Incoming 2x12 with Greenbacks! (it's here)

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Getting shipped to a GC near me (so I can unbox it in store to make sure it isn't in pieces, and run it through one of their amps to test it because I don't actually have a head):
6505PlusM212-large.jpg.auto.webp

Hoping to not be disappointed but will be critical either way. Wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot with 25w greenbacks.

Looks like a great cab.
Nah, 50W is plenty.
You might even run just one side of it at home, top speaker vertically.
I have a Yamaha PS2500S PA power amp that I'll use until I decide whether or not to get another power amp or head. I like the idea of having the option of a W/D rig in one cab.

More excited to shoot some IRs if I like it!

Recording cabs and shooting IRs is fun, it makes you truly 'understand' tone.
I have tried many mics, if I only had to choose one: SM57, that's the sound of electric guitar.
I'm in love with my XREF mic from Sonarworks. Omnidirectional, no proximity effect, mostly flat with a bump at 10-11k. A little EQ on it and it can sound almost identical to the cabinet - at least that had been the case with the CreambacKatana

I use ECM999 for calibration duties, yes it records cabs great, very neutral.
Please tell me you have an SM57. :LOL:

Getting shipped to a GC near me (so I can unbox it in store to make sure it isn't in pieces, and run it through one of their amps to test it because I don't actually have a head):
6505PlusM212-large.jpg.auto.webp

Hoping to not be disappointed but will be critical either way. Wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot with 25w greenbacks.
50 watt power handling in a home is moooooooore than enough. Your ears will beg for mercy well before the speakers.

Picked it up today. Left them the box. Didn't have time to play it there.
20230210_200336.jpg

First few runs through have been fun using one channel of the Yamaha P2500s. Not sure how many watts are actually happening with this setup. The output ratings on the PA are for 4 and 8 ohm loads, this is a 16 ohm load and the math isn't quite cut and dry even for my math whiz wife, but with the output cranked I got up to around 104db. HX presets didn't need to be changed much going from my 1x12 Creamback to 2x12 Greenbacks, things are maybe just a hair brighter.

Don't worry about Ohms, looking at the specs your poweramp has plenty of power to drive 16ohm 4x12 full tilt with very low distortion (0.1%) using one channel, even more so using Bridged mode.

Greenbacks sensitivity is 98dB @ 1Watt / 1 Meter (3ft), for one speaker.
Power = 10^((X-98)/10), where X is the measured SPL (dB) at 3 ft away, and 98 is the sensitivity of the speaker.
If you are measuring at: 4ft away add 2.5 to X,, 5ft away add 4.4 to X,, 6ft away add 6 to X (here).
When doubling the speakers subtract 3 from X.

ie. Measuring 104db 4 feet away from one working speaker:
10^((104+2.5-98)/10) = 7 Watt.

ie. Measuring 104db 5 feet away from two working speaker (2x12):
10^((104+4.4-3-98)/10) = 5.5 Watt, each speaker sees 2.75W.

ie. Measuring 120db 6 feet away from four working speaker (4x12):
10^((120+6-6-98)/10) = 158 Watt, each speaker sees 39W.

As @Boudoir Guitar said, your ears will beg for mercy well before the speakers.

Don't worry about Ohms, looking at the specs your poweramp has plenty of power to drive 16ohm 4x12 full tilt with very low distortion (0.1%) using one channel, even more so using Bridged mode.

Greenbacks sensitivity is 98dB @ 1Watt / 1 Meter (3ft), for one speaker.
Power = 10^((X-98)/10), where X is the measured SPL (dB) at 3 ft away, and 98 is the sensitivity of the speaker.
If you are measuring at: 4ft away add 2.5 to X,, 5ft away add 4.4 to X,, 6ft away add 6 to X (here).
When doubling the speakers subtract 3 from X.

ie. Measuring 104db 4 feet away from one working speaker:
10^((104+2.5-98)/10) = 7 Watt.

ie. Measuring 104db 5 feet away from two working speaker (2x12):
10^((104+4.4-3-98)/10) = 5.5 Watt, each speaker sees 2.75W.

ie. Measuring 120db 6 feet away from four working speaker (4x12):
10^((120+6-6-98)/10) = 158 Watt, each speaker sees 39W.

As @Boudoir Guitar said, your ears will beg for mercy well before the speakers.
Okay, so plugging all of these in, I was taking a reading at about 4ft away reading 104db, 10^((104+2.5-3-98)/10) = 3.55w, each speaker seeing 1.77w.

Amazing how little wattage is actually being used!?

I’d love to try Greenbacks again. My Legacy 4x12 had Greenbacks in it and it definitely worked with the Legacy head as long as I didn’t try to get too much bass out of it, when I’d go for a scooped metal sound and crank it, it wouldn’t take long to start farting out, but I really loved them for singing lead tones. That was my first head/4x12 experience, so I’d be really curious to try one again 20 years later with the way I dial stuff in now.

Enjoy!

With the power amp bridged I just peaked a very quick 124.7db @ 208(ish)w (if the maths works properlys) - just a burst of noise. That'll wake the boy up. I better stop trying to break things

Greenback vs Creamback.

I'm running through only one of the Greenbacks in the 2x12, the Creamback is in a Katana - I'm using the Power Amp Input.

They sound pretty darn close at first couple of listens.

The Creamback in the 1x12 sounds boxy comparatively - very mid focused with much less top end. Plenty of low end coming from the 2x12 box that makes the Katana sound smol. Looking for that Katana sauce hype in the power amp but not finding it. Will try through the FX return with my Kenivel sauce FX Chain (what I use normally).

They do look cool with each other -- kinda like big bro/little bro

20230211_094328.jpg

I’d love to try Greenbacks again. My Legacy 4x12 had Greenbacks in it and it definitely worked with the Legacy head as long as I didn’t try to get too much bass out of it, when I’d go for a scooped metal sound and crank it, it wouldn’t take long to start farting out, but I really loved them for singing lead tones. That was my first head/4x12 experience, so I’d be really curious to try one again 20 years later with the way I dial stuff in now.

Enjoy!
I go for a mid-forward metal sound and this so far is delivering. Healthy amount of low end happening, but again could be this corner of the room it's set up in.

Back