In other words, water is wet, the sky is blue . . .

Baba

Shredder
I mean, I guess I just feel like complaining, because I haven't been the "PRS market" for quite some time now, (they only make like, 1 model of what I like playing right now), like, many years, but I happened to have checked out a couple of new models' pricing this morning, and yeah, they have definitely priced me out of that brand, probably for good, except for the SE's.

My problem is, the S2's don't feel (to me) like a "pre-S2" American made model, so, I can't see fit to spend upwards of $2k on an S2, when you can get a minty older non-S2 for the same or less, and forget the Core line. Those are like RI's to me, can't do it.

This could be that there are more value choices out there than ever before, AND, I'm all about the LP vibe these days, and that's not quite PRS's bag throughout their entire line. For example, I'd definitely spend $2k+ on a new LP these days, but I'd much rather get an LTD EC-1000T, or hell, an ESP version, with SS frets and an ebony board for less than a new LP.

Still though, I'd take a new LP standard or Trad, over a Core PRS, or an LP Studio over an S2, and save some serious coin. I never thought I'd say that, but here we are . . .

I also have a bad case of the, "it cost this much 15-20 years ago, it shouldn't be this much now" going on. It's hard to escape that.

I spent $3,100.00 on my Custom 24 with rosewood neck and Artist Package, back in 2004, so spending $5k now on a non-Artist/non-rosewood neck version now, just doesn't sit right. That goes for everything though, cars, houses, you name it.

Boy have I gotten old, and quickly! :LOL:

P.S. - I think Gibson has done relatively well with this, they don't seem to have such a gap in their pricing, and more options between lines, so, another $500.00 or so, and you're into the next level up guitar (between studios, trads, classics, standards, etc).

I also have a bad case of the, "it cost this much 15-20 years ago, it shouldn't be this much now" going on. It's hard to escape that.

I spent $3,100.00 on my Custom 24 with rosewood neck and Artist Package, back in 2004, so spending $5k now on a non-Artist/non-rosewood neck version now, just doesn't sit right. That goes for everything though, cars, houses, you name it.

Ha - same!! I totally get it. And yes, we are old now. LMAO.

Ha - same!! I totally get it. And yes, we are old now. LMAO.
"I BOUGHT THIS 5 YEARS AGO FOR $600. WHY IS IT NOW OVER $2K!" :mad: :rofl

I believe it's the player more than the gear, so, I gig my SE Tremonti right along side everything else I own, and enjoy it. I'm good with SE's, they just don't offer a lot of different colors/finishes with some of those, so it's tough.

I'd love to see the SE245's offered in 8 different finishes, or with a regular or pattern neck option, but I understand why they don't.

I have a core PRS, bought back when that’s all there was. It’s a McCarty, and it’s a fantastic instrument that I’m always happy to play.

I really want a tremolo equipped one too, and I’ve always liked the way their double cut shape looks in one of their goldtop finishes. But, that’s gonna cost roughly $3500 out the door today even on a really good deal. I don’t really want to spend that much. But, that’s what the good stuff costs. It is what it is.

The SEs are fine guitars, and if pressed I could do anything I need to with one of those guitars. Give me any one of those and their HDRX20 and a few pedals (or just an HX stomp) and there isn’t much I ever need to do live that I couldn’t cover excellently.

That said, I’ve bought the “cheaper” guitar before, and I’m never really 100% happy with it as it doesn’t totally scratch the itch for me. I have an LP copy that’s a great guitar, but it hasn’t changed my desire to own a great Gibson model (probably a 3 pickup custom). I have a squire tele that’s a killer guitar, never gig it. If I buy an SE, I’m still going to wish I had the core guitar. Same goes for the Gibson stuff I want, sure I could get a good deal on a used sg cheap if I’m not too picky. That won’t change the fact that I wish I had a custom in white, and I’d still have that in the back of my head for “someday”.

I’ve learned the hard way that for me with guitars it’s “buy nice, or buy twice.” If my alternative is “buy nothing and play what you have until it makes sense to buy what you really want,” then so be it I’ll do that.

D

Wish I could have gotten in on the Core PRS guitars back before they were $4000+. I remember seeing used DGT's dipping just below $2k about five years ago, now they are closer to $3k.

I'm still a big fan of my CE-24 especially for the money. Carved top, even if it's not the super deep dish of the core models, and full thickness flame maple, not a veneer. It's more like a super Strat than a Les Paul but I think it sounds and plays great. And you can find them for about $1500 used in good condition.

Wish I could have gotten in on the Core PRS guitars back before they were $4000+. I remember seeing used DGT's dipping just below $2k about five years ago, now they are closer to $3k.

I'm still a big fan of my CE-24 especially for the money. Carved top, even if it's not the super deep dish of the core models, and full thickness flame maple, not a veneer. It's more like a super Strat than a Les Paul but I think it sounds and plays great. And you can find them for about $1500 used in good condition.

Those old DGT deals haunt me…. That was before I discovered how much I love a good tremolo…

D

That said, I’ve bought the “cheaper” guitar before, and I’m never really 100% happy with it as it doesn’t totally scratch the itch for me. I have an LP copy that’s a great guitar, but it hasn’t changed my desire to own a great Gibson model (probably a 3 pickup custom). I have a squire tele that’s a killer guitar, never gig it. If I buy an SE, I’m still going to wish I had the core guitar. Same goes for the Gibson stuff I want, sure I could get a good deal on a used sg cheap if I’m not too picky. That won’t change the fact that I wish I had a custom in white, and I’d still have that in the back of my head for “someday”.

I’ve learned the hard way that for me with guitars it’s “buy nice, or buy twice.” If my alternative is “buy nothing and play what you have until it makes sense to buy what you really want,” then so be it I’ll do that.

D

I agree, and I wasn't completely forthcoming about my Tremonti SE. I bought it used, and the previous owner had already updgraded it to a Mann American trem, upgraded the pots and switch, the pickups, the nut, and the tuners, so, it's basically only the bones that are "SE". I even upgraded further to make it a 2-knob (master volume and master tone) setup with a coil tap.

So, I'm not playing an "off the shelf" SE. With these upgrades, it feels MUCH closer to an S2 or even beyond, quality level.

Right, and I bet I'd enjoy your CE more than a new one, that's my point.

Used to be a fan boy. I don't like their business model now and will only be buying used.

What exactly about their business model do you not like?

I agree, and I wasn't completely forthcoming about my Tremonti SE. I bought it used, and the previous owner had already updgraded it to a Mann American trem, upgraded the pots and switch, the pickups, the nut, and the tuners, so, it's basically only the bones that are "SE". I even upgraded further to make it a 2-knob (master volume and master tone) setup with a coil tap.

So, I'm not playing an "off the shelf" SE. With these upgrades, it feels MUCH closer to an S2 or even beyond, quality level.

Right, and I bet I'd enjoy your CE more than a new one, that's my point.

What exactly about their business model do you not like?
Nearly everything they do with each model is designed to entice buyers to buy the next model higher, and higher, until you decide to spring for a core model.

Aside from that I also don't like stuff like proprietary pickup shapes on some models so you can't easily change them.

Nearly everything they do with each model is designed to entice buyers to buy the next model higher, and higher, until you decide to spring for a core model.

Aside from that I also don't like stuff like proprietary pickup shapes on some models so you can't easily change them.

I don’t see that. They don’t make the SE to sell more core guitars, they make it for people who can’t buy a core and still want a good guitar in that style. If you can readily drop $3-7K for a guitar, you probably aren’t looking at things that cost $700. They can’t possibly put all the things in the $700 model that they put in a $5K model, otherwise it wouldn’t really be a $5K model it would be a highly overpriced $700 model.

If this is a business model you don’t like, you are left with very few places to buy a guitar. Fender and Gibson do the same thing (have guitars from inexpensive to crazy money with enticing things as you go up that ladder).

If you’ve got the tastes for the higher end stuff, you’re just gonna have to save and spring for the real thing. No sense hating on the manufacturers for making stuff that you like but don’t want to spend what it costs. It’s not like they’re being unreasonable. They make nearly everything in house with the best materials they can and they do it in the USA, that’s gonna be expensive no matter what shape it is, what style of music it is aimed at, or whose name is on the headstock. If you don’t want to spend that or can’t, they have more affordable options that make some trade offs to hit a price point. How dare them…

bazinga GIF

I don’t see that. They don’t make the SE to sell more core guitars, they make it for people who can’t buy a core and still want a good guitar in that style. If you can readily drop $3-7K for a guitar, you probably aren’t looking at things that cost $700. They can’t possibly put all the things in the $700 model that they put in a $5K model, otherwise it wouldn’t really be a $5K model it would be a highly overpriced $700 model.

If this is a business model you don’t like, you are left with very few places to buy a guitar. Fender and Gibson do the same thing (have guitars from inexpensive to crazy money with enticing things as you go up that ladder).

If you’ve got the tastes for the higher end stuff, you’re just gonna have to save and spring for the real thing. No sense hating on the manufacturers for making stuff that you like but don’t want to spend what it costs. It’s not like they’re being unreasonable. They make nearly everything in house with the best materials they can and they do it in the USA, that’s gonna be expensive no matter what shape it is, what style of music it is aimed at, or whose name is on the headstock. If you don’t want to spend that or can’t, they have more affordable options that make some trade offs to hit a price point. How dare them…

D
How can't you see it?

The SE is X dollars. For just a little more you can get better features on the next model up. Oh but the next model up has something not so great about it, so for just a little more you can buy the next model up. But then it's probably a similar situation again so if you just save a little more, BOOM, now you can get a core model. I've seen it discussed before by potential customers.

Upper tier SE and lower end core are the best bang for the buck IMO. YMMV

Last edited:
I've never really had much interest in PRS at all, but recently there are some fairly serious thoughts in my head about grabbing a semi hollow CE 24 sometime next year. Pretty steep, but still coming in at slightly les than a new LP standard is currently retailing for

If I ever want one should probably act before another price hike happens

So glad I bought my S2 Satin for just under a grand around 2016. I wasn't even looking for it, it was handed to me and I didn't want to hand it back.

Thinking I'd want to get something higher up the ladder I started trying Core models and even other non-Satin S2s without really liking any of them. The price didn't help either. Turns out I don't like a lot of PRSi, just the Satin S2 with a chunky neck. Lucky for my wallet.

So glad I bought my S2 Satin for just under a grand around 2016. I wasn't even looking for it, it was handed to me and I didn't want to hand it back.

Thinking I'd want to get something higher up the ladder I started trying Core models and even other non-Satin S2s without really liking any of them. The price didn't help either. Turns out I don't like a lot of PRSi, just the Satin S2 with a chunky neck. Lucky for my wallet.

Yeah it's crazy how much the price increased on those! They were under $1k for quite a while, and I think I had seen them drop to $900 occasionally. I got one in a trade a little over a year ago and have watched USED prices climb up over $1k. Right now I've got a Dimarzio 36th PAF in the bridge and PAF Master in the neck of mine. It's a little more clarity over stock but can still rock. Might throw a hotter pickup in the bridge at some point, also have a super switch I may install to get some different split options.

@Holden Afart - not sure how PRS is different from other companies in terms of feature creep. Fender and Gibson do the exact same thing, offering cheap imports at the $200 range all the way up to their custom shop $5k+ instruments. I can't think of many brands that don't do that, outside of high end builders that cost $3k or companies like Reverend/Duesenberg where all the guitars are imports.

Also, PRS pickups are almost all standard shaped, outside the narrow field ones which are only on a couple core models. All the pickups on the SE, S2, and CE line are standard shape.

Back