I did it and I don't feel bad about it

So…instead of looking for a power amp for my axe fx 3…I should just buy an EVH 50W Stealth. Got it. 👍🏻
No need to limit yourself that much. There are other viable power amp options...

IMG_6178.jpeg

Man, the EVH 50w effects loops are just special for modelers IMO. I've tried many different amps like that and the EVH 50s are always best for me. At some point I learned that they are NOT tube buffered, while so many other amps (including the EVH 100s) are. I'm guessing it may be due to that, but I'm not at all sure. But my FM9 plays incredibly well with my 50w Stealth.

Yeah, this really blew me away. I assumed because of shitty power in my apartment and the absurd amount of things I have plugged into 2 different outlets would cause some hum/buzz, but I’ve got the FM9 in 4CM with the 50 Watt 6L6 and it’s flawless. I’m not even using any noise gates, I can hang on the red channel with a boost without any additional hiss than I’d expect from a tube amp.

The MIDI programming on the EVH was so simple that I had the FM9 switching amp channels with Scenes within about 5 minutes and it was the first time I used the MIDI block in a Fractal unit.

So…instead of looking for a power amp for my axe fx 3…I should just buy an EVH 50W Stealth. Got it. 👍🏻

That’s actually exactly how I ended up with mine. I wanted a tube power section for my FM9 into real cabs, was debating actual power amps but was kinda thinkin’ I’d maybe go with a high gain head that I could either use on it’s own or as a slave, then a 50-watt w/ a 2x12 popped up for dirt cheap and made the decision for me.

No need to limit yourself that much. There are other viable power amp options...

View attachment 16722

I’m a bit jealous of the dual concentric pots on the Blue/Green channels. I’m just realizing now there’s one on the Gain as well, not just the volume. I want that, damnit. I’m guessing mine is an early run 6L6, because it’s also missing that 6L6 badge on the face.

IMG_5389.jpeg

I’m a bit jealous of the dual concentric pots on the Blue/Green channels. I’m just realizing now there’s one on the Gain as well, not just the volume. I want that, damnit. I’m guessing mine is an early run 6L6, because it’s also missing that 6L6 badge on the face.
Not sure if he's still taking on jobs, but if he is, you can contact Howard Kaplan to upgrade to the latest version with dual concentric pots.

OOOOOH, just tried to find his website and his linked in shows this:
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 13.48.06.png

I'm sure he's involved on way cooler other stuff with Yamaha but also, I hope that means some EVH models are coming to Helix....

View attachment 16723
If you like both the green and blue channels, the dual concentric knobs are a huge improvement imo.

With that said, some people claim the early "F" logo versions sound the best. Take that for what it's worth.

Obviously the only option is to just get another one, but with concentric knobs so you can compare. For science.

Not sure if he's still taking on jobs, but if he is, you can contact Howard Kaplan to upgrade to the latest version with dual concentric pots.

OOOOOH, just tried to find his website and his linked in shows this:
View attachment 16724

I'm sure he's involved on way cooler other stuff with Yamaha but also, I hope that means some EVH models are coming to Helix....
He shut down his repair shop I think, now that he's working for Yamaha/L6. He modded my 2x12 combo to have concentric knobs for the EQ controls too.

70468538145__AFE0E1FE-121D-47C0-8FDE-4DD791382DF1.jpeg

Howard is awesome. He's such a good person. I believe he said he's not modding these anymore though. I could double check if you're really interested.

If you like both the green and blue channels, the dual concentric knobs are a huge improvement imo.

With that said, some people claim the early "F" logo versions sound the best. Take that for what it's worth.

Obviously the only option is to just get another one, but with concentric knobs so you can compare. For science.

Hahahah he idea of trading towards a newer version isn’t really realistic as who would want to ‘downgrade’, unless the “the originals sound better” is hyped enough. I’m just going to hang onto it and snag another one when it pops up cheap. I’d love a black 6L6 version. And then in 10 years I can brag about how I have an OG 50-watt that sounds better than the rest as if it’s unobtanium. :rofl

WHY BOTHER...seems like alot of work if noone local can do it right. why doesnt fender just make them with this already?

@DrewJD82 it's your fault. Teasing me about running my MX5 into the return of the 5153. I put my Helix LT into the return of my EVH 5153, hooked into my newly configured 4x12 cab, and now I dont want to play through it any other way. It's like a drug. I ended up with the Cali IV Lead but every amp I tried was varying amounts of killer tone.

Jumpin Jesus on Pogo Stick!

Holy Smokes!!
4X12 ‘s ooze dopamine, like doin’ a shot of booze,
that cheer’ie look in the eyes and redness in the cheeks..it ain’t the booze, it’s the more molecule
DOPAMINE.
A 4X12 with Greenbacks in it’s sweet spot
= the sound of dopamine entering the bloodstream
through your ears instead of drinking a substance.
My advice?
Dude.. keep going.

@DrewJD82 it's your fault. Teasing me about running my MX5 into the return of the 5153. I put my Helix LT into the return of my EVH 5153, hooked into my newly configured 4x12 cab, and now I dont want to play through it any other way. It's like a drug. I ended up with the Cali IV Lead but every amp I tried was varying amounts of killer tone.

Jumpin Jesus on Pogo Stick!

Holy Smokes!!
whats next to try?

Back