In other words, water is wet, the sky is blue . . .

So after this thread has been out here and we’re talking about SEs, I see last night that there’s a DGT SE coming out…. Will this make me eat my words on buying an SE instead of the guitar I really want? Maybe…

D

I was originally pretty excited about the concept, but when I saw the pics of the prototype guitar I was reminded how much I dislike the flat top with the rounded edges. I had a Custom 24 SE and liked it at first but I guess I'm spoiled by the S2 and CE models I have now. I think if the SE DGT has the fatter neck (which it should given the promo), a slightly thicker body, and bigger frets, it will be a heck of a guitar. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling it's going to be $1k or more.

For me, I have an S2 Standard 24 which I think will do the job for that kind of sound. I put a Dimarzio 36th PAF in the bridge and a PAF Master in the neck, so I have the PAF style pickups with the lower output neck and hotter bridge already. I have a 5-way super switch ready to install for split tones. Honestly the tone is more balanced on this guitar than my Les Paul, plus it sounds fuller unplugged and is lighter weight with a more comfortable neck.

I would bet it will be a great seller though, just like the Zach whoever from Shinedown model was.

The neck profile on my SE is exactly why I’m selling it. I loved it before I got my Strats, it felt like a thin-C, pre-Strats, but now it feels like a very thin D-shape with really flat shoulders and now feels really uncomfortable and foreign to play. That and I was mostly going for split-coil tones with it when I dig actual single coils considerably more.

Was that the profile for the Silver Sky or the wide thin on something like a Custom 24? I found the exact same thing with my PRS SE. At first it was nice but when I got other guitars with fatter necks I preferred a little more depth. Same thing with the LTD EC-1000 and the Charvel DK24. I just don't like thin flat D profiles.

Even now, I find my Fender with a little thinner C and my PRS CE with the Pattern Thin to be just a little thinner than I prefer. The S2 profile is great, more like a vintage Les Paul shape, not super fat but medium and progressively thicker up the neck.

I was originally pretty excited about the concept, but when I saw the pics of the prototype guitar I was reminded how much I dislike the flat top with the rounded edges. I had a Custom 24 SE and liked it at first but I guess I'm spoiled by the S2 and CE models I have now. I think if the SE DGT has the fatter neck (which it should given the promo), a slightly thicker body, and bigger frets, it will be a heck of a guitar. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling it's going to be $1k or more.

For me, I have an S2 Standard 24 which I think will do the job for that kind of sound. I put a Dimarzio 36th PAF in the bridge and a PAF Master in the neck, so I have the PAF style pickups with the lower output neck and hotter bridge already. I have a 5-way super switch ready to install for split tones. Honestly the tone is more balanced on this guitar than my Les Paul, plus it sounds fuller unplugged and is lighter weight with a more comfortable neck.

I would bet it will be a great seller though, just like the Zach whoever from Shinedown model was.

Was that the profile for the Silver Sky or the wide thin on something like a Custom 24? I found the exact same thing with my PRS SE. At first it was nice but when I got other guitars with fatter necks I preferred a little more depth. Same thing with the LTD EC-1000 and the Charvel DK24. I just don't like thin flat D profiles.

Even now, I find my Fender with a little thinner C and my PRS CE with the Pattern Thin to be just a little thinner than I prefer. The S2 profile is great, more like a vintage Les Paul shape, not super fat but medium and progressively thicker up the neck.

My biggest hangup with the non core models has always been the body shaping. I could probably live with the newer CE style, but I still want the full carve of the core model. Still, it’s a goldtop prs with a trem and the style of pickups I mostly use…. I won’t buy one, I’d still want the real thing. It is tempting though.

I bet they’ll sell a lot of them, cool to see another affordable option for a great guitar coming out.

D

My biggest hangup with the non core models has always been the body shaping. I could probably live with the newer CE style, but I still want the full carve of the core model. Still, it’s a goldtop prs with a trem and the style of pickups I mostly use…. I won’t buy one, I’d still want the real thing. It is tempting though.

I bet they’ll sell a lot of them, cool to see another affordable option for a great guitar coming out.

D

I actually like the CE carve a fair amount, although I've never owned a true Core model. For the double cut guitars, it's quite comfy and with flame tops probably helps save some cost.

The S2 bevels though I only like for the mahogany body models. For things like the Mira or Vela I think they are nice and better than a pure flat top. It reminds me of the SG quite a bit, especially with a pickguard. But for the flame top models like the Customs and McCarty's, it's cheap looking.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2NlLTI0LWRhcmstY2hlcnJ5LXN1bmJ1cnN0LTIwMjAuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLWN1c3RvbS0yNC1kYXJrLWNoZXJyeS1zdW5idXJzdC0yMDIwLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLWN1c3RvbS0yNC1ibGFjay1nb2xkLWJ1cnN0LTIwMjEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLXN0YW5kYXJkLTI0LWJsYWNrLTIwMjAuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

Word from multiple places has it in the $800's, which is really good imho.

I actually like the CE carve a fair amount, although I've never owned a true Core model. For the double cut guitars, it's quite comfy and with flame tops probably helps save some cost.

The S2 bevels though I only like for the mahogany body models. For things like the Mira or Vela I think they are nice and better than a pure flat top. It reminds me of the SG quite a bit, especially with a pickguard. But for the flame top models like the Customs and McCarty's, it's cheap looking.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2NlLTI0LWRhcmstY2hlcnJ5LXN1bmJ1cnN0LTIwMjAuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLWN1c3RvbS0yNC1kYXJrLWNoZXJyeS1zdW5idXJzdC0yMDIwLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLWN1c3RvbS0yNC1ibGFjay1nb2xkLWJ1cnN0LTIwMjEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3MyLXN0YW5kYXJkLTI0LWJsYWNrLTIwMjAuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

I didn’t realize there was that much difference between those models. The CE looks really good there.

D

I didn’t realize there was that much difference between those models. The CE looks really good there.

D

It's a really good guitar!

Here's mine. Note the super flamey top which is solid maple, not veneered.

My old S2 Mira looked good with the bevels, like an SG. Wish the guitar wasn't so dark and muddy though. My S2 Standard is much more balanced sounding.

And my first PRS, an SE Custom 24. Good guitar but I really think the USA models are a cut above. Here you can see the flame veneer is really boring and the top is mostly flat with a little bevel, again kind of boring. I liked the bound ebony board though.

May as well post my S2 Standard as well:

51804643547_2e630f0e5e_b.jpg

It's a really good guitar!

Here's mine. Note the super flamey top which is solid maple, not veneered.

My old S2 Mira looked good with the bevels, like an SG. Wish the guitar wasn't so dark and muddy though. My S2 Standard is much more balanced sounding.

And my first PRS, an SE Custom 24. Good guitar but I really think the USA models are a cut above. Here you can see the flame veneer is really boring and the top is mostly flat with a little bevel, again kind of boring. I liked the bound ebony board though.

May as well post my S2 Standard as well:

51804643547_2e630f0e5e_b.jpg

Nice collection! I really like that CE. I almost bought one in trampas green last year that caught my eye.

D

Back