I joined a new band. I think???

TJontheRoad

Roadie
Last month, a drummer friend of mine whom I've jammed with in the past asked me to join up with his latest project. It's mostly an original band with a classic easy rock kind of sound and a female singer. I swore off being in a band some time ago because of the typical always ongoing band drama that happens. So I at first turned down the offer. But, I then kind of felt I was being a jerk to an old friend who wanted me to help out. I changed my mind and agreed to come play at an audition. This with a couple requests from myself. First, was I was going to play only keyboards (they wanted both keys and guitar. Too much gear for me to drag around. They already have a guitarist). Second, the band would learn and play some of my own originals. They agreed to the keyboards only thing and liked my tunes I wanted to play.

I learned all their material (about 8 tunes), nailed the audition, and was immediately asked to join. I agreed and was ready to get going. This was almost 2 weeks ago. Since then, they can't seem to agree to another practice date. Everyone is very busy. The bass player gigs in another band too. This, even though I was told practices were supposedly every Friday. Last proposal for a practice date is way into next month. That's not even yet fully firmed up.

Did I join a band? I'm not really sure anymore?

1729353745801.jpeg

Last night's one on one with the band's guitarist left me a bit underwhelmed. Good thing. He's very nice guy and we seemed to have a lot in common. Not so good thing. He was having difficulties learning the guitar parts to my 3 songs that we were going over. This, even though I showed the parts for him on my guitar and played the isolated guitar tracks from my Xplosition album I released last year. This stuff isn't very complicated. Just basic chords and arrangements. I sent him charts of the tunes before meeting. Not sure if he looked at them before coming over.

Maybe he was loosing interest, couldn't handle the material, or my stuff doesn't jive with his playing style. Either way, I'm not certain where this goes from here if anywhere.

I always feel like every band I'm in is like banging my head up against the wall.

iu

Last night's one on one with the band's guitarist left me a bit underwhelmed. Good thing. He's very nice guy and we seemed to have a lot in common. Not so good thing. He was having difficulties learning the guitar parts to my 3 songs that we were going over. This, even though I showed the parts for him on my guitar and played the isolated guitar tracks from my Xplosition album I released last year. This stuff isn't very complicated. Just basic chords and arrangements. I sent him charts of the tunes before meeting. Not sure if he looked at them before coming over.

Maybe he was loosing interest, couldn't handle the material, or my stuff doesn't jive with his playing style. Either way, I'm not certain where this goes from here if anywhere.

I always feel like every band I'm in is like banging my head up against the wall.

iu
I think if you weren't immediately excited, you know the answer. :(

Have you been actively pursuing a band, or did this just sort of "happen?"

Sounds JUST like a band to me! :LOL:

Don't count that other guitarist out quite yet. It can be tough learning someone else's material, might take him a bit to adjust your riffs thru the lens of how he plays.

Good luck man!

I think if you weren't immediately excited, you know the answer. :(

Have you been actively pursuing a band, or did this just sort of "happen?"

I wasn’t looking for a band. The drummer reached out to me and asked me to join. See my OP.
Sounds JUST like a band to me! :LOL:

Don't count that other guitarist out quite yet. It can be tough learning someone else's material, might take him a bit to adjust your riffs thru the lens of how he plays.

Good luck man!

I can have some appreciation of this. OTOH, I learned all of their material, 8 songs, with little difficulty. Last night, I also wanted to fine tune a couple small detail's within their songs. We never got that far even after 2 hours.

As you get older; original bands become infinitely more difficult to form and maintain. I hate it.

There is generally no financial reward so that incentive is out the window almost immediately. Which leaves the thrill of songwriting (which is awesome) and the thrill of gigging. Which for older musicians can be tough because the musicians are a lot of times in cover bands that get booked from a little to a LOT. Making getting them to focus on the unpaid original gig even more difficult. Ugh. Hope you can get it sorted and are able to make it happen TJ!

Back