I’ve got a problem

Overthinking? Nostalgia? I think you mentioned in threads here how you didn't jive with the amp, and
actually liked the lowly DSL40 better, no?? :idk

She wasn't as pretty as you remember her to be when you are lonely applies to amps as well. :LOL:

You’re 100% right about overthinking and nostalgia. I decided to take a bit of a break this summer so I don’t have anything big booked until late August and GAS always gets to me when I’m not gigging enough!

Plus I have a ton of nostalgia for the good old days when I could just show up with a tube amp and an FD2.

But also this:

I think there was an issue with ohm matching but can't recall if correcting that sorted out the issues

Yes, I discovered there was an ohm mismatch and when I fixed that it brought the amp to life.

The controls were still a bit of a PITA because I couldn’t change tone without changing volume, but it would have been a great amp to Profile and use for the gigs where I can have an amp.

will ferrell snl GIF

You need to keep a half-stack around for when you feel like flapping the pant-legs......View attachment 7362
Agreed. That's why I keep this thing around.

33250750496_fcc4e4d539.jpg

I'm still barely holding on to not buying one of those gd Blackstar combos :nails:rofl

Did you play one of those gd blackstars yet?
not as sexy as a mark VII…but probably 1/10 of the weight?

The weight was a major factor in why I picked up a St. James combo. While the tones aren't quite up to other amps that cost above $2K they're fine and pairing it with a state of the art multi-effects unit or pedalboard can make up for whatever it's lacking tone wise with a little EQ and drive blocks or pedals.

I've been using it exclusively since I got it, partially because I'm learning how to dial it in and partially because it's "good enough" that I don't feel like I have to play through something else.

It's worth taking for a spin to see if it's good enough for you.

After owning over 100 amps in my life and lots of pricey ones I discovered my tastes are cheap. Well I mean I can get great tones out of so called "inferior" amplifiers. My gassing for Splawns and such are silly for me.

After owning over 100 amps in my life and lots of pricey ones I discovered my tastes are cheap. Well I mean I can get great tones out of so called "inferior" amplifiers.

Unfortunately I’ve discovered my tastes are not cheap when it comes to amps :bag

I used to be that way.

I've found that I can be happy with what I call mid priced gear so I don't feel the need to buy the big ticket items.

My main gigging amp is a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe that goes for $1,100 but I picked up two of them for $600 each used in mint condition. They're great for Jazz and I have no need to buy anything more expensive to gig with. For a while I was gigging with My Sig:X and then a Mesa TC-50 both of which have their own distinct character but neither of which made me want to get rid of the Benson HRDs.

I got my 2001 ES-335 used in mint condition back in 2004 for $1,800 and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. 21 year old Memphis Dot Reissue and it just sings.

No need to get a Collings or something comparable.

5068136280_a92db2e425_w.jpg

Same with my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT purchased used in mint condition for $1,000. That guitar is so good I have no desire to buy anything else, including something a from a small builder that costs over $3K.

I think once you get out of the best of the $1K range you can be talking about diminishing returns regarding the cost/benefit ratio. It doesn't matter what the year or who the builder was, each guitar and each amp stands on its own. If it's a great example of that build then it stands on its own no matter what the cost.

That doesn't mean the expensive stuff isn't great. Much of it is, and in addition to playability there's the pride of ownership factor. But I've been as happy with my $1K and below stuff as I am with my +$2K gear, both guitars and amps.

Last edited:
You’re 100% right about overthinking and nostalgia. I decided to take a bit of a break this summer so I don’t have anything big booked until late August and GAS always gets to me when I’m not gigging enough!
EXACTLY! I just said this to JT, today.

The WORST thing for me, is to not have gigs. That’s when the mind starts going, and usually nowhere good :LOL:

I've found that I can be happy with what I call mid priced gear so I don't feel the need to buy the big ticket items.

My main gigging amp is a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe that goes for $1,100 but I picked up two of them for $600 each used in mint condition. They're great for Jazz and I have no need to buy anything more expensive to gig with. For a while I was gigging with My Sig:X and then a Mesa TC-50 both of which have their own distinct character but neither of which made me want to get rid of the Benson HRDs.

I got my 2001 ES-335 used in mint condition back in 2004 for $1,800 and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. 21 year old Memphis Dot Reissue and it just sings.

No need to get a Collings or something comparable.

5068136280_a92db2e425_w.jpg

Same with my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT purchased used in mint condition for $1,000. That guitar is so good I have no desire to buy anything else, including something a from a small builder that costs over $3K.

I think once you get out of the best of the $1K range you can be talking about diminishing returns regarding the cost/benefit ratio. It doesn't matter what the year or who the builder was, each guitar and each amp stands on its own. If it's a great example of that build then it stands on its own no matter what the cost.

That doesn't mean the expensive stuff isn't great. Much of it is, and in addition to playability there's the pride of ownership factor. But I've been as happy with my $1K and below stuff as I am with my +$2K gear, both guitars and amps.

For me I leave the pricier stuff at home cos I gig a lot in high crime areas and also I beat the snot out of my gear.

For me I leave the pricier stuff at home cos I gig a lot in high crime areas and also I beat the snot out of my gear.

I've always had a "small financial footprint" rig that I took to the after hours basement jams in inner city Philadelphia that went until 4:00 AM or so. I didn't want to be a multi thousand score for some junkie roaming the neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning.

I'd take my good Strat in a gig bag on my back, I figured if they got that I'd be dead. But the amp I took was a Cube 60. Lightweight enough to run with and not so expensive that if I had to ditch it the cost wouldn't be that great.

We had some great jam sessions in that house on Baltimore Avenue and I never once thought about the gear once we started playing.

I jumped on the boutique gear bandwagon when it was in full swing and honestly was never happy with any of it. I spent 10's of thousands between amps and pedals

Back