Helix Floor vs HXFX for 4cm

TubeStack

Shredder
I posted this at TGP a while ago but have had limited response. Wondering if anyone here can help?

I recently switched from using an HXFX in 4cm to running the HXFX in front of the amp and a Stomp in the loop of the amp. This resulted in a noticeable improvement in sound and feel, with better detail, high end, and dynamics. It's a striking difference and is not subtle at all.

I was surprised, because the HXFX does sound good in 4cm, but there's no denying the improvement with the new setup, at least with this particular amp (Mesa Electra Dyne).

Anyone know if the Helix Floor sounds better than the HXFX in 4cm?

(I've been thinking it would be fun to get the Floor and run my vocals through it, but don't want to use it + the Stomp, that seems silly.)

Since that post, I've tried the HXFX 4cm vs HXFX in front + Stomp in amp's loop several times, there's no doubt the latter setup sounds better. The HXFX in 4cm has a “blanket over the speaker” sound, at least with the Electra Dyne. I even tried putting a Mesa Stowaway buffer between the HXFX and the front of the Dyne, no improvement.

I'm still considering a Helix Floor, but not if I still need to run a separate Stomp with it…

Thanks in advance!

Floor all the way. HXFX is fine in post but I would not use it that way ever.

Do you know if there's anything in the Floor's loops that help it sound better than the HXFX in 4cm? Or would the loops be the same as the HXFX's?

Do you know if there's anything in the Floor's loops that help it sound better than the HXFX in 4cm? Or would the loops be the same as the HXFX's?
Adjustable input impedance on the Floor would be the reason for improvement I'd think. I assume they use the same A/D converters but not sure?

Adjustable input impedance on the Floor would be the reason for improvement I'd think. I assume they use the same A/D converters but not sure?

I haven't compared a Floor in 4cm to the HXFX in 4cm, so I can't personally confirm if there's an improvement.

Have you compared those two? ^^^

But what I have compared is the HXFX in 4cm vs the HXFX in front of the amp + the Stomp in the amp's loop, and the second setup definitely sounds better.

What I'm wondering, is if the Floor in 4cm will sound as good as the HXFX in front + Stomp in amp loop setup?

I have the Stomp in front of me but it is cabled up for practice this week. Before I move it back to amp fx loop and routing duties for this weekend's gig, post practice. Otherwise I would try some 4cm testing with it.

The HXFX for me was cool at first but I didn't like the screen, fixed impedance FOMO (despite the dumbness of any rig I end up with and it not even being a concern how I route things) and the silkscreened switches. Made a jump to the Stomp and it was the better move for me.

Is the FX in loop only good with the Electradyne?

I can't answer your question, but wonder if you've tried Stomp in front and HXFX in the loop? The Stomp's input section is a little more similar to Floor's than the HXFX.

I haven't tried this, but I don't think it would change anything? The HXFX sounds great when just used in front of the amp.

The issue for me is when using the HXFX in 4cm, the Send from the HXFX going to the amp's input loses highs and clarity. Just wondering if the Floor would do this, too.

I haven't tried this, but I don't think it would change anything? The HXFX sounds great when just used in front of the amp.

The issue for me is when using the HXFX in 4cm, the Send from the HXFX going to the amp's input loses highs and clarity. Just wondering if the Floor would do this, too.
I mean, it's moving a couple of cables and gets you one step closer to using what youve got the same way Floor works. If it DOES change things ... you have a better idea of whether Floor is worth having a look.

I mean, it's moving a couple of cables and gets you one step closer to using what youve got the same way Floor works. If it DOES change things ... you have a better idea of whether Floor is worth having a look.

Yes, thanks, except that still uses separate units in front of the amp and its loop, which is different than using the Floor in 4cm.

My main concern is how the Send from the Helix into the amp's input sounds.

I'm not as concerned about the variable input thing, because it doesn't seem to be an issue, as the HXFX sounds fine when used in front of the amp, even without the variable input.

What seems to be the issue is the Send from the HXFX going into the amp's input.

Yes, thanks, except that still uses separate units in front of the amp and its loop, which is different than using the Floor in 4cm.

My main concern is how the Send from the Helix into the amp's input sounds.

I'm not as concerned about the variable input thing, because it doesn't seem to be an issue, as the HXFX sounds fine when used in front of the amp, even without the variable input.

What seems to be the issue is the Send from the HXFX going into the amp's input.
(But what if it doesn't sound fine in front of the amp with the different input circuitry...then who cares about the send/loop and just move on).

FWIW, Helix Floor's (blank preset) FX Send into the input of my Boss Katana and my Vox AC15 sound the same as plugging directly in, with some added noise when using the Helix (USB ground loop).

A/B tested, recorded, and EQ matched. The graph shows no sweeping differences with my AC15 other than the subtle differences in recording multiple takes.

Helix Send output set to Instrument, pad off.
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 11.50.50 AM.png

4CM with the Katana is pretty much the same deal, the AC has no loop to test.

Hope this helps.

Back