HILS Headless on the cheap. Seems too good to be true

I'm not gonna be an ass like anyone else that argues with you.

Assuming anything is folly, and making declarative statements without evidence is false...period.

It's cool, you have plenty of experience, which I appreciate and respect....but this action is indefensible. I expect better from you.

If one is to make such statements, I expect evidence and direct experience with the guitar in question, from the manufacturer in question.
Which isn't Chinese, by the way.

Hex guitars is the parent company, which is SK. Guitars are made in Indonesia.

What one doesn't need is an experienced and trusted tech and wood worker, shitting all over their knowingly cheap equipment....as has been pointed out on numerous occasions, you have terrible timing and bed side manner.

Someone enjoys a new guitar, here comes eagle with some fresh skat to drop on it ....come on dude....be better.

Sometimes it's better to just let someone enjoy their thing ....just like we allow you to enjoy your thing, which is becoming a bit tiresome. Not much use for this type of behavior, imo.

Not meant to be an ass ..just a friendly observation.😉
I totally get it but I also guarantee you that it will be something similar but not mahogany. If something isn’t true I usually call it out . I like cheap as much as anyone but eyes wide open. I certainly don’t mean anything else. I call out most marketing, Suhr and Gibson custom shop both fit the Korean OEM Floyd FFS . I just say as it is . I get it that tack is something I lack in writing. I did say it seems good value . Anyway sorry if I have offended anyone, never my intention.

I totally get it but I also guarantee you that it will be something similar but not mahogany. If something isn’t true I usually call it out . I like cheap as much as anyone but eyes wide open. I certainly don’t mean anything else. I call out most marketing, Suhr and Gibson custom shop both fit the Korean OEM Floyd FFS . I just say as it is . I get it that tack is something I lack in writing. I did say it seems good value . Anyway sorry if I have offended anyone, never my intention.
No offense.

I respect and appreciate you, but it's not really needed when someone is just happy to have a new guitar. It happened in another thread recently....just saying what I see.

I also understand that experience can sometimes give us false confidence. I just expect claims to be supported with evidence, regardless of experience. But that's my assumption, and I obviously expected too much.

I just think sometimes one person's cutting through the marketing BS, may be another person's pissing in their Cheerios.

I am all for truth, but these things can be handled in a more personable way.

I have just been seeing a lot of this around here lately, and it can be viewed by some as a type of gate keeping....and isn't conducive to promoting music instrument appreciation...or playing that instrument...kind of like shaming....and that sucks.

I love all your guitar info and experience, and am glad to have you here as a resource....but not everyone can have the luxury you do....some have to live in budget land...and they know it. Having a guy come on, who has a very impressive body of work and collection, and disparage their instruments, that they are geeked about, is a dick move.

I was saying this to you... because obviously you don't see it. I was doing it as a pseudo friend..much like you do in your actions. I don't question the intent, just the method.

I'm not gonna be an ass like anyone else that argues with you.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
It's prolly meranti or nato or something. Enough "mahogany"ish to call it that, and gamble on not getting sued. However, at this price point it doesn't really matter much.

Bah! I got all excited but then I saw they don't do 8 string.

Still, though, ridiculous specs foe the price. Compound radius and everything!

Remember all stainless steel frets are not the same hardness and what happens when the bridge fails in a few years when the company has moved on?
Even if the one you get is good it’s still a risk.

There are at least 4-5 people that have purchased these on this forum, just this past month.....they seem content. That is all I need to know. If you are on the fence, do it.....the only thing it will need, in the future possibly, pick ups .....other than that, great guitar.

I'm gonna leave this thread now ...just for sanity.

Enjoy it!😝🤣🤘

There are at least 4-5 people that have purchased these on this forum, just this past month.....they seem content. That is all I need to know. If you are on the fence, do it.....the only thing it will need, in the future possibly, pick ups .....other than that, great guitar.

I'm gonna leave this thread now ...just for sanity.

Enjoy it!😝🤣🤘
Hardware is the worry, and not at two months. Pickups are easy.

Hardware is the worry, and not at two months. Pickups are easy.
Guy, I have owned countless cheap Asian guitars. I've NEVER ONCE had hardware fail on me. EVER. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But the level of concern you express given you have no horse in this race is fascinating.

I agree, not all stainless steel frets are the same, some are quite soft. I did write HILS America and got a response the same day, with perfect English. I am sure I can order replacement parts direct if needed, although I'd be far more weary if these models were tremolo equipped.

Given they are fixed bridge, I'm sure they'll hold up for a long time. If I only get 10 years out of the guitar, and it's built cheap enough that it's not a lifer, I still think it's money well spent if it plays as nicely as people say.

The one thing some people don't understand,

Many know exactly what to expect when purchasing a sub 500usd instrument. As someone whom has had to almost exclusively live in this category, this is the best budget guitar I have played for the money. Period.

Hardware can be replaced, IF Needed, but having played well over 1000 guitars in my day, it probably won't need it.

It doesn't feel cheap.....it isn't primo, but not pot metal or flimsy at all. I've played many premium Fenders over the years ....and this feels more solid and comfortable. Many fender bridges i have used, especially the individual saddle type, have buzzed, been flimsy and did not inspire confidence. Don't get me started with their budget bridges.

I understand that you are skeptical, and don't really understand the company and it's business model. Just go play one, then you can see for yourself. Then the words you type will have more credibility, in regards to this guitar.

There are different grades of SS, and yes there are those that claim it and don't follow through.

Here is a secret, it doesn't cost that much more to produce stainless steel as opposed to just hardened...or just HSS. Maybe a few cents.....per linear foot.

Id expect more flak from the titanium claim, honestly. When I was a machinist, a 1 inch piece of 3/4" titanium bar stock cost 100usd/

That would eat up a lot of the cost of this guitar, but no one brought that up.

It's a budget guitar, let's not be too pedantic about it.

Guy, I have owned countless cheap Asian guitars. I've NEVER ONCE had hardware fail on me. EVER. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But the level of concern you express given you have no horse in this race is fascinating.

I agree, not all stainless steel frets are the same, some are quite soft. I did write HILS America and got a response the same day, with perfect English. I am sure I can order replacement parts direct if needed, although I'd be far more weary if these models were tremolo equipped.

Given they are fixed bridge, I'm sure they'll hold up for a long time. If I only get 10 years out of the guitar, and it's built cheap enough that it's not a lifer, I still think it's money well spent if it plays as nicely as people say.
Did the same. And can confirm. Excellent response and quick. Was assured they had parts in stock.

The tuning mech is in the bridge and there is no standard size for a headless system. Zinc versions fail all the time The headpiece is also prone to fail by just not holding the strings.

@Eagle when in a conversation with anyone about guitars....

no-sir-i-will-not-yield.gif

Fight the good fight sir, I'm happy..... continue with your cloudy English ways!!!😝

Also, in regards to your hardness claims, I was once a Field Service Engineer for a very reputable materials testing lab/company.

Hardness and tensile have been a specialty of mine.

I repaired, maintained and verified many types of hardness testers, including brinell, micro hardness, and Rockwell. Hardness isn't necessarily the best measure for this application. Just a number. Of which..... anything over 60 Rockwell is more than sufficient.

20241010_092409.jpg

Last edited:
Back