Have a Favourite Band Configuration??

Favourite Band Configuration To Play In?

• Power Trio

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Dueling Leads Foor The Win

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 3 Drummer King Crimson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 Piece KFC Meal With Keys and 2 Guitars

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Give Me All The Horns

• Acoustic Duo Seaside

• I Am A Solo Act & Don't Play Well With Others

• 4 Piece Bluegrass & bring Your Harmonies

• 4 Piece White Meeat With 1 Guitar, Me.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

la szum

Goatlord
I thought this might be fun and interesting.

What's yours? Do you have one?

:beer

Edited to allow for multiple votes. Please overlook mulltiple speling erors. Can't edit. :facepalm

Last edited:
paul rudd rush GIF

I am torn. Like..... hard. Have played in a variety of band configurations over the years and
have grown to dig a lot of them (not an acoustic solo or duo fan though (🥱 ). :idk

In music I listen to, I couldn't care less. In bands I'm in? I like the idea of the power trio, but as soon as its time for a solo, the floor drops out. Give me 2 harmonic instruments up front, doesn't have to be another guitarist, I'll take a keyboard nerd fo sho!

Truth! I think this is why super busy and frenetic Trios (eat up all the space guys!) kind of has to be the
norm.

The idea of the power trio is almost always better in theory. But there are some motherfuckers who have proven me wrong to an infinite degree on that over the years. Certainly. I will say if there was ever a bassist who's songwriting skills blended in perfectly with my own (very sporadic as they may be); I would actually love the shit out of it in an original context.

In my metal band days; one of the THEEEEEEEEE tightest performances we had was when we had to dump our guitarist and we played as a 4 piece. Our bassist (who was moving to guitar on the downlow anyway :bag) played through some 112 bass combo piece of absolute shit normally. While I had my 5150 half stack. This particular gig he used the house rig. A 1500 wtfever watt Peavey monster with an 8x10 cab.

1. I have never seen someone shit their pants in the quality difference from their normal rig in their life. This thing was a sterilizer and sounded like the fist of GOD.

2. We were tight af. Ran through a massive PA and it was glorious. of course; one of our last gigs :wat:cuss:facepalm:rofl

The idea of the power trio is almost always better in theory. But there are some motherf***rs who have proven me wrong to an infinite degree on that over the years. Certainly. I will say if there was ever a bassist who's songwriting skills blended in perfectly with my own (very sporadic as they may be); I would actually love the s**t out of it in an original context.

In my metal band days; one of the THEEEEEEEEE tightest performances we had was when we had to dump our guitarist and we played as a 4 piece. Our bassist (who was moving to guitar on the downlow anyway :bag) played through some 112 bass combo piece of absolute s**t normally. While I had my 5150 half stack. This particular gig he used the house rig. A 1500 wtfever watt Peavey monster with an 8x10 cab.

1. I have never seen someone s**t their pants in the quality difference from their normal rig in their life. This thing was a sterilizer and sounded like the fist of GOD.

2. We were tight af. Ran through a massive PA and it was glorious. of course; one of our last gigs :wat:cuss:facepalm:rofl

At least yall went out with a BANG, JT! :LOL:

For original material I heart the trio

If I'm doing covers, need the keys.

Sidenote: I'm still in awe everytime I watch a Royal Blood live set on the youtoobins

If we're talking a band I'm in, I want one guitar, a great frontman/woman who also plays guitar and keys as needed, drums & bass. And at least 2 (aside from the lead singer) can sing harmonies and occasional lead vocals.

OR..., have a terrorizing lead guitarist that I can take a mostly back seat to, and everything else is the same.

There's no way I'd ever play in another band with another guitarist, unless they're much better than me, or just good enough to cover stuff that requires a 2nd guitar from time to time.

OR..., Guitar, Bass, Keys, Drums, Vocals, with harmonies. I've done that one, and it works well, but means you need to pick songs that have keys in them (mostly.)

For music I like, it can really be any lineup, from horns in bands like Chicago or Crack The Sky, or Elton John back when he had Tower of Power horns, on up to 3 guitars like Lynyrd Skynyrd, or anything in between.

I even dig these guys who play guitar, with only drums & bass, in which every song seems like a long, drawn-out guitar solo!! :rawk
:rofl

Did a Trio thing last night. Only had to drive 50 miles to get there. Show up. 4 x 12 cab in house. WTF? I must be in love. :love

Bass player and drummer are both like, "Solo and improvise as much as you want?"

Where have these guys been all my life, and why did I have to wait until I was 55 to find them? :LOL:

(Still rather limited musically in that context. It was fun, though)

Power trio definitely. Played in one for about 10 yrs. It makes you work a bit harder and think more creatively to fill (or not fill) the space.

I can't really think of one, there's amazing examples of all configuartions; Floyd/AIC/Pantera/Tool with one guitarist, Maiden, Mastodon, LoG, Metallica, Testament, the dual guitar band list can go on and on....trio's not so much, but a killer trio is always going to get extra credit from me, Rush and King's X are prime examples of why. Winery Dogs...

Back