HILS Headless on the cheap. Seems too good to be true

At a glance, HILS neck seems close to my PRS CU24 and EBMM Luke IV. Definitely not Ibanez Wizard thin.

Can't watch video yet, what's the pickup route problem, if you don't mind? Does look like they had to "massage" the legs.

At a glance, HILS neck seems close to my PRS CU24 and EBMM Luke IV. Definitely not Ibanez Wizard thin.

Can't watch video yet, what's the pickup route problem, if you don't mind? Does look like they had to "massage" the legs.
Just that the cavity was tight ...and he couldn't adjust the pickup height....had a similar issue...just fiddled with it...and it became free.

He contacted the company, whom contacted the factory, and they are adjusting the route for the future.

Also....not thin..... narrow neck width especially towards the nut. It's like 1.62"/41mm or something

Just that the cavity was tight ...and he couldn't adjust the pickup height....had a similar issue...just fiddled with it...and it became free.

He contacted the company, whom contacted the factory, and they are adjusting the route for the future.

Also....not thin..... narrow neck width especially towards the nut. It's like 1.62"/41mm or something
Ahh, ok. Maybe they stuck the pickups in before the finish was completely set? Although on mine, the orange doesn't go far down the sides of the pickup leg routes, so who knows. Looks "black" there, so maybe that wasn't completely set and the pickups stuck.

My pickups were adjustable from the get go, not that it helped a lot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll prob be gutting electronics soon. At least changing the output jack and pickups, rest may be ok, but we'll see.

And lol at all the repetitive "typical expected morons" that have to come in and comment how "ugly it is and I'd never have that next to my other guitars". :facepalm

Idiots always going to idiot.

Silly me, when I don't like something, I don't say anything! :eek:

Ahh, ok. Maybe they stuck the pickups in before the finish was completely set? Although on mine, the orange doesn't go far down the sides of the pickup leg routes, so who knows. Looks "black" there, so maybe that wasn't completely set and the pickups stuck.

My pickups were adjustable from the get go, not that it helped a lot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll prob be gutting electronics soon. At least changing the output jack and pickups, rest may be ok, but we'll see.
If you’re changing the pickups it’s an opportunity to just redo the whole thing. The stuff in is workable but for only a bit more money you can bring it up to scratch.

And lol at all the repetitive "typical expected morons" that have to come in and comment how "ugly it is and I'd never have that next to my other guitars". :facepalm

Idiots always going to idiot.

Silly me, when I don't like something, I don't say anything! :eek:
It deserves calling out.

You are absolutely correct, I will most likely do a complete redo. Believe I have an output jack and a pot or two, already.
Do you have issues with the jack? I liked the switches and potentiometers....they seemed decent and robust to me....but the pickup situation is definitely changing on my end....

But I have had no issues with the jack....or the operation of the electrics at all..... actually impressed with the coil split....but I'm not used to the level of instruments that you 2 are.....

Ooo I like that, love narrow necks. My old Kramer is 40.5mm at the nut :giggle:
This is why I always struggled with strats and teles.....for riffage anyway.

I have mitts....not small, long fingers....like I just struggle...too much.

I actually want an ESP Eclipse or the Viper with a "big ass" nut now.... especially after playing this.....I need a little more fretting string spacing to accommodate my wide finger tip......that would be nice.

@Rock Chalk

pedro-pascal-academy-awards.gif

20241018_100212.jpg

:rollsafe

Do you have issues with the jack? I liked the switches and potentiometers....they seemed decent and robust to me....but the pickup situation is definitely changing on my end....

But I have had no issues with the jack....or the operation of the electrics at all..... actually impressed with the coil split....but I'm not used to the level of instruments that you 2 are.....
Due to the way the jack sits, I've had a couple instances of momentary cutouts. May have been my "on the fritz" wireless, will check it later with a regular cable.

Due to the way the jack sits, I've had a couple instances of momentary cutouts. May have been my "on the fritz" wireless, will check it later with a regular cable.
My issue with the jack is where it actually is.....with the lower cutout and the tuners, I can't comfortably rest it on my leg like I want, while plugged in.....but I just deal with it.

My issue with the jack is where it actually is.....with the lower cutout and the tuners, I can't comfortably rest it on my leg like I want, while plugged in.....but I just deal with it.
Yeah, agreed. Guess they screwed themselves when they put the bottom edge angle the way they did. Nowhere else to put it, maybe further up in the cutout where it already is?

Oh, I tested with a cable, no problems. So it was my wonky wireless that I'm waiting for a replacement!

Yeah, agreed. Guess they screwed themselves when they put the bottom edge angle the way they did. Nowhere else to put it, maybe further up in the cutout where it already is?

Oh, I tested with a cable, no problems. So it was my wonky wireless that I'm waiting for a replacement!
Well at least there is that.....that Jack is snug and firm......so I was very surprised.

Finally able to watch the review on YouTube. Seemed to match my thoughts well!

Am a little surprised he couldn't get the neck pickup out without removing the neck. Doesn't appear that I'd have a problem. :unsure: We'll know soon enough.

Back