Haven't done this in a while

DrewJD82

Staff member
I've been re-tracking this tune I wrote a while back, it's intentionally "heavily influenced" by AIC because back then I thought if I just laid into it I could get it all out of my system and not continuously rip off AIC, but 6 years later I know better. :ROFLMAO: I've been doing everything with the AxeFX and have tracked the rhythms probably.....10x just fucking with different amp tones. I don't bother with a DI/re-amping because I play differently depending on the tone.

Then it kinda dawned on me.....I've got one of Cantrell's favorite amp's sitting next to me in the studio, why would I not use the damn thing?

IMG_6304.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6305.jpg

I always start with the mic about a 1/2" from the grille, middle of the speaker, half on the cone and half on the cap. With a 57 anyway. If I start there I'm usually only 3-4 mic adjustments from where I want to be. Unsurprisingly, sliding the mic over to the cone and angling it towards the cap was the sweet spot, at living room volume anyway. I always laugh when hearing the comparison between straight on and angled, it's such a drastic difference that I think back to all those gigs where I just let a soundman toss a 57 in front of the cab and call it a day.......phew...

I'll post some results up later tonight.

I want a zoom in on the ivy to see if there's any spiders hanging out.
Spiders love Ivy and with all the 'smog' at Drew's place they're probably just chill enough to dig the fake shit.

You mind spiders Drew? :LOL:

giphy.gif

Not finished yet, I passed da fug out last night sitting here making noises. I bounced what was there this morning when I went grocery shopping and was pretty pleased with how it's coming out. Definitely better than the original.

Unmixed and no EQ on the distorted guitars-

95% of the rhythm guitars you can hear are the Shiva, the other 5% is a Mark IV in the Fractal that's mostly there for top end and some tighter attack cuz that Shiva is definitely a bit sludgey at lower volumes. It doesn't get too much tighter loud, either. It's quad tracked with 1 track of each amp on each side.

The feedback stuff happened as an accident when I was leaning towards the cab and I ran with it! Changed the whole tune for me and I'm anxious to hear it properly mixed. There's both actual feedback and Ebow stuff on there. I put the AxeFX in the effects loop and used the Trem/Pan block attached to an expression pedal and put a shitload of delay and reverb on it, then more Stereo Delay in Logic.

The 12-string is the fake 12-string I do by just playing the same part on 2 different tracks, an octave higher.

Bass and lead at the end are old scratch tracks, so they're not great. That tone on the lead at the end is some Waves amp I just loaded a Tubescreamer setting on, it sounds horrid by itself. :ROFLMAO:

Not finished yet, I passed da fug out last night sitting here making noises. I bounced what was there this morning when I went grocery shopping and was pretty pleased with how it's coming out. Definitely better than the original.

Unmixed and no EQ on the distorted guitars-

95% of the rhythm guitars you can hear are the Shiva, the other 5% is a Mark IV in the Fractal that's mostly there for top end and some tighter attack cuz that Shiva is definitely a bit sludgey at lower volumes. It doesn't get too much tighter loud, either. It's quad tracked with 1 track of each amp on each side.

The feedback stuff happened as an accident when I was leaning towards the cab and I ran with it! Changed the whole tune for me and I'm anxious to hear it properly mixed. There's both actual feedback and Ebow stuff on there. I put the AxeFX in the effects loop and used the Trem/Pan block attached to an expression pedal and put a shitload of delay and reverb on it, then more Stereo Delay in Logic.

The 12-string is the fake 12-string I do by just playing the same part on 2 different tracks, an octave higher.

Bass and lead at the end are old scratch tracks, so they're not great. That tone on the lead at the end is some Waves amp I just loaded a Tubescreamer setting on, it sounds horrid by itself. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds very good. Definitely getting AIC vibes!

Gonna do a little 'take a look at the man behind the curtain' thing here-

I started tracking the vocals over the weekend, enough to listen for a few days after and edit/make decisions on parts. This is still unmixed, so some of the vocals are way louder than they should be. Since I'm generally writing as I record it, I'm more focused on catching the overall vibe/ideas than nailing them perfectly.

No screaming on this one.

Things to be fixed-
The "i know" that comes in with the main riff needs to be re-done
Verse vocals w/out the harmony needs to be re-done
Chorus harmony is off
Last line of the chorus needs work, the feel is there but not enough syllables for an effective resolve
Feedback/Ebow guitars are clashing with the vocals
Bass is still the scratch track
hi-hat parts need work
Solo needs to be done
Various mixing issues

Gonna do a little 'take a look at the man behind the curtain' thing here-

I started tracking the vocals over the weekend, enough to listen for a few days after and edit/make decisions on parts. This is still unmixed, so some of the vocals are way louder than they should be. Since I'm generally writing as I record it, I'm more focused on catching the overall vibe/ideas than nailing them perfectly.

No screaming on this one.

Things to be fixed-
The "i know" that comes in with the main riff needs to be re-done
Verse vocals w/out the harmony needs to be re-done
Chorus harmony is off
Last line of the chorus needs work, the feel is there but not enough syllables for an effective resolve
Feedback/Ebow guitars are clashing with the vocals
Bass is still the scratch track
hi-hat parts need work
Solo needs to be done
Various mixing issues
Wow thats Fracking Awesome Drew !!
Man you sure gots the talents
Kudos

:headbang :chef:headbang

Back