In the neverending battle between full-featured and compact ... Helix vs HX Stomp question

How many of you actually use the flagship Helix to it's fullest capacity? Are you really running multiple amp models? Do you really need the more complex routing?

I really ask because I had and used what is considered the first modeler and I had every option at my fingertips and only ever used one or two patches and they are mostly just amp -> EQ -> speaker -> chorus -> reverb. When I felt wild, I'd add a delay. I'm not sure I'd ever use the extra processing power of the big pedal.

How many of you actually use the flagship Helix to it's fullest capacity? Are you really running multiple amp models? Do you really need the more complex routing?
I recently sold my Helix LT - not because I didn't love it, but because I have a Stomp and a Stomp XL, and I found that I could achieve almost everything I needed with just one of those.

For the vanishingly few situations where I might need more, I could combine the two Stomps, but in reality, I've got an HX One that would do the trick.

For me, the HX Stomp would be just barely enough, especially since it doesn't have gapless switching.

To me the full Helix is all about the user interface though, it's so much more pleasant to work with and all the footswitching is great too. It's very easy to recommend for a do-it-all need-nothing-else modeler. But goddamn, it's a huge surfboard, and I'm not a fan of built-in expression pedals.

Helix Rack then? Well, that gets worse for using capacitive switches since you basically have to be barefoot or bend down, tap a footswitch and then stand back up to edit it on the Rack.

I wonder how the HX Stomp would have turned out if Line6 had got that intended touchscreen into the Helix. I think the HX Stomp would have been probably something closer to the Ampero II Stomp instead. What we got is very compact, but annoying to work with compared to the full Helix.

Next gen can't come soon enough!

I recently sold my Helix LT - not because I didn't love it, but because I have a Stomp and a Stomp XL, and I found that I could achieve almost everything I needed with just one of those.

For the vanishingly few situations where I might need more, I could combine the two Stomps, but in reality, I've got an HX One that would do the trick.
I have a feeling I’d be in the same position. I haven’t even considered two stomps but that’s intriguing.

For me, the HX Stomp would be just barely enough, especially since it doesn't have gapless switching.

To me the full Helix is all about the user interface though, it's so much more pleasant to work with and all the footswitching is great too. It's very easy to recommend for a do-it-all need-nothing-else modeler. But goddamn, it's a huge surfboard, and I'm not a fan of built-in expression pedals.

Helix Rack then? Well, that gets worse for using capacitive switches since you basically have to be barefoot or bend down, tap a footswitch and then stand back up to edit it on the Rack.

I wonder how the HX Stomp would have turned out if Line6 had got that intended touchscreen into the Helix. I think the HX Stomp would have been probably something closer to the Ampero II Stomp instead. What we got is very compact, but annoying to work with compared to the full Helix.

Next gen can't come soon enough!
I’d always edit from the computer though.

I didn’t know about the gapless switching thing.

I really ask because I had and used what is considered the first modeler and I had every option at my fingertips and only ever used one or two patches and they are mostly just amp -> EQ -> speaker -> chorus -> reverb. When I felt wild, I'd add a delay. I'm not sure I'd ever use the extra processing power of the big pedal.
I'm like you in that most of my guitar signal paths are (at most) basically drive->amp/cab->delay->reverb. In cases where I'm only processing guitar, something like an HX Stomp is plenty, from a DSP perspective. However, it's often very practical to be able to route multiple instrument paths in and out of the same device, sharing FX where appropriate (typically reverb), organizing them with the same setlists and banks, etc. That's where something like Helix Floor will really shine.

There's no getting around the tradeoff between Helix Floor's enormous size and HX Stomp's finicky UI, though. That's what drove me to QC - it's right in the "Goldilocks Zone".

As for ganging e.g. two HX Stomps together... you're going to wind up spending near-HX Floor money, and you're going to wind up with not one but two of those compromised UI experiences, plus the need to manage matched presets, MIDI control between the two, etc. IMO this is like choosing the worst of both worlds.

Imo (owned a LT 2017) they’re more than enough with capabilities far beyond what I need. The Floor/LT/Rack is more of “working musician” machines. Granted that the latest features eats up much of the DSP but I haven’t seen anyone complain really, people seem to be happy to use poly stuff and preset spillover leaving just enough dsp for the core basic sound. But except that, there’s basically nothing one can’t do in a preset. Personally I could use them for my home needs and just do a simple kitchen sink preset and be happy, but knowing what’s under the hood will give me option paralysis and im not good handling that.

Stomp oth (the greatest guitar pedal ever created) is a balancing act where one need to think and prioritize and be really assured about what exactly needs to be done. Whether on its own or in a pedalboard (where it should be).
I’ve always managed to be happy and content with Stomp compared to what I really need, but also fought hard against it with what I want. Hence owning it 3 times.

It actually makes no sense not owning a Stomp. Even if you’d maybe use something else it’s just a great tool with access to Helix as a whole. Personally im just struggling with the want/need balance and find it hard to rebuy the Stomp again (even though I really should just buy one and shut up)

I think a Stomp would be just fine for a majority of needs. I have a Stomp XL and it's been pretty solid. The interface takes a bit of getting used to but it gets easier and becomes more intuitive as you tweak. Of course there is HX edit if you don't want to fiddle too much on the stomp screen.

It actually makes no sense not owning a Stomp. Even if you’d maybe use something else it’s just a great tool with access to Helix as a whole. Personally im just struggling with the want/need balance and find it hard to rebuy the Stomp again (even though I really should just buy one and shut up)
Yeah, I only use mine very occasionally at this point, and I sometimes consider selling it while it's still worth some money, but it just does so much so well with such a tiny footprint. It's a nice option to keep in one's proverbial back pocket. Plus I've still got an old BoxKing BK01 that's a perfect match to run HX on battery power... I don't have the heart to split them up. :D

I think a Stomp would be just fine for a majority of needs. I have a Stomp XL and it's been pretty solid. The interface takes a bit of getting used to but it gets easier and becomes more intuitive as you tweak. Of course there is HX edit if you don't want to fiddle too much on the stomp screen.
+1. That gets you some extra footswitches, which are always practical, and does away with the massive expression pedal so many people have been saying they don't want.

Yeah, I only use mine very occasionally at this point, and I sometimes consider selling it while it's still worth some money, but it just does so much so well with such a tiny footprint. It's a nice option to keep in one's proverbial back pocket. Plus I've still got an old BoxKing BK01 that's a perfect match to run HX on battery power... I don't have the heart to split them up. :D
For me as a home user that doesn’t want big stuff its footprint is the best part. I’ll throw it on the floor, on a desk, on the porch… and so on. The only modeler that really comes close to this (for me) is QC, but there’s a quite substantial price difference there.

It depends on the amp/effect needs.

For a simple rig (amp, cab, a couple basic pedals, a bit of basic reverb), it should be fine. If you need to start switching amp models on the fly, then it gets more difficult. You could likely also do a Stomp + standalone amp modeler pedal to free up DSP.

If you do any kind of switching beyond just turning off 1 or 2 pedals, you probably want to look at the XL. It's a lot bigger but a lot more flexible from a switching standpoint.

Just for giggles and fun

IMG_7197.jpeg
IMG_7198.jpeg

i use both rows on my helix LT and am constantly running out of dsp. 2 amp models. 1 dual cab. 2 simple pitch. one reverb and 3 delays. gate. eq. phaser. boost.

id love to be able to use the poly pitch instead of the simple pitches.

the helix needs more dsp.

I need the whole Helix and then some, two drives, clean boost, stereo chorus, two stereo delays, 3 stereo ambient verbs (yes), one always-on light-touch stereo verb, stereo tremolo, stereo-send to real amps, stereo Helix amps, multiple feedback and trails linked to the expression pedal.

This is how we roll in ambient/post-rock/P&W

I need the whole Helix and then some, two drives, clean boost, stereo chorus, two stereo delays, 3 stereo ambient verbs (yes), one always-on light-touch stereo verb, stereo tremolo, stereo-send to real amps, stereo Helix amps, multiple feedback and trails linked to the expression pedal.
Indeed. I’m quite old-school post-rock and what Stomp can do many times is enough (for a home player). Mostly I’ll only need mono reverb->fuzz/distortion->mono delay->mono reverb->single amp and cab->maybe stereo room reverb if I feel luxurious. But I do also want and need something “freeze” and looper, and that’s where trouble begins.
This is how we roll in ambient/post-rock/P&W
Indeed :banana

i use both rows on my helix LT and am constantly running out of dsp. 2 amp models. 1 dual cab. 2 simple pitch. one reverb and 3 delays. gate. eq. phaser. boost.

id love to be able to use the poly pitch instead of the simple pitches.

the helix needs more dsp.
Yes I Agree , I think you should be able to run 1 poly effect per path if you wish and 1 amp / cab

I had said it before but if Helix could have a simplified version on Fractal channels maybe just A/B so you could have 2 amps on a block but only use 1 at a time that would be pretty cool
So snapshot 1 you have the Freidman on A
Snapshot 2 you have the Deluxe

So you have a limit of one amp per path but the AB actually gives you 4

Indeed. I’m quite old-school post-rock and what Stomp can do many times is enough (for a home player). Mostly I’ll only need mono reverb->fuzz/distortion->mono delay->mono reverb->single amp and cab->maybe stereo room reverb if I feel luxurious. But I do also want and need something “freeze” and looper, and that’s where trouble begins.

Indeed :banana
Yeah I could definitely make a stomp work if I needed to, stereo is a luxury that essentially doubles the DSP needed.

Having a reverb up front is a great technique for getting huge ambient tones, those delay and reverb trails crashing through drives and amp distortion to roar > sizzle > shimmer is where the magic happens.

Back