I HATE GOLD HARDWARE

Ever seen one of them up real close? The couple I got a look at has some serious flaws with the chrome finish. Nothing you'd see unless you were looking but as a buyer I'd have been a bit ticked.
It's a tricky finish I would imagine. I seem to remember an article or something that mentioned Ibanez updated the formula for the better? I could be totally wrong though.

I actually dig the gold hardware on the wine red Les Paul Studios... but in general i dont like gold or nickel hardware. I will take brushed chrome, or black all day!

This thread is not going the way I expected
Stop Ok GIF by NETFLIX

My old Artist still has remnants of gold on the bridge and tailpiece. It's 46 yrs. old so its earned it.

Ever seen one of them up real close? The couple I got a look at has some serious flaws with the chrome finish. Nothing you'd see unless you were looking but as a buyer I'd have been a bit ticked.

The original JS2 Chromeboys were actual chrome over wood and when the wood moved the finish would crack, which is why Satch’s has tape all over it. You can see it going back to the G3 vid from ‘96.

The 2nd run they did, the JS10th,I believe was a mirror finish over lucite and the most recent one was like a vinyl wrap material you could indent with you finger over wood. Those both held up well.

I’ve played a JS10th at Carter’s in Nashville, they had it just chilling on the rack with all the other used guitars, finish was in great condition!

IMG_3579.jpeg

Certain guitars look nice with gold, but only if it's done tastefully.
My 20th Majesty has gold PU pole pieces/screws, toggle switches, and trem pivots. Just enough.

If it also had gold tuners, trem, & knobs, that would be crossing the line into gaudy territory.

But a LPC Silverburst, for example, with gold? NFW

A Black Beauty, or white? Hell yeah!

And I also agree it looks bad as it starts to wear off. "Wear" is one thing; "Wearing/flaking" off? No.

I have a Hamer Korina Vector with gold hardware, and it's been sitting in its case for few years. When I dug it out last week there was a lot of pitting on the v shaped tailpiece plate and some on the neck pickup, so I tried cleaning a spot on the tailpiece. Oops - Dunlop 65 removed the pitting and the gold plating on it. I'm looking for a replacement plate (I'm thinking it's probably just a WD part that Hamer used). The guitar was bought new but had a heel crack that was repaired so it's one of my pristine beaters. After I fubar'd the gold I got it setup pretty nice and spent a couple hours sampling the Marshall and tweed presets in the Tonex pedal. Vectors need an angry amp - can't imagine playing clean on that guitar.

Attachments

• 1000000079.jpg
    1000000079.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 17
I agree and PRS is this worst for this and other horrible design choices
The new Les Paul supreme charcoal burst looks amazing
Until the freaking gold

I also am not too crazy about gold hardware as it fades out but it does look good on my LTD

:idk

But then again in not crazy about shiny chrome I much prefer satin Nickel

Image.jpeg

I have a Hamer Korina Vector with gold hardware, and it's been sitting in its case for few years. When I dug it out last week there was a lot of pitting on the v shaped tailpiece plate and some on the neck pickup, so I tried cleaning a spot on the tailpiece. Oops - Dunlop 65 removed the pitting and the gold plating on it. I'm looking for a replacement plate (I'm thinking it's probably just a WD part that Hamer used). The guitar was bought new but had a heel crack that was repaired so it's one of my pristine beaters. After I fubar'd the gold I got it setup pretty nice and spent a couple hours sampling the Marshall and tweed presets in the Tonex pedal. Vectors need an angry amp - can't imagine playing clean on that guitar.
One of those rare exceptions: gold hardware and natural korina were made for each other.

I also am not too crazy about gold hardware as it fades out but it does look good on my LTD

:idk

But then again in not crazy about shiny chrome I much prefer satin Nickel

View attachment 19345
I'm not crazy about gold either, but with that binding, your guitar is very tastefully done and would not look right with silver, chrome, etc HW. Most other guitars with gold hardware guitars I see just look gaudy to me and remind me of our average Florida Walmart shopper wearing their "Bling" YMMV

Last edited:
Back