God I hate this part of being a "band leader"

I'm in a single cover band. I'd love to do some originals but too much work with no one interested in doing it with me.

I'm not a great player but I do know what I bring to the table and realize it's worth. Aka dumb non-guitar noises made on guitar and the willingness to play the dumbest most questionable by any self respecting rock/metal fan material you could think of and not bat an eye provided people have fun with it and it goes over.

In every musical venture; attitude plays a HUGE role in getting a successful band up and going. This guy seems like his attitude is he's ready to hop over to what he perceives to be the next best thing.

Or they book all the gigs, own all the PA, and are control freaks.

:LOL:
This. But it was so freeing when I told him, "Save your breath. I'm out," when he was about to tell us all the reasons why he called this meeting, and I knew what was about to happen.
I never looked back or regretted it.

This. But it was so freeing when I told him, "Save your breath. I'm out," when he was about to tell us all the reasons why he called this meeting, and I knew what was about to happen.
I never looked back or regretted it.

Yeah control freaks suck. I drive the bus in that band but I am far from a control freak. Every single member has veto power over pretty much everything. Certain things like blackout dates and such are up to the individual (sans emergencies of course) IOW I check with everyone before I book something. One thing I dont do is "band meetings" these are all adults. No one gets warnings or ultimatums. You either hold up your end of the bargain or we find someone who will. I have had good luck with it. people get as much rope as they need. What they do with that rope is up to them. I'm not a Nanny. I still hate firing people. Especially friends.

I'd rather be in 1 quality band than 3 sucky bands that just plows through 40 songs in a night and dont see each other again til the next gig.

The band I was in only saw each other at gigs, we didn't socialize or rehearse at all. However, we had a house gig where we were playing three nights a week, so our "rehearsals" were the Thursday night gig. We did this for four years straight, and did actually rehearse on Tuesday nights in the beginning. But if you play often enough with the same guys, the band winds up "sharing a brain" so to speak, where everybody knew instinctively what everybody else was going to do.

The band I was in only saw each other at gigs, we didn't socialize or rehearse at all. However, we had a house gig where we were playing three nights a week, so our "rehearsals" were the Thursday night gig. We did this for four years straight, and did actually rehearse on Tuesday nights in the beginning. But if you play often enough with the same guys, the band winds up "sharing a brain" so to speak, where everybody knew instinctively what everybody else was going to do.

I have been in a situation like that. I really enjoyed it too. New manager came in and killed live music. We did it for 2 years.

Yeah control freaks suck.
I wanted to do R.O.C.K in the USA, and when I suggested it, it was an instant, "No. I can't stand JCM." I was like so what? It's a great song.
A few weeks later our bass player, who never spoke when it came to song choices, jumped up and said, "Next week everybody gets 1 pick, and we work it up and try it out. No exceptions." Since he never said anything, this was my chance.

We ran through it, it sounded amazing, and everyone had a big grin on their face as to how quickly it came together. So it went on the list, and, ended up being our closer, that we also made into a medley with What I Like About You. And yes, I rubbed it right into his face!

I can't stand people who veto good ideas for stupid reasons, just because they're the "band leader."

I wanted to do R.O.C.K in the USA, and when I suggested it, it was an instant, "No. I can't stand JCM." I was like so what? It's a great song.
A few weeks later our bass player, who never spoke when it came to song choices, jumped up and said, "Next week everybody gets 1 pick, and we work it up and try it out. No exceptions." Since he never said anything, this was my chance.

We ran through it, it sounded amazing, and everyone had a big grin on their face as to how quickly it came together. So it went on the list, and, ended up being our closer, that we also made into a medley with What I Like About You. And yes, I rubbed it right into his face!

I can't stand people who veto good ideas for stupid reasons, just because they're the "band leader."

That's a great one for cover bands. We do Hurts So Good and I'd add that one you mentioned instantly.

Oddly enough; we worked this medley up but never played it out. Not sure why? It's like 3 chords, 2 songs and super easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I get it if you were a 90s cover band or a death metal band or something where it made no sense. But a general variety cover band playing older material for grown adults? It'd go over.

Oddly enough; we worked this medley up but never played it out. Not sure why? It's like 3 chords, 2 songs and super easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I get it if you were a 90s cover band or a death metal band or something where it made no sense. But a general variety cover band playing older material for grown adults? It'd go over.

Which reminds me of how many just don't get it. Most people in general mean well but a good example is the 80's Metal Tribute thing I am doing, I have the drummer and bass player suggesting songs like Twice as Hard and Mississippi Queen. I'm not kidding. These guys are all my age. We discussed at length what the concept was and all agreed on it. I cant even list all the past transgressions of people trying to change the format either accidentally or many times on purpose. One band I was in the concept was top 40 instant hits from the 60's to the 90's and EVERY single suggestion the bass player came up with was as obscure as it gets. Stuff like The Bomber, Brand New Cadillac, Strychnine by The Sonics etc etc. Great songs? Debatable but that's not the point.

It's very frustrating. People wonder why some of us believe there needs to be a leader in a band to call most the shots.

Yep! They lay right into each other nicely- tempo, key. Perfect tempo for that '80's white-people dance moves' too. :rofl
It takes 10 minutes to work up FFS. If it even remotely fits what you do; you have next to zero work in the d@mn thing to just try it and see :rofl

There's this one dude at a place we play that pretty much lives there. He's easily 85-90 and he lives on the dance floor too but he does this one move where he's like jerking his arm up while scooting his feet and he circles the dance floor with that one move pretty much every song. Dude is a riot.

punk rock dance GIF

Back