Guitar GAS as a lefty

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
nnghhhh. I really fancy a new guitar. I don't need one. But I fancy one. I want one with a bling-y top, something nice and modern looking, with locking tuners, a locking bridge, and generally in the Les Paul family of body shapes.

I already have an ESP LTD EC1000-ET guitar, which I love.
1696071993821.jpeg

So I thought I'd look at regular non-Evertune ESP LTD EC1000's. There are some really nice finishes out there, but most of them aren't currently in stock.

I really like their Violet Andromeda finish:
1696072138674.png

This is their Gold Andromeda finish:
1696072118883.png

This is their Natural Blue Fade finish:
1696072175236.png

But none of the above are currently in stock anywhere in the UK as a lefty, and according to a few shops it is looking to be July-September next year. Blerggghhh.

So I thought.. okay... what IS currently in stock?? It aint exactly a blingy picture.
1696072429126.png

So we've got a glossy black, a honey burst, a matte black, and a natural burst. I'm not really moist at thought of any of them. I like them all "well enough" but they don't set the juices flowing like the other finishes.

Bearing in mind that historically, you couldn't really get nice bling left handed guitars. I remember a time where your choices were glossy black, or a cherry red of some description and THAT WAS IT. So times have definitely changed and improved.

Andertons have this one in stock:
1696072589566.png

But they've just flipped a stock image around (lefty pet peeve!) and thrown that up on the website. It might not look as nice in person. In fact when you find a photo of the real thing you get this:

1696072661940.png

1696072697152.png

So you can't really trust photos entirely.

The only other thing I've seen at present that I like the look of is this:
1696072736972.png

But it is a totally different spec. It is a Baritone 27.7" scale, PRS 277.
It could be cool, but I think I'd also want to get a "regular" spec Les Paul type thing as well eventually.

Anyway..... just throwing this up to get some thoughts out of my head.

One reason I like these ESP LTD guitars is they've got a nice cut-away for high-fret access, and they're a bit lighter than a typical Les Paul. Slap a Duncan Distortion in there, and they sound just as beefy. I'm really impressed with my current one!

You already have a ‘regular’ spec Les Paul, dude!

I’m not sure I’ve played an EC-1000, but I have my buddy’s EC-500 here to set up for him, I can’t stand the thinner body on a singlecut, but outside of that, it’s a pretty killer guitar. It’s got one of those Earvana compensated nuts on it and I definitely prefer the fret access over an actual LP neck joint.

IMG_4797.jpeg

Also, as a lefty, do you find that when you sit on your hand for 10 minutes before playing, it sounds like a righty when you play?

I’m juuuuust catching up on financial crap after inflation kicked my ass around for the last year. The way everything aligned, getting my raise this week and then my Christmas bonus in December feels a bit like a chase scene in a movie and I’m about to jump to the other side of the cliff to safety. At least temporary safety. :rofl

Have we talked about the Laney VH before? That was a pretty complex, feature rich amp for the time \m/

What makes you say that out of interest?

Owning both lol.

I liked the evertune at first bit soured on it over time. I think it does kinda sound different. It's also is kinda a hassle to be like OK what zone am i in now and the time you spend dealing with that you can easily just tune a normal bridge. One of the saddles broke on it and I barely put that many hours on it. So now the system only works on 5 of 6 strings lol.

The guitar i have now w a stop tail is perfect for me at least. Tune it once and it's great for our entire set. I also prefer how my hand rests on the stop tail.

Different strokes for different folks, I get that some people can love it and that's cool too.

Owning both lol.

I liked the evertune at first bit soured on it over time. I think it does kinda sound different. It's also is kinda a hassle to be like OK what zone am i in now and the time you spend dealing with that you can easily just tune a normal bridge. One of the saddles broke on it and I barely put that many hours on it. So now the system only works on 5 of 6 strings lol.

The guitar i have now w a stop tail is perfect for me at least. Tune it once and it's great for our entire set. I also prefer how my hand rests on the stop tail.

Different strokes for different folks, I get that some people can love it and that's cool too.
So part of this is also me not entirely being happy with the Evertune. I can't quite put my finger on it. It is cool, but quite a pain in the ass when you want to quickly mess around with a tuning. Sometimes I find it doesn't quite maintain the pitch from session to session, so end up tweaking it. I don't think it sounds bad at all really, I'm just not entirely sold on it.

Oh yeah, big big fan of the ESP LTD line of guitars especially specs on the Deluxe 1000 series made in Korea. Hell my humble EC 256 made in Indonesia only needed a set up and it’s easily one my best playing/feeling guitars…gonna finally be able to spend some time and do a full set up on my SN 1000 HT and get some play time on it this weekend 👍🏻
Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin

The EC1000s are amazing guitars. Ive got the black cherry red quilt that I think looks amazing but it’s the binding that gives it the finishing touch. This is my baby:

409495154_9a42a17146_o.jpeg

They are out there in lefty - also saw a purple quilt in lefty on Reverb that looks amazing as well:

IMG_1902.jpeg

Back