Getting a backing track into DAW

duzie

Shredder
Is there a way to get a YouTube backing track into a DAW without using sketchy download converters?
What’s your process?
I’m using Logic Pro X , although I’m not sure if that’s really relevant.

I’ll have to look into this.
I don’t know what that is lol
It's a simple stock Apple app that comes with your Mac. You can record the whole screen or a section of it. Once you do that, drag and drop it into Logic. It'll step you through the process.

I rarely pull audio from youtube, but the few times I have I just set the main output to one of my interfaces, send a stereo out into another interface's line inputs. Quick and easy, not much fuss. I use Studio One fwiw.

Soundflower, takes seconds to configure. I made a post about it in the Do Something Resource thread-

Routing Audio Into DAW: I strongly prefer this, because it's a clean rip and goes right into your DAW. I'm on a Mac and use Soundflower, it's free and really simple to use. Technically, you don't even use IT, just select it from drop down menus.

Soundflower - https://en.softonic.com/s/soundflower:mac

Once you have it installed, all you have to do is open System Preferences>Sound>Output>Soundflower
Then open Logic, go to Preferences > Audio > Input Device = Soundflower
Open a stereo track, keep the Input Monitoring ON so you can hear what you're recording, press Record (might wanna shut the metronome off) then press Play on YouTube. Once it's over you can edit the clip and don't forget to switch your audio inputs back!

That's it!

Last edited:
Soundflower, takes seconds to configure. I made a post about it in the Do Something Resource thread-

Routing Audio Into DAW: I strongly prefer this, because it's a clean rip and goes right into your DAW. I'm on a Mac and use Soundflower, it's free and really simple to use. Technically, you don't even use IT, just select it from drop down menus.

Soundflower - https://en.softonic.com/s/soundflower:mac

Once you have it installed, all you have to do is open System Preferences>Sound>Output>Soundflower
Then open Logic, go to Preferences > Audio > Input Device = Soundflower
Open a stereo track, keep the Input Monitoring ON so you can hear what you're recording, press Record (might wanna shut the metronome off) then press Play on YouTube. Once it's over you can edit the clip and don't forget to switch your audio inputs back!

That's it!
Dammit I believe now that I’ve asked a similar question before and never followed through on checking out Soundflower 🤦🏻‍♂️🤪

If your interface has a loopback channel you can just use that to record straight into the daw

Back