Hx Stomp question.

Having rented rehearsal space before, I’d put money on something being faulty with the amp. Maybe try putting just a delay in the front and then through the effects loop and see if it responds normally- the delays should have more clarity and top end through the effects loop. But from what you describe it wouldn’t surprise me if you find they are muddy too.

Having rented rehearsal space before, I’d put money on something being faulty with the amp. Maybe try putting just a delay in the front and then through the effects loop and see if it responds normally- the delays should have more clarity and top end through the effects loop. But from what you describe it wouldn’t surprise me if you find they are muddy too.
Sound there is awful mate. We complained so many times but nothing gets done and this is least shitiest rehearsal spaces around here. There is really good one but its so expensive we cant afford and also has no parking… we have to make best we can with this room….

So, from all I can see the EQ is doing nothing but raising the output level.
Also, where is it located? The pictures are so blurred they don't give the selected block away.
Eq is last in chain… if you’re looking at pic from left to right.

Last edited:
If you’re using this for real solos, just crank the boost volume until you are in the right spot in the mix. If you’re using a lead tone for more subtle things where you can’t be that prominent, you’re going to struggle in this setup. The main thing I would focus on then is cutting a lot of bass and boosting volume as much as you can get away with. Boosting a little around 1K may help. Set that low cut to 60, then 80, then 100-120 as needed until you can find your spot in the mix.

D

If you’re using this for real solos, just crank the boost volume until you are in the right spot in the mix. If you’re using a lead tone for more subtle things where you can’t be that prominent, you’re going to struggle in this setup. The main thing I would focus on then is cutting a lot of bass and boosting volume as much as you can get away with. Boosting a little around 1K may help. Set that low cut to 60, then 80, then 100-120 as needed until you can find your spot in the mix.

D
Ill give it a go to that settings and Ill report back. I have band practice on Monday and we will see how it goes. 😎

I'd stick to one amp model for a dirty rhythm tone, a noise gate and a boost out front for the chuggs on Snap 1. Snap 2 would disable the gate, activate a delay after the amp block and a Parametric EQ after that for leadz duties. Parametric EQ would most likely be stock setting except:

Mid Freq: 2.0kHz
Mid Q: 1.0
Mid Gain: + 2.0 dB

Level: +2.0 dB

This gives a solid lead push (4db) in the upper midrange where humans are most sensitive and a bit of overall level for the rest of the freq spectrum (2db). Experiment with this. More mid gain for more of a mid push or more level for overall tonal volume. The mids are where its at though.

Run into the FX return

ALSO,

Global EQ for the backline turd polish. the Q values at 0.7 are a good start because they can encompass ALL of the bass or ALL of the treble (okay not really ALL but damn near)

Bass freq @ 100hz
Treb freq @ 4.1kHz

Too thin? raise Bass Gain or cut Treb Gain
Too woofy? Raise Treble gain or cut Bass gain

Last edited:
Sound there is awful mate. We complained so many times but nothing gets done and this is least shitiest rehearsal spaces around here. There is really good one but its so expensive we cant afford and also has no parking… we have to make best we can with this room….
I used to just bring my amp even though the place we rented technically had one. Sucks to lose time, but you gain peace of mind.

For all my lead boosts, I'm doing two things (and I even started doing so decades ago when I was building my first loop switcher based setup):

1) Adding some kind of pre-amp-boost. These days, it's usually a compressor, but for more driven sounds a low gain drive with boosted output will do as well. Sometimes, cutting the lows a bit will help to avoid mud (the Mooer Yellow Comp I'm usually using has a tone control almost working like a tilt EQ, which is perfect).
Especially when using a compressor, the amp tone will stay pretty much intact (the attack, too, in case the compressor's attack time isn't very short) but you'll get a bit more decay, hence "meat" - which is what I want for all leads, no matter whether they're clean or overdriven.

2) Adding some post-amp-EQ. This is used to do the final tone shaping and boost level. Typically, I just boost some mids here and adjust the output level to taste. Sometimes I may also do some low/hi cuts, but usually the mid boost is sufficient. In the HX ecosystem, I always use a simple EQ, mid frequency somewhere between 700-1200Hz, gain between 2-3dB, output level to taste.

This is working great for all my sounds from totally clean to mellow drive to fullblown distorted. Could post sound snipplets.

And fwiw: Yes, talking a live rig here.

well, I'm back from rehearsal and it didnt go as planned. I tweaked EQ on HX Stomp, on amp, I tried different amp blocks I just cant make it work. I'm done with this unit Its really frustrating when you try to keep it as simple as possible but still cant make it work. I know its me and not the unit as other have mentioned they have no problems using it... I've been trying to like it since i got it but I got no where with it...its not for me i guess...

i put levels up and then started to feedback like hell... I've asked band to turn it down a bit which helped but... I dont want to be that guy screaming 'turn it down'' , what's next get off my lawn???? I even tired to use Katanas FX , i set up for delay , hit foot switch it gives me reverb Agrrrr....

Im fucking pissed... I nearlly packed my shit and left i was so done with it....

I'll see if i can trade it for used Marsahll head and I'll take my 2x12 for practices...

Thank your your tips and advise but im done with this shit....

well, I'm back from rehearsal and it didnt go as planned. I tweaked EQ on HX Stomp, on amp, I tried different amp blocks I just cant make it work. I'm done with this unit Its really frustrating when you try to keep it as simple as possible but still cant make it work. I know its me and not the unit as other have mentioned they have no problems using it... I've been trying to like it since i got it but I got no where with it...its not for me i guess...

i put levels up and then started to feedback like hell... I've asked band to turn it down a bit which helped but... I dont want to be that guy screaming 'turn it down'' , what's next get off my lawn???? I even tired to use Katanas FX , i set up for delay , hit foot switch it gives me reverb Agrrrr....

Im f*****g pissed... I nearlly packed my s**t and left i was so done with it....

I'll see if i can trade it for used Marsahll head and I'll take my 2x12 for practices...

Thank your your tips and advise but im done with this s**t....
Use the Stomp for post fx in the Katana loop?

I've deleted all blocks and started it from scratch, I've set EQ like this guy dose it in video. Ill give it a go again next rehearsal if no joy... this Unit is going for sure... Ill try next time in FX loop... I was going in front of the amp. Ill post the pics of amp settings at rehearsal..

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.40 PM.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.41 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.41 PM.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.42 PM.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM (1).jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM (2).jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 15
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 11.31.43 PM.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 9
Might I suggest finding a used Powerstage 170? That’ll drive that cab, and it’ll remove (IMHO) a lot of your woes.
In my opinion, this is the best advice so far in this thread - you are currently at the mercy of an old Katana head that probably isn't working correctly (as you've already mentioned), so removing that rogue element from your chain is most likely to yield decent results.

Also, rather than posting screenshots of your preset, just export your preset and post it here.

In my opinion, this is the best advice so far in this thread - you are currently at the mercy of an old Katana head that probably isn't working correctly (as you've already mentioned), so removing that rogue element from your chain is most likely to yield decent results.

Also, rather than posting screenshots of your preset, just export your preset and post it here.
Ill find out how to export pre sets and Ill post them.

Back