Graph Tech introduces new nut for Floyd Rose bridges

aerial7

Roadie
At $30, the "Un-Lock Nut" seems intriguing.... Despite being "available" I can't even find anything about it on Graph Tech's site...

I have a very old Squier that I'd love to try this on, but it has the type of locking nut that's held in place with bolts on the back of the neck, so I wish they had a drop-in replacement for that...

Definitely interesting. I reckon you’ll likely have to have a decent set of tuners to take advantage of what this is offering.

I’m currently working on my FR guitar. Maybe I’ll order one to try. Can’t find any product page or anywhere it’s for sale.

Looks like a solution for people who don’t really use the trem . It’s not going to stay in tune properly though. If you have a good setup on a Floyd you should not need to unlock the nut between string changes anyway so this is very limited in application.

Looks like a solution for people who don’t really use the trem . It’s not going to stay in tune properly though. If you have a good setup on a Floyd you should not need to unlock the nut between string changes anyway so this is very limited in application.
Yeah I don't see how this would be able to provide as good tuning as locking the strings at both ends. In the past there were single-locking Floyds on the market and the typical complaints were they didn't hold tuning as well as the double-locking ones.

Still curious to try one because I'm not exactly fond of the locking nut either.

randall park whats the point GIF by The Orchard Films

Yeah I don't see how this would be able to provide as good tuning as locking the strings at both ends. In the past there were single-locking Floyds on the market and the typical complaints were they didn't hold tuning as well as the double-locking ones.

Still curious to try one because I'm not exactly fond of the locking nut either.
You'r right. The single locking floyd with no fine tuners works best with a normal size nut, straight string pull a shadow angle and locking tuners.

I'd take one of these and locking tuners all day over a lock nut. I have a permanent callous on the side of my left index finger from slamming it into the "teeth" on the lock nut all the time. That's one of the reasons I switched almost entirely to fixed bridge guitars. That and I suck with a tremolo...

I have a guitar with the non-fine tuner Floyd Rose bridge / locking tuners (no lock nut). It stays in tune really well. I tune up before I start playing and don't need to adjust it after that no matter how much I abuse the bar. I recently fit some of those Wilkinson locking saddles onto a guitar with a Gotoh 510 and locking tuners. The resulting tuning stability is similarly good, but the pitch range is more limited as the bridge is not routed for very much pull up range.

The biggest difference compared to my guitar with a dual locking Floyd Rose setup is the rate of pitch change. The locking nut limits the length of string involved in the pitch changes and the result is that the pitch dive and rise require less movement of the bar to achieve the same degree of change. The feel when using the two is quite different. The single locking setup has more gradual pitch changes and doesn't have the same overall range available.

Hahaha while some see the Evertune as a solution to a problem they don’t have, this one would be mine.

Hope it works for the people that need it, though!

Interesting for me, as I have a Carvin that has a Floyd but also has locking tuners.

As a hater of locking nuts I find it interesting. It would definitely need to be combined with locking tuners. My biggest problem is aesthetic. I think it would look horrible on my maple neck Charvel.

Back