I made the mistake of listening to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Paul Gilbert

Hahaha I didn’t even need virtuosos to make me feel like sh*t today; I picked up my Strat and my fingers just weren’t moving. It generally doesn’t make me actually laugh out loud, but it was so damn bad today I could only laugh.

And I feel like less of a creative individual because you paint and I don’t.

Ugh I feel you! It was great growing up in the 80s but as a young guitar player, if you weren't George Lynch Jr.; it was tough :( Players were soooooooo OTT in the best of ways but then you pick up the guitar yourself, no matter how much "practice" and still sounded like :poop:

Ugh I feel you! It was great growing up in the 80s but as a young guitar player, if you weren't George Lynch Jr.; it was tough :( Players were soooooooo OTT in the best of ways but then you pick up the guitar yourself, no matter how much "practice" and still sounded like :poop:

I had it kind of strange; I started playing in ‘94 and I was a weird 11 year old, I was obsessed with Floyd (some things don’t change) while Tupac, Dre and Snoop were all my friends were listening to. Then I got into Vai/Dream Theater in 8th grade as Korn, Limp Bizkit and Deftones were becoming the new guitar hero guys, so once I was in high school, I was a dork because I was into technical playing and shred stuff. There was a small group of what we called ”crunchies” that would never say anything to me, but they’d bust my balls to my girlfriend all the time. :rofl “Why do those guys keep saying you have a g*y guitar?” (my JEM, which was called the “Elvis guitar” most often)

It didn’t help that I was a f*cking dork to begin with.

33D731D5-9501-46BC-97C5-244AF87BC8D2.jpeg

It wasn’t until my Junior year, after discovering Pantera and Fear Factory, getting my first 7-string and my place became the place everyone would get wasted at on the weekends that I became almost “cool”. :ROFLMAO:

I had it kind of strange; I started playing in ‘94 and I was a weird 11 year old, I was obsessed with Floyd (some things don’t change) while Tupac, Dre and Snoop were all my friends were listening to. Then I got into Vai/Dream Theater in 8th grade as Korn, Limp Bizkit and Deftones were becoming the new guitar hero guys, so once I was in high school, I was a dork because I was into technical playing and shred stuff. There was a small group of what we called ”crunchies” that would never say anything to me, but they’d bust my balls to my girlfriend all the time. :rofl “Why do those guys keep saying you have a g*y guitar?” (my JEM, which was called the “Elvis guitar” most often)

It didn’t help that I was a f*cking dork to begin with.

View attachment 13

It wasn’t until my Junior year, after discovering Pantera and Fear Factory, getting my first 7-string and my place became the place everyone would get wasted at on the weekends that I became almost “cool”. :ROFLMAO:
I LOVED really all the shreddy guitar stuff as well as the gangster stuff. I worked in a kitchen when I was 19 and this line cook turned me on to Ice-T and Straight Outta Compton and I was done for :love:

I LOVED really all the shreddy guitar stuff as well as the gangster stuff. I worked in a kitchen when I was 19 and this line cook turned me on to Ice-T and Straight Outta Compton and I was done for :love:

Hahahahha I wish that were on the radio at the time I was a line cook….well, all 20 years I worked in kitchens. “Gold digger” was REALLY popular when I started cooking. We used to rotate what we could listen to at night, until I started playing Killswitch and the line cooks were like “Nah dawg, we ain’t doin that screaming sh*t” :ROFLMAO:

Oh man Howard Jones was sooooooooo killer back in the day :love:

He’s still great and seems like a really, really great dude. He’s on Jasta’s podcast all the time! That’s where he first told the whole story of what happened when left KSE, the dude almost took himself out and it wasn’t looking good for a while for him. I saw him with Light The Torch about 2 years ago and he killed it. He was probably the oldest guy on that stage that night and showed all these younger guys, ALL playing to a ton of tracks, how to go out and tear it up. I love that him and Jesse get along great and have no problems sharing the stage these days.

God....all that neoclassical crap I was hung up on and the hours I spent high on speed practicing ungodly hard phrases that although they sound cool af really have no feel. I have zero interest in that shit as an old man. I mean who can really sit down and stomach an entire yngwie malmsteen album in it's entirety?

God....all that neoclassical crap I was hung up on and the hours I spent high on speed practicing ungodly hard phrases that although they sound cool af really have no feel. I have zero interest in that s**t as an old man. I mean who can really sit down and stomach an entire yngwie malmsteen album in it's entirety?
Marching Out like a mutha! \m/

His solos were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Man. I'm not fully stuck in 80s mode but he just had the best knack for phrasing \m/
One album I can always listen to in it's entirety is Lynch Mob's wicked sensation album. Crazy good solo work on that. Kinda sad seeing some of his performances today.... especially when he tries to use a Les Paul and do crazy solos...and it's all out of tune 😂

…while I was painting.

Now I feel like a chimpanzee when I pick up the guitar.

:bag

I clearly remember first time I've heard Steve Vai in 1990 when Passion and Warfare came out.

I knew nothing about him and I wasn't into 80s shredder/hair metal music but after hearing Sisters on the radio I've decided to buy the album for my father, thinking he might have liked that kind of music, LOL how much I was wrong!

Back home I've realized that Sisters was not representative of the whole album so I kept the record for me.

When I played it for the first time I was shocked.
I loved and still love that record so much but it made me feel so small and useless as a player at the time.

Later on I've realized that shredding is not really my playing style and 32 years later I still don't listen to shredders and don't care much for high speed guitar solos.

Back