Helix: how to put a real amp in the chain (is this 4CM?)

molul

Roadie
Soon I'll be recording some songs in a studio, and the producer is not very fond of using Helix amps instead of his.

My presets usually have <some effects blocks> + (Amp+Cab) + <some other effects blocks (usually delays and reverbs, but sometimes others like Retro Reel or some modulation ones)>.

On the other hand, his amps can be recorded with some capture device he has (I don't remember the exact name), instead of mic'ing them, so I think the way to go is use one of the Helix Loop blocks to "put the amp" in there, so the connections would be:

Guitar -> Helix input // Helix Loop 1 Send -> Amp // Amp capture output -> Helix Loop 1 Return // Helix output -> Audio interface

Would that be right, or is there a better method for this?

EDIT: I'm not giving up on proving him that guitars can sound great with Helix amps too, but I want to have a plan B in case I fail xD

Last edited:
That would work.
If you don’t use stuff out of the helix that needs to be pre amp…you might as well go straight into the amp, and the “capture output” (which I assume is a load box and IR loader)…into your helix where you can add time/mod efx. Saves you a conversion (= theoretical benifit)
Or record the dry amp, and feed your helix from a bus on the desk if it’s only time efx…and record those on a separate track (if you trust the tech to mix it properly…else…print want you want to stereo tracks ;))

It’s not 4cm, that would involve feeding the send of the amp into return of your helix, and mains of helix into return of the amp.

Sidenote…it’s your sound, I’d try the amp…but if it’s not your sound…I’d press for your own stuff.
…unless that producer really has some stripes on his sleeves that give m credibility ;)

That would work.
If you don’t use stuff out of the helix that needs to be pre amp…you might as well go straight into the amp, and the “capture output” (which I assume is a load box and IR loader)…into your helix where you can add time/mod efx. Saves you a conversion (= theoretical benifit)
Or record the dry amp, and feed your helix from a bus on the desk if it’s only time efx…and record those on a separate track (if you trust the tech to mix it properly…else…print want you want to stereo tracks ;))

It’s not 4cm, that would involve feeding the send of the amp into return of your helix, and mains of helix into return of the amp.

Sidenote…it’s your sound, I’d try the amp…but if it’s not your sound…I’d press for your own stuff.
…unless that producer really has some stripes on his sleeves that give m credibility ;)
Thanks. It makes total sense.

To be fair, he got a great guitar sound in our previous record, but back then I didn't have the Helix. I had the Boss GT8 with all effects, even delays and reverb, before the amp.

Now with the Helix I have great amp emulation between two effects chains in most of my presets, and after amp+cab, not only sometimes I have effects that are not reverbs and delays (like Retro Reel, AM Ring Mod or some modulation effects that work better for me after the amp in certain presets), but also I love some Helix reverbs or delays that he doesn't have, like particle reverb or glitch delay.

I'm thinking about suggesting sharing my Helix Native license with him, which might make things easier. When recording (with my Helix LT) I would only enable the blocks before the amp+cab block, and during the mixing we could just put Native on the amped recording🤔 Well, there are still conversations to be had 😆

On the other hand, the "capture device", I'm not sure but I think it's not that. I'll ask him the exact name.

Last edited:
Back