" without a boost. It's it's own flavor, and it sounds great.

Either way, these are fun amps for sure. Great way to act as a power amp for models too. I'm pretty sure you retain both control of presence and resonance when running into the FX return. This makes it very easy to dial modelers to sound "right".

Also heaven forbid you should ever have to pay for a full re-tube on one of these. Don't count how many tubes are in there, you will physically wince lol.

Enjoy the amp!

Really? Most hate on the EL34 for the "trash" blue channel. I however think it makes the amp more versatile

I see that clipping C137 makes the blue channel more articulate and such. I will be the judge before I do that but that is a very reversible mod.

I own both the 6L6 and the EL34. Red channels are virtually indistinguishable. Blue channels, yeah, the 6L6 sounds better out of the box. Boosted with a pedal however, I actually prefer the EL34. Most others agree with me. Also the EL34 blue channel is definitely not "bad" without a boost. It's it's own flavor, and it sounds great.

Either way, these are fun amps for sure. Great way to act as a power amp for models too. I'm pretty sure you retain both control of presence and resonance when running into the FX return. This makes it very easy to dial modelers to sound "right".

Also heaven forbid you should ever have to pay for a full re-tube on one of these. Don't count how many tubes are in there, you will physically wince lol.

Enjoy the amp!

I know I saw that it has 7 12AX7's in it. I have roughly two dozen or so new ones and some used ones too (I used to swap everything that wasnt JJ into new JJ's) so I should be ok. They are mostly Shuguang and EHX but I have a few JJ's and some NOS GE stuff mixed in there too. Also have 3 new matched pairs of JJ EL34's. I like to stay stocked if I can. Recently I have actually drifted more towards Tung Sol tubes but I'm not gonna tube roll unless I feel I have to.

congrats!!!!!

helix into the fx return into a 4x12 is basically my rig but my 5153 has 6l6s

I definitely prefer 6L6's for that use. I have tried several of my EL34 based amps and always go back to my 6L6 driven Spider Valves. I do remember absolutely enjoying Helix direct to the return of my Tremoverb too. I actually preferred it over using it's own pre-amp but to be fair I did not like the Tremoverb by itself.

Well it's home and I immediately plugged it into a 4x12 of G12T-75's (From my old 1960A cab) and yep it crushes. Took me about 2 minutes to make the blue channel work for me. Gain dial and low eq at about 9 o'clock with mid and high dimed. Works for blue and green. Red? Just keep that gain knob below 10 o'clock still has tons of gain and is still plenty chug-a-licious. I wil be using it with my 2x12 of V30's most likely though. The 4x12 happened to be the easiest because I just re-wired it yesterday.

Love this amp.
396222168_1013599973162433_5155218513285881115_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back