Gettin’ all 80’s up in here!

dcburn

Groupie
Years ago, my buddy had a great sounding chorus pedal that over the years, I haven’t forgotten about.
Not a boutique by any means, just an everyday chorus, but she sounds great.
Affordable.
Analog version, made October 1994.

Boss CE-5

Im finding, like my Phase 45, I play with amp gain and am really liking the effect with my guitar volume rolled back just a bit.

Josh (JHS) would be happy…
“I got the box” (sung)

What are you guys using?

PS to TGF
I find it so awesome that as soon as you type the potential title to a new thread, the site does a search for you whether your topic has been brought up in the past…

Attachments

• 1D2AF973-2DBC-4F2B-9476-E4AEE27371A5.jpeg
    1D2AF973-2DBC-4F2B-9476-E4AEE27371A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
I've got two chorus pedals.

One is a cheap EHX Neo Clone which sounds surprisingly good. It's the Nirvana chorus pedal but on low rate with high depth it's very rich sounding.

Then I bought an MXR Analog Chorus because I was on an MXR binge, and I don't like it at all. It dulls the high end due to a crappy buffer and then the chorus isn't as rich as I'd like without boosting the level too much.

I really like the sound of the Boss CE-2 Waza but I decided to get an HX Stomp (again) to satisfy my modulation and reverb needs (amongst other things), so planning to stick with that for now.

Nice!

I’ve always been a fan of Boss chorus. An old CE-2 was my go-to for years. I also really like EHX chorus for times when I want more of a “special effect” kind of sound.

There’s such a huge difference between true analog chorus and digital (even digital emulation of analog). I’ve always loved the way analog chorus can fill the sound and make it bigger and fuller without sounding like an effect

Speaking of getting all 80's:

Dayum.

Speaking of getting all 80's:

Dayum.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that thing looked and seemed pretty super cool!

Love the Chorus selection in the Helix but i most often use Poly Detune along with the Legacy Roland Dimension D SDD320

Love the Chorus selection in the Helix but i most often use Poly Detune along with the Legacy Roland Dimension D SDD320
You made me look up the Poly Detune.
Gotta say that unit seems pretty sweet...

• Love
Reactions: JT
Yeah, there’s a CE-2 model in Fractal gear.

I still think Fractal chorus is the best I’ve heard in a digital device. It does that filling space thing really well for being digital

Fractal also has the best phase and uni-vibe I've ever used in a digital multi-effect (owned HXFX and Kemper in the past, the latter's u-vibe is particularly bad, just sounds bizarre).

Yeah, there’s a CE-2 model in Fractal gear.

I still think Fractal chorus is the best I’ve heard in a digital device. It does that filling space thing really well for being digital
Honestly have zero experience in any modeling gear, I stay out of those threads!
One day I am going to try some of this gear out though.

Really thought Id buy a Stomp for my delay, phase and chorus effects but ended up with pedals once again...

Fractal also has the best phase and uni-vibe I've ever used in a digital multi-effect (owned HXFX and Kemper in the past, the latter's u-vibe is particularly bad, just sounds bizarre).
The couple of vibes I owned were fairly quiet in my experience and have ended up selling them.
Would like a vibe again though, it was probably just me :idk

Trying these days to only buy pedals I'll keep.
As in when not in use I shelve them and not actually get rid of them...

Sitting here thinking about it some...

I'm not sure how much I like these actual effects (chorus, delay, reverb, phase)?

I tend to have them turned down in the mix a bit, more for making my tone bigger rather than the actual effect it is providing...

Sitting here thinking about it some...

I'm not sure how much I like these actual effects (chorus, delay, reverb, phase)?

I tend to have them turned down in the mix a bit, more for making my tone bigger rather than the actual effect it is providing...

Nah, it just means you’re using them the right way :D

There are two main ways to use effects like those:
  1. As an overt over the top special effect
  2. To add subtle texture/movement to a dry tone
Sometimes you want those obvious effects that sound like an effect, but a lot of the time you don’t want the effects to stand out. You just want them to add some interest to a tone without sounding like an obvious effect

Back