Fractal FM9: my seat of the pants review

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
So, FM9 Turbo GT-R Spec-V AWD Hybrid. More performance than before, and better gas mileage.

The pro's:

1. The tones. Jesus. Sweet Baby Jesus. What are we on now, Cygna 2? I have no idea what that even means, but the kerchunk, the kerrang, the pop, the zest, the tanginess......it's all there. We're here. I have no idea what the fuck @FractalAudio is going to do next on this, because sweet fuck it's awesome.
  2. My simpleton brain can't max this thing out. I just can't get above 50%.
  3. Solidly built*
  4. Editor is top notch, all the way
The con's:

1. Screen is a little small, for working directly on-unit
  2. Navigation is still a little clunky, but usable. I can do an entire patch from scratch without touching the editor. So is that a con? Eh.
  3. *Physically, the unit wobbles on flat surfaces. Kinda weird, kind of a bummer when stepping on switches. My FM9 don't jiggle it rocks.
  4. That's it, really.
Caveat: I've not yet done any recording with the USB interface. I'm hoping it's better than the FM3 was.

Overall, this is a decent chunk of change for a modeler. $1800+ after shipping and taxes. BUT......I personally feel it's worth it, especially in the face of $2000 25w tube amps upon us. For the amount of flexibility and quality, I have zero interest in any of the other platforms at this point, with the exception of still playing with plugins here and there.

Last edited:
I actually came for the review...

He said after taxes, unless I was getting something wrong.

Sales taxes in the US are not the same rates as taxes (VAT) in the EU. There's a lot of variation 🤷‍♂️

@paisleywookiee How many "flat surfaces" have you tried it on?

I read your comment and I've got mine here on the rug and I tried wobbling it and it _did_ move a little. And I'm all: "WAT!? - The Wookie is right! Why didn't I notice before!?".

I'm not sure the rug is 100% flat and unrippled, though.

Then I tried the FM9 on other smooth floors in the house as well as a very flat table top and it was solid; wobble-free.

Glad to hear that you're getting some of those grail tones, though :cool:

Please update us with other FM9 thoughts as they occur to you.

Last edited:
i want one, congrats!!!

but yeah with the screen size i feel like they are just like screw you thats why lololollol

I don't have the FM9 but the FC12 is the same hardware and it is rock solid on the floors I've used it on. I'd check if the chassis is somehow bent or one of the feet is somehow off or something.

The Fractal EU prices are tough. Even if you take out VAT you only get to about QC pricing for the FM9, which is still a good chunk more than a Helix Floor. I'm honestly glad that I'm pretty much good for gear if I don't buy anything for the next N years because things have gotten so expensive in about a year.

So, FM9 Turbo GT-R Spec-V AWD Hybrid. More performance than before, and better gas mileage.

The pro's:

1. The tones. Jesus. Sweet Baby Jesus. What are we on now, Cygna 2? I have no idea what that even means, but the kerchunk, the kerrang, the pop, the zest, the tanginess......it's all there. We're here. I have no idea what the f**k @FractalAudio is going to do next on this, because sweet f**k it's awesome.
  2. My simpleton brain can't max this thing out. I just can't get above 50%.
  3. Solidly built*
  4. Editor is top notch, all the way
The con's:

1. Screen is a little small, for working directly on-unit
  2. Navigation is still a little clunky, but usable. I can do an entire patch from scratch without touching the editor. So is that a con? Eh.
  3. *Physically, the unit wobbles on flat surfaces. Kinda weird, kind of a bummer when stepping on switches.
  4. That's it, really.
Caveat: I've not yet done any recording with the USB interface. I'm hoping it's better than the FM3 was.

Overall, this is a decent chunk of change for a modeler. $1800+ after shipping and taxes. BUT......I personally feel it's worth it, especially in the face of $2000 25w tube amps upon us. For the amount of flexibility and quality, I have zero interest in any of the other platforms at this point, with the exception of still playing with plugins here and there.
Thats it, im Quitting this GAS Inducing forum :hmm

:D

@paisleywookiee How many "flat surfaces" have you tried it on?

I read your comment and I've got mine here on the rug and I tried wobbling it and it _did_ move a little. "WAT!? - The Wookie is right! Why didn't I notice before!?", I exclaimed.

Such interrobang.

I'm not sure the rug is 100% flat and unrippled, though.

Then I tried the FM9 on other smooth floors in the house as well as a very flat table top and it was solid; wobble-free.

Glad to hear that you're getting some of those grail tones, though :cool:

Please update us with other FM9 thoughts as they occur to you.
Well shit, Jello. You're right. I thought the wood plank I had it on was flat, and it's snot. I put it on my daughter's dance floor (which I sometimes use) and it was flat as fuck. All good! Editing first post.

Thats it, im Quitting this GAS Inducing forum

Bug Brother GIF by d00dbuffet

Back