Guess this belongs here - UAFX Lion and Ruby

Again .. genuinely glad you like them :)

However ...... i.m.h.o ....

....... every single Y/T demo Ive heard of them from Day 1 from idiots <-> pros ... they all sound like a fuzzy fizzy sh%tfull mess .... nothing the Fractal, Helix ... even the Ampero 2 stomp [I have one] cant do and do much better.

People bought into the Kool-Aid that as it is just one amp in a dedicated box, it must be better ... that's UA for you ..... always providing less features for more $$ ....... total bullsh%t marketing.

Not sure but did I mention how much I hate UA ;)

This is the same company that for decades sold hardware-dongle-PCI-Cards to run their plugs because there was no way a computer *ever* could ... then ... oh ..... bam .... overnight .... yep, native is the way !!!!!

Even back in the day with a basic early Pentium and good s/card I could run a ton of VST of equal quality natively at 64 samples no worries.

It was an unbelievable scam and one that to this day I cant believe people got sucked in by and UA got away with for so long.

The utter sheer bullsh%t bean-blowing comments posted at TOP when these came out was unique even by TOP standards.

Ben
Thanks for the historical context’

Yes, it would be an over reaction. Based on some need to demand exactly what I want rather than on reality and failing to consider not all things meet all needs.

I appreciate your measured response. It was informative as well.
If you are implying ‘I declared some demands’ you got the wrong guy. I shared my perspective as to why they missed an opportunity.

Thanks for the historical context’
Yes. Thank you. I feel it is my calling in life to educate people as to what they should want not what they actually want 😉

I pride myself on providing this service both free of charge as well as when it is not even requested 🙂

Oh man there's some good discussions here!

I've also gone on the rabbit hunt for the Goldilox (SWITD) solution. Fractal sounded great but wasn't fun to use. Tried a bunch of menu free amp modeling pedals (Simplifier, Iridium, IR-X). Integrated with other effects or multi-effects. Got annoyed by lack of modularity and programmability. Reverted back to all in one modelers (Axe FX 3, Quad Cortex).

I think in my mind I want a single channel amp that can go from clean-ish to crunchy, then add in a few pedals for heavier stuff and effects. In reality, I seem to like a more complex setup that has usually two different amps, then some post-amp effects to really expand the sound. That lends itself to an all-in-one unit like the Fractal or QC.

I consider it "trying too hard to make a digital version that behaves exactly like the original". There is nothing good about the Ruby EQ working only in the Brilliant channel mode for example.

As someone who spent years and years gigging AC30s that’s exactly how I would expect the Ruby to behave, and how I would want it to work.

If I’m on the normal channel of an AC30 I don’t want to mess with anything but a Volume knob, I don’t want the additional work of making sure all the other irrelevant knobs are at the right positions to sound the way it should.

Different strokes…

Back