If I heard you play which 3 players would I be reminded of?

The Gear Forum imagined :giggle:

View attachment 22623

The Gear Forum realized :oops:

BthdBarclay_2292wb-900x733.jpg
I recognize some of those ladies from my needlepoint club!

It depends, if I’m trying to learn something I sound like any 3 guys fighting over possession of one electric guitar while it is plugged in and amp on 10.

If I’m playing something I think I’ve learned I sound like any three guys you’ve seen in a bar band that didn’t make you want to turn around and walk out as you enter the bar…but you also never bother to watch them play because you already can do that…

But I always Love doing it!😊

I am not sure if I sound like anyone famous. I heard a statement in the latest interview with Warren Haynes that struck a note with me. He was talking about either Dwayne or Dickie and he said they were talking about another guitar player and he said "he is a lick player." I completely understood that statement. I am NOT a lick player. I purposely focused on learning how to play in all of the keys and work the scales. I never focused on learning licks that I would chain together. I found patterns within the scales that I like and use those as well as passing through other parts of the scales. The patterns I go to at times are in no way unique to me. But I think my approach makes me sound different than others. I am not heavily influenced by anyone.

When I was teaching, I had some guys that were going down that road of learning licks. There is nothing wrong with that but it wasn't the path I took. I feel you are okay to learn licks as long as you know where they come from and why they work. I also don't like watching someone play that is a lick player. I recently saw someone that I had not seen play before. He has a few go to fast licks and he plays them in almost every song. I had a number of people tell me that he rips on the guitar before I saw him. After about 5 songs my opinion was that he is kind of a one trick pony. He perfected 3 to 5 licks and can play them really fast but I got real tired of hearing those licks in the first set. By the end of set 2 they were super annoying to me. That is exactly what I have strived to not be as a player.

I think my constant state of “eh” keeps a bit of a fire under my ass.

Don't ever lose that - it's keeps it fun when every now and then you surprise yourself.

A solid dose of Plini, Aaron Marshall, Richard Henshall, etc. and I'm right back to thinking "eh" though!

You’re going to hear a heck of a lot more than three people in my playing. In my bar band days I would put a lot of time studying the style of iconic players when we were covering one of their songs. So right off the top of my head on those we have Keith Richards, Joe Walsh, and Pete Townshend. Townshend was an influence, the other two not so much, but they’re in there because I put the time in learning how to mimic their styles. As far as who I was really interested in when starting out, that’s pretty varied as well. But Malcolm Young and Tipton & Downing are probably the main guys. There’s some Santana in there as well.

You’re going to hear a heck of a lot more than three people in my playing. In my bar band days I would put a lot of time studying the style of iconic players when we were covering one of their songs. So right off the top of my head on those we have Keith Richards, Joe Walsh, and Pete Townshend. Townshend was an influence, the other two not so much, but they’re in there because I put the time in learning how to mimic their styles. As far as who I was really interested in when starting out, that’s pretty varied as well. But Malcolm Young and Tipton & Downing are probably the main guys. There’s some Santana in there as well.
That's a good point about how our playing evolves over the years. If the same question were asked of me in the 90's I might also say Santana, Beck and Jimi. Perhaps some Gilmour and SRV styling too. I played a lot of clean and funky stuff back then as well. I'm a mutt but I've always tried to stick to my inside voice on guitar. I'd rather not be a clone.

Back