Fractal reverbs - what inspired them???

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
An idle question really, but I was just curious:
1688568392917.png

Does each one of these models have a real world pedal or bit of rack gear that inspired it, or is somehow its counterpart??

Pretty sure the "Cloud" stuff is Strymon Big Sky type stuff. Deep Space definitely has an Eventide Black Hole vibe but can't get as weird without adding additional effects.

EDIT: I should add I have the FM3, so missing some of those as well as the general pitch parameters within the reverb block.

All the reverbs were designed by me. A handful (i.e., North Church) were inspired by the Bricasti M7. Otherwise they weren't inspired by anything in particular.

Love the FAS reverbs!
👍❤️🙏

I thought I read where you wrote/posted that you had done a deep dive in understanding reverb algorithms … And the one’s like the lexicon’s seems more clear (better) versus reality/convolution.

Was that correct or something else?

Love the FAS reverbs!
👍❤️🙏

I thought I read where you wrote/posted that you had done a deep dive in understanding reverb algorithms … And the one’s like the lexicon’s seems more clear (better) versus reality/convolution.

Was that correct or something else?
I read many papers on reverb algorithms and there is one by David Griesinger that talks about perceptual qualities of reverb. I then spent a lot of time working out how to apply that to our reverberator. Our reverberator design is based on a modified FDN. FDNs are easy to make sound good. The hard part is making them sound great. The hardest part is getting the attack right.

IMO a great reverb is one you can load up, adjust the mix to taste (as well as the pre-delay if you're really fussy) and then pretty much forget it's there. So many units have reverbs that seem impressive at first listen but then end up sounding grating or cartoonish.

Excellent thread here about the history of Lexicon reverbs for anyone interested.

@FractalAudio if it's not an ancient chinese secret, how does the low freq decay/high freq decay/crossover work in the reverb block? Is there a low and high part of the decay or is it a low/mid/high setup like old Lexicon's where the reverb time sets the mid band decay and the low/high multipliers are calculated from that value?

The only ones I’m not thrilled with are the spring reverbs. They’re serviceable but meh. But digital spring reverb never sounds right for some reason.

It would be so nice to have a really good 6G15 done well.

Other than that they’re the best!

I like the North/South Church so much I tried to replicate them on my Strymon Nightsky. Not sure if I nailed them but I got something that I enjoy.

Reverb sound design is a fascinating thing. Reverb can do so interesting things but at the same time it's easy to overdo it and in live situations you might need to dial it to a minimum because of a live room or it being too much for a full band.

At the same time reverb ties everything together so it can be a bit jarring to change between drastically different reverbs because it can be almost like being transported to a different space.

My go-to Fractal reverbs are the Medium Room, London Plate (thanks to Leon Todd using it all the time) and occasionally the Recording Studio rooms.

Back