Helix Talk

L6 gets free marketing when we record social media video/audio showing off the Helix. Connecting an HX device directly to an iPhone is the path of least resistance to putting out these videos, and more and more people will be going this route. Right now, recording video with an iPhone and the Helix results in audio with pops and crackles. That's terrible marketing material to be putting out there, and yet that's what I have to resort to doing. Even taking from the marketing budget to solve this technical issue makes sense in the long-run. Or so I think.
Maybe coming at it from, "The Conner's get to go to Disney...Why can't we?" perspective might help...What modeler does respond to this request to record A/V on an iPhone without the rice krispies?

Have a good one,

3EO

You can use a free third party video app to record video with sound in 48k - try Blackmagic Cam. Not as convenient as the built in camera but it works (plus you get a bunch of extra controls).

My problem is that the iOS camera app is requesting 44.1k and Helix won't budge from its 48k. Thus the crackles and pops in the video's audio.

L6 Support noted that, while this may indeed be an issue, not enough folks wrote in about it to warrant putting resources towards it. While the company clearly has its own priorities, and who am I to know better, I don't understand this logic.

L6 gets free marketing when we record social media video/audio showing off the Helix. Connecting an HX device directly to an iPhone is the path of least resistance to putting out these videos, and more and more people will be going this route. Right now, recording video with an iPhone and the Helix results in audio with pops and crackles. That's terrible marketing material to be putting out there, and yet that's what I have to resort to doing. Even taking from the marketing budget to solve this technical issue makes sense in the long-run. Or so I think.

In any case, it's very frustrating since recording direct to iPhone seems like such a no brainer, if it worked properly.
You could also approach it from the other direction: Why is iOS so inflexible that it cannot switch to 48 KHz sample rate for audio?

I'd say most people making videos will instead use something like OBS on a computer, or just keep the audio running in a DAW and cut it all together in a video editor where you can just replace the required bits with the audio track from the Helix.

I don't think content creators have been a consideration for any of the top digital modelers on the market when they were designed. That said, I would like to see at least the next gen being more flexible for sample rate.

You can use a free third party video app to record video with sound in 48k - try Blackmagic Cam. Not as convenient as the built in camera but it works (plus you get a bunch of extra controls).
Tried that, actually, with the same result, despite setting the audio to 48k. It’s all very strange. Wish someone could figure it out.

Take it as a sign the world doesn’t need more low-effort content.
Funny :rofl But more seriously, no matter your profession, the tools should not get in the way of your work. Low friction does not mean low quality.
Maybe coming at it from, "The Conner's get to go to Disney...Why can't we?" perspective might help...
I'm not about to try and convince L6 support this way or that. They've got their priorities. Plus, they were very friendly and tried to be helpful. I just wish this simple thing worked as one would expect a Class Compliant audio device to work.
I'd say most people making videos will instead use something like OBS on a computer, or just keep the audio running in a DAW and cut it all together in a video editor where you can just replace the required bits with the audio track from the Helix.
Aaahhhh!! That's what I do each and every day for work using DaVinci Resolve for video and a DAW for audio. There's no reason to go through all that for a simple home recording of yourself playing guitar. Seriously.

My problem is that the iOS camera app is requesting 44.1k and Helix won't budge from its 48k. Thus the crackles and pops in the video's audio.

L6 Support noted that, while this may indeed be an issue, not enough folks wrote in about it to warrant putting resources towards it. While the company clearly has its own priorities, and who am I to know better, I don't understand this logic.

In any case, it's very frustrating since recording direct to iPhone seems like such a no brainer, if it worked properly.
Huh, I thought the iOS Camera app records audio at 48k. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or accidentally doing something right, or not hearing pops that others hear, but I record from the 1/4" outs of my Floor into my iPhone camera via a 1/4" dual mono-to-1/8" stereo Y cable and a Sonic Port, with the Mobile POD app set for pure audio pass-through running in the background. My music time is short, and the Sonic Port lets me shoot quick videos with my Floor without having to separately record and sync the audio. Too bad it's been discontinued, but it can be found for cheap.

Huh, I thought the iOS Camera app records audio at 48k. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or accidentally doing something right, or not hearing pops that others hear, but I record from the 1/4" outs of my Floor into my iPhone camera via a 1/4" dual mono-to-1/8" stereo Y cable and a Sonic Port, with the Mobile POD app set for pure audio pass-through running in the background. My music time is short, and the Sonic Port lets me shoot quick videos with my Floor without having to separately record and sync the audio. Too bad it's been discontinued, but it can be found for cheap.
Thanks for the info.

My video files show the audio at 44.1k. If you get a chance, let me know what your videos show.

Write It Down Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

Soyface... Another good band name
I'm an oatmilk guy, myself.

a month ago I bought the HX Stomp. I only use the Fender Deluxe Reverb for weeks. Perhaps I should have bought the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb :)

But maybe next month I will have a Bassman month?

Had silent rehearsal tonight in preparation for a gig next Friday. SG Standard -> Helix 2203 -> York M25 IR with a mid gain sort of thing, kinky boost for higher gain parts and it just kills.

I can’t believe how closely it reproduces the vibe of my 2204 live rig. Because all my fx (Helix) go through the front of the amp, I’m able to toss out an instrument level send to my 2204 before the amp model so I have the option of using my tube head on stage for monitoring while providing FOH the Helix 2203 approximating my amp.

Can’t beat it.

Last edited:
Back