Gibson Les Paul vs Epiphone: Can you spot the Epiphone?

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
A quick blind test of three Les Pauls. One is an Epiphone Adam Jones signature with Duncan Distortion, one is a Gibson Classic with 57+ and one is a Studio with 498.

Reamped with two different amps. Can you pick the Epiphone?

And while we are here, thoughts on this?

Adam Jones Epib.png

Last edited:
I’m guessing the 2nd one is the Gibson but I’m only doing that assuming the 498 has less output than the Distortion.

Not a fan of that art, but I guess that’s where Adam said “Well, I’ll probably get in some shit if I don’t use my wife’s artwork for at least one of these”

I thought the Gibson was the first, but either sounded great to me. Both my Epi's have Gibson PU's in them and I think they sound good and better than ones that dont.

Want to note there are 3 sections in each clip. Guess I had 2 and 3 too close to each other. The guitars are in the same order in each. I used two different amp to give some perspective.

Hahahaha I read it too fast and didn’t realize there were 3 guitars or how the clips were set up, but I still think the Epi is first. Hahaha I don’t know jack shit about all 3 pickups, so I’m really just shooting in the dark.

Honestly? No.

Did the same type of shootout years back with a Custom Shop R9, a regular weight relieved standard, and an Edwards Jimmy Page. Playing wise they all felt very different but at the end of the day they each sounded like a really killer LP in a song mix. Very slightly different from one another but undeniably Les Paul all the way. DAMN!!!! I wish I still had that Edwards!

Neither stay in tune :crazy Seriously I have owned several LP's I wanted to love but the G string always went out. One was an R9 I paid 5g for and finaly sold losing a grand. Tried everything lube in the nut and saddles ect.

Crazy because a lot of folks say theirs are great and stay in tune perfectly

I think the first one sounds best to me, and honestly imo I'm betting that means it's the epiphone, because while I am a gibson snob I cannot stand most of their bridge pickups. Especially the 57+

I will lol if the first one is the 57+ tho :LOL:

Not a fan of that art, but I guess that’s where Adam said “Well, I’ll probably get in some shit if I don’t use my wife’s artwork for at least one of these”
I imagine she had a big part in the decision to use art on the guitars.

I'm indifferent to the use but I have to say the choice of pieces used is baffling. I can only imagine it was done to draw attention to the artists featured.

I imagine she had a big part in the decision to use art on the guitars.

I'm indifferent to the use but I have to say the choice of pieces used is baffling. I can only imagine it was done to draw attention to the artists featured.

Yeah, some of it is really cool and doesn’t seem out of place in the Jones world, this particular one is a bit jarring.

1. Les Paul Classic with 57+
2. Les Paul Studio with 498
3. Epiphone Adam Jones with Duncan Distortion

For me the 57+ is chewier, sings with leads and has great separation.

The 498 has more potential to have quack from the pick attack.

The Duncan Distortion has a thicker midrange and can get muddy at times.

Personally, they are all great and this Epiphone has changed my perception of the line. Though I still have a hard time with the look of the head stock.

1. Les Paul Classic with 57+
2. Les Paul Studio with 498
3. Epiphone Adam Jones with Duncan Distortion

For me the 57+ is chewier, sings with leads and has great separation.

The 498 has more potential to have quack from the pick attack.

The Duncan Distortion has a thicker midrange and can get muddy at times.

Personally, they are all great and this Epiphone has changed my perception of the line. Though I still have a hard time with the look of the head stock.

Interesting!! I seriously hated the 57+ in my old sig T. Like it was my least favorite pickup I've ever had in a guitar, but it sounds far and away the best to me here.

Interesting!! I seriously hated the 57+ in my old sig T. Like it was my least favorite pickup I've ever had in a guitar, but it sounds far and away the best to me here.
I had posted a thread when I first bought the Classic. I hated the 57+ also. Did some research and saw some who mention adjusting the pole pieces. Went from a boomy mess to just right. The key was making the side of the pickup closest to the bridge closer to the strings.

I had posted a thread when I first bought the Classic. I hated the 57+ also. Did some research and saw some who mention adjusting the pole pieces. Went from a boomy mess to just right. The key was making the side of the pickup closest to the bridge closer to the strings.

Interesting, I never messed with the pole pieces, but I couldn't get anywhere with just pickup height adjustments. I replaced it with a pearly gates and was much happier though. Sadly that guitar is long gone

Back