God I hate this part of being a "band leader"

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So it has gotten to a point where I have to fire the drummer in the main cover band I am in. Things have really piled up and it's to a point where the bass player and lead singer (my wife) have both said he goes or I go. What sucks so hard about it is I have become good friends with him but looking at it objectively he really has been checked out of this situation for awhile. Yeah he shows up to the gigs and does a good job but the past few months he never works up any new material we want to add, never promotes us in any way and on top of it all he does promote his other cover band project like his life depends on it and it's all he talks about. Also he has booked shows for his other band going through us. Instead of finding who the booking contact is he has been seeking them out at our gigs and booking shows for that other band before we even leave the building.

Another objective observation is that they are definitely not as good, established, or drawing as well as we do but he obviously enjoys that situation much more.
Then factor in another drummer we know who is very available now and a better drummer than our current one and it's a perfect storm. He wont be available for long, so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

I mean just the booking shows for his other band before we even load out is enough for most bands to fire someone.

Bah I hate doing it still. I know for a fact he's gonna be pi$$ed off about it.

Yep booking his other band after having a great show with your band is big NOPE for me. Book your own gig on the impression that other band just left, not steal the heat we just brought to drum up interest for your other thing.

I had noticed they were booking at places that we fought hard to get into, so I followed him after our night was done one night and caught him red handed trying to book his other band. I didnt stop him cos the next day he posted 2 dates for that location for his other band. What really stumps me is we have treated him great and kept him busy AND we are definitely the better band.

I had noticed they were booking at places that we fought hard to get into, so I followed him after our night was done one night and caught him red handed trying to book his other band. I didnt stop him cos the next day he posted 2 dates for that location for his other band. What really stumps me is we have treated him great and kept him busy AND we are definitely the better band.
Well and some people wouldn't feel offended by that tactic? I look at it 100% as we just put on a great show then dude is parlaying that into a discussion about his other band who could completely suck? I don't necessarily blame him but it isn't right.

why are the bassist and singer making you do it?

do it as a band, make them express their feelings.

i agree he needs to go if you all feel that way but it should be a group decision and the group should tell him together instead of forcing it all on you.

yep. sucks but...

chicago fire close the door on your way out GIF by NBC

I fail to see much of a problem. Sure, guy is a friend but doesn't behave like. Also seems to prefer his other band. And you've got a backup already. Just be honest and things will be fine. And in case they aren't, the guy has never been a real friend to start with, as frustrating as it might be to realize that (been there...).

They also don't sniff moth-balls. Whatever the f**k they are.

You never smelled moth balls before? It’s hard to get their legs spread apart but once ya do, ya know it.

Back