Idea: official gear captures to try before you buy?

James Freeman

Rock Star
Let's say brands like Marshall, Mesa, Boss, etc. share official captures on their website to try the gear without leaving home.
Do you think it will be good for business?

Whatshisface (Morgan Amps?) sold profiles of his amp iirc? Not sure how much worthwhile business he got from it. Might be interesting to see that data?

Whatshisface (Morgan Amps?) sold profiles of his amp iirc? Not sure how much worthwhile business he got from it. Might be interesting to see that data?
1678217496275.gif

I don't think it would work.

Most guitarists interested in tube amps are not in the same group as the ones with the tech knowhow who would enjoy trying out a capture of an amp first. I feel like a lot of people would just take that capture and run with it without ever buying the real amp, especially now with the cheap Tonex pedal.

I think YT gear demos are more than good enough for getting people excited to buy an amp. When the Victory VC35 was released I watched every YT demo video of it, which was maybe like 8 at the time. Bought the amp and yeah, it sounded very much like in the demos.

Strymon alone has sold me so many of their pedals with the "deep dive with Walter White Pete Celi" videos they make. He explains what they were going for and make me go "huh, I might need one of those after all!"

Back