Helix Native Question

Stone

Rock Star
Hello all, so I have a noob question
what benefit is there to having Helix native?
I use my Helix to create patches and snapshots which i control with my footswitch and then i go out of my Helix to my MOTU M2 Interface
and then into my DAW
So what advantages or benefits would there be to using Native?

Thanks all

The benefit is for those who don't have a hardware version of helix.

I'm thinking of buying native so I can leave my helix at the rehearsal spot and just use native on my laptop at home. Pure laziness but zero fucks.

The benefit is for those who don't have a hardware version of helix.

I'm thinking of buying native so I can leave my helix at the rehearsal spot and just use native on my laptop at home. Pure laziness but zero f***s.

So your computer is your hardware what about footcontrol like would a Helix foot controler work ? or you would need to integrate a midi footswitch?
where do you connect your guitar to?
edited connect guitar to interface ...got it

Last edited:
I use my Helix to create patches and snapshots which i control with my footswitch and then i go out of my Helix to my MOTU M2 Interface
and then into my DAW

Thanks all
Using Native allows you to adjust your guitar tone after tracking, which can be very helpful when you get a great take but as you start to fill out the mix with more parts/instruments you realize maybe you didn't need as much crunch; would've preferred a different cab, etc.

The most flexible approach would be to connect your Helix straight to computer via USB. When tracking guitar, change your audio input device to Helix, and you can capture, simultaneously, a DI track that you can apply Native to, as well as a fully wet track already processed by your hardware Helix. Best case scenario you never need the DI track. But if later in your tracking or mixing process you have regrets about the Helix patch you used when tracking, you can use the DI instead, firing up Native and fixing your regrets

and then into my DAW

Thanks all
To further clarify, Native allows you to make tweaks in realtime without having to reamp to print those tweaks. And also allows you to make realtime tweaks on multiple guitar tracks.

If you capture a DI and wet track as described above, even without Native, you can go back later and reamp the DI through your Helix with a tweaked version of the original patch, printing the reamp to a new track. But having to go back and play the whole track while printing the reamp is a bit of a hassle.

In short, Native is a plugin, and thus provides all the be benefits of working with plugins vs working with hardware.

If you record with Helix (EDIT—or any other hardware product that supports reamping):
  1. Record two tracks for every guitar part—one processed and the other dry for potential reamping later.
  2. Decide you want a slightly different sound after the guitars are recorded. Route each dry track back through Helix for reamping; sit there while the entire song plays back in real time.
  3. Think "Wait, I have 10 guitar tracks and my song is 6 minutes long, and I haven't yet made presets for all the guitar parts. Re-amping's gonna take HOURS?!"
If you record with Helix Native:
  1. Record one track for every guitar part with Helix Native instantiated.
  2. Decide you want a slightly different sound after the guitars are recorded. Open the plugins and adjust. Done.
  3. Remember that you also had instances of Helix Native on your bass, keyboards, vocals, drums, nose flute, etc. Smile, knowing you can change anything at any time. Then furrow your brow, knowing you can change ANYthing at ANY time, but if you want to commit a sound to avoid tweaking-everything-to-hell-for-months, most DAWs support ultra-fast offline track bounce.

Last edited:
If you record with Helix:
  1. Record two tracks for every guitar part—one processed and the other dry for potential reamping later.
  2. Decide you want a slightly different sound after the guitars are recorded. Route each dry track back through Helix for reamping; sit there while the entire song plays back in real time.
  3. Think "Wait, I have 10 guitar tracks and my song is 6 minutes long, and I haven't yet made presets for all the guitar parts. Re-amping's gonna take HOURS?!"
If you record with Helix Native:
  1. Record one track for every guitar part with Helix Native instantiated.
  2. Decide you want a slightly different sound after the guitars are recorded. Open the plugins and adjust. Done.
  3. Remember that you also had instances of Helix Native on your bass, keyboards, vocals, drums, nose flute, etc. Smile, knowing you can change anything at any time. Then furrow your brow, knowing you can change ANYthing at ANY time, but if you want to commit a sound to avoid tweaking-everything-to-hell-for-months, most DAWs support ultra-fast offline track bounce.
Wow, didn't even realize what a pile of crap Helix is until you pointed it out. Thanks for ruining my day.

Edit: shit is censored but crap isn't. Interesting.

I record all my bass stuff with the floor but 99% of the time I reamp the dry track w native so I can get the bass to sit where I want.

Guitars I usually go with the wet track (except for solos, those are fun to tweak in the mix)

So say for example i have a song that I'm doing I use my helix patch because i have 4 snapshots, how does one use Native to control these snapshots ? Would this be possible? I use my helix record my guitar track then i copy my Helix patch into native would i then be able to make adjustments to the final recorded product using the copied patch into Native ?

Thank you

You can drag the patch from hxedit straight into native and use the automation on your DAW to change snapshots

Wow, didn't even realize what a pile of crap Helix every single hardware processing unit ever made is compared to plugins until you pointed it out.
Fixed that for you.

That's why we have a plugin. My Helix Rack has pretty much been relegated to an input source for Helix Native and for the occasional jamming when I can't be bothered to boot Logic. Its AES/EBU out goes straight to my monitor controller so one button routes it directly to my studio monitors.

Back