I love plastidip. I love blacked out amps.

Desertdweller

Roadie
Recently blacked out my favorite amp. I've had the badlander ever since launch, the serial number is sub-100. As a long time Mark, Recto, and Triaxis player, this is simply one of the top amps Mesa has made. Plastidip on the faceplate, a blue LED jammed into the pilot light, and some black recto knobs make all the difference:

20220928_141449.jpg
20220928_141424.jpg
20220928_142006.jpg
20220928_143546.jpg
20220928_150607.jpg

That's a bold move but extremely well executed and IMO looks way better. Kudos!

I've never owned a Mesa amp...kind of wish I had one that appealed to me. Always really appreciated the build quality. But the Mark series missed me on one side and the Rectos missed me on the other. I like that Marshall thing I guess.

I NEARLY traded my Kemper for a Mesa Mark V 25 last year, but I didn't dig the direct out option. Ended up selling the Kemper to get my Ibanez AZ which I'm cool with.

I don't mind the chrome on the faceplate. The knobs are fine as is. Black knobs with the white dot are :satan though \m/

I think @JerEvil had this done on one of his amps as well. Blacked out is always the way.

I still kind of want the rack mount version of this amp :bag
Can I just say I love that most all of the recent high-gain Mesa amps are rackmount-able? Mark V35, TC50/100, JP2C+, Badlander 50/100 - all rackmountable amps released in the last 5-10 years. Now if only they would release a new preamp, I’d love to see a modern take on the Triaxis.

I’ve also seen it ‘save’ a few XXX heads from the tacky mudflap chicks on the faceplate. They’re still there, obviously, but having it all blacked out makes it less noticeable.
Yeah that would be an upgrade and a half. Still want one of those amps but can't ever quite get the desire to hunt one down and actually get it.

Yeah that would be an upgrade and a half. Still want one of those amps but can't ever quite get the desire to hunt one down and actually get it.

If I found one for under $500 I’d buy one again in a heartbeat. My buddy Nacho has the one we’ve been sharing between us for the last 17 years or so, so I always have one if I *need* one, but if I were to buy a Peavey again I don’t think I’d settle for much else but a 5150 or a 6505 at this point.

A 6505 popped up for $750 or $800 a couple weeks ago locally and I almost bought it because I haven’t seen them at that price since before Ed passed, but I checked on Reverb and it seems they’re all coming down in price to a reasonable level.

What is different about the badlander than regular Recto’s? I had a dual rec years ago, and have had a mark v for about 12 or so years now

What is different about the badlander than regular Recto’s? I had a dual rec years ago, and have had a mark v for about 12 or so years now
Badlander has some of the grind of a Dual Rec, but it is a very different amp. The tone stack is post, more like a 5150, sounds better at lower volumes, and sounds great with or without a boost, for metal. It’s a rare amp that is difficult to mess up - you can’t really sound bad with it. You can turn any of the knobs all the way on or all the way off and the amp still sounds good, you can use EL34s or 6L6s and there are benefits either way. Then there’s the IR loader built in, and it becomes a perfect tool to use live or in a studio.

So yeah, I’m a fan for sure. Personally, it has an amazing grind with an SD1 out front.

Back