I just geeked out on picks...

Went back and ordered some more Pickboy picks. I got that sample pack quite a while ago and really like the Fibertex, only now they don't seem to have any more. I gave away most of my sample pack to my son who plays more metal than I do and he won't give them back! They're pretty thick even at .75mm.

Their Nylon and Nylon Carbon at .60mm are much more rigid and stiff compared to Tortex but feel and sound good.

20240110_062900.jpg

Im trying to change the way I attack the strings (again) so a slightly heavier pick helps and I love the way these feel.

I have been trying out many different picks and every time I think I have found the "one" I grab something else and go... Ohhhh, this one is nice!

For instance, I got these Gravity JHS picks with a couple pedals I bought and just tossed them to the side because they seemed like cookie cutter plastic picks. I had never really looked into Gravity as brand. Then one day I needed a pick in a pinch, and I started playing with one and they have been my go-to pick for the last couple months!

IMG_E5760.JPG

I ordered a couple Blue Chip and Hawk picks.
I also order a few Howling Monkey picks because of @metropolis_4 ...

The Blue Chips and Hawks remind me of Dunlop's Primetone Jazz III and XL. The Hawk picks look and feel incredible. The Blue Chips are nice too, but I definitely don't see myself paying another $70 to replace these picks once they're lost or worn out.

I wanted so badly to like the Howling Monkey picks. The concept is super cool (they are made from nuts!), the prices are reasonable, and they look great. However, they fly out of my hand like nothing else. These feel like Dragonheart picks, but they have no grip. I should say, my hands are super dry (winter, yo), but the Hawk and Blue Chip picks don't slide out of my hand nearly as easily. The etched grip doesn't help at all. The hole helps a little, but it feels weird in the hand. I'm going to keep these in rotation because, again, I want to like them. I just need to get a literal hold on them first.

IMG_0850.jpeg

These have become my new go-to.

Jazz III size with a bit more versatility and better tone on acoustic instruments

View attachment 17106
Ha that’s funny, I came to exactly the same conclusion almost 8 years ago now. Before that, I always used ultex jazz iii’s on electric and .5 or .6 standard nylons on acoustic, but I got fed up with that and started on my quest to find the pick that works for everything. On acoustic I find ultex way too “plinky”. Every now and again I’ll try something else but there is something about the feel and sound of .88 tortex on acoustic that I always come back to.
I don’t actually use the m3’s anymore but the .88 green small jazz from intune with custom printing for my band, use them as business cards as well and I much prefer handing out picks to handing out business cards!

Back