God I frickin love P90's so much these days

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
My first and only P90 guitar has become my number 1. I cant remember the model but it has Bareknuckle P90's and they are so perfect for everything from chimey clean to classic metal and everything in between

Question though. As this is my first P90 experience, do they vary greatly? Like would I most likely be happy with say an SG with stock P90's?

I need to bust my SG back out. I love the stock P90s in there but I don't have any other p90 experience besides some gibson p94s I had years ago

A Gibson R6 and the old soap-bar PRS gold top McCarty are my favourite P90 guitars.
O4AxwVV.jpg

I should buy one of these, I always like them when I play one.

Only P90 guitar I ever played is my Vox Bobcat, and they are "speshul" P90's - so anything I say is fraught with peril and potential misunderstanding. But I like them :idk

Ya know, I’ve never played a guitar with P90’s. Not plugged in anyway. Gonna have to change that at some point.
Its Glorious, not for high gain but for practically anything else the bark of p90's is pretty awesome

The P90s are a perfect middle ground beteen a single coil and a humbucker...play lightly and you get the crisp single coil sound and then dig in and you’ve got thick creamy humbucker tone...glorious. Play normally and there’s a hint of growl like nothing I’ve experienced. And of course running 11.2 makes it even more fun to go from clean to mean without touching a single dial on the guitar or the axe, it’s all in the pick attack applied.

My first and only P90 guitar has become my number 1. I cant remember the model but it has Bareknuckle P90's and they are so perfect for everything from chimey clean to classic metal and everything in between

Question though. As this is my first P90 experience, do they vary greatly? Like would I most likely be happy with say an SG with stock P90's?
The guitar is a Hagstrom XL2P. The model I cant remember is the P90 model. I though it had Mississippi in the name though.

This but a lefty..

1681436038415.png

Last edited:
Only tried it once in a store on a hollowbody. I loved the dynamic range.
Perfect neck PU.
My dream guitar will probably have a P90.

I wonder how PAFs compare to these but a single coil is a single coil.

Last year I got me an LP Junior -- it has a single P90 pickup in the bridge and no neck pickup. It's become one of my favourite guitars. Just as @Stone said, the perfect middle ground between single coil and humbucker. Under gain, it produces pinch harmonics like there's no tomorrow. The only downside is that it hums a bit more than a single coil -- but I'm more than willing to put up with that.

Last year I got me an LP Junior -- it has a single P90 pickup in the bridge and no neck pickup. It's become one of my favourite guitars. Just as @Stone said, the perfect middle ground between single coil and humbucker. Under gain, it produces pinch harmonics like there's no tomorrow. The only downside is that it hums a bit more than a single coil -- but I'm more than willing to put up with that.

On the note of the noise, on my SG special, it seems that middle position doesn't have a hum cancelling effect either. The tones tho :love

On the note of the noise, on my SG special, it seems that middle position doesn't have a hum cancelling effect either. The tones tho :love

I don't get any humming on my P90's but I had them professionally installed so I couldn't say if shielding or what not was put in there. Even at higher gain settings.

I don't get any humming on my P90's but I had them professionally installed so I couldn't say if shielding or what not was put in there. Even at higher gain settings.

I think I read it’s the nature of a lot of vintage and the stock Gibson p90s to not hum cancel even when being run at the same time… ? I would imagine BKP would nip that in the bud with their product

Don’t quote me on that though haha

I used to pick up P90 guitars in the local GC and never was thrilled with them. Bright, thin, weird sounding etc. So I didn’t go there and had all bucker guitars. Years later I’m browsing Craigslist and I see a MII Hamer Jr for $320. So I bought it for $300. Needed a setup but otherwise a nice guitar. And I fell in love with it. I picked up a MIK PRS SE 245 Soapbar. That one is strange because the pickups measure identical ohms both bridge and neck. So the neck is hot but it has separate volumes so I roll it down. I also have a couple guitars I put Duncan P-rails in that have the vintage 90’s. So yeah, I love P90’s now. I’m a classic rock guy and to me they sound big and fat with a snarly midrange that is addicting.

Reactions: V|J
Back