Fractal FM0 - mockup thread

Disagree here on the Kemper, at least. The VAST majority of my fine tweaking once a patch/rig is created is in terms of reverb decay/mix; delay feedback/mix; tremolo rate/depth. Having dedicated knobs for those things is a pretty big improvement to the playing experience once a rig has been created.

This.
Also goes to show how important it is to spread certain important parameters over a limited amount of physical knobs in a way to please the largest amount of potential users. Kemper has gotten this done really, really well IMO.

For those that want this thing, how would you use it? What kind of rig does it go in?

D
1711733866505.png

For those that want this thing, how would you use it? What kind of rig does it go in?

D
I'd put it on a desk, or on my pedalboard - which is also more of a "desk board". I've got some health issues that make floor modelers a no go for me. Crouching down to adjust them for any longer length of time is no good for me.

I sit in front of a computer enough as is that I'd rather not rely on a computer editor for 99% of editing - which is what I do with my Axe-Fx 3 atm. I thought when I bought it that I could put it so I'd use the onboard UI more but it hasn't been very practical because the unit doesn't like being angled, the fan gets annoyingly noisy.

I had the FM3 for a long time on a desk, on top of a cab etc. I never used the 3 switches on it for anything but a tuner because it became a navigation system of its own for anything more than simple scene chanes, and wasn't very nice to use with your hands only.

I must've run through Pedalplayground a bunch of times trying to figure out "How do I put this on a board so it's comfortable to use and fits in with other pedals I want to use to augment its capabilities?" It never worked out.

Put it in the back of the board for easy I/O access, and now the onboard UI is far away, and the slanted switches are not that practical.
Put it in the front of the board for easy switch/UI access and now you can't put anything behind it because of the cables poking out and taking space.
Try to fit everything next to it and you need one real wide board because of the size of the thing.

So to me a FM0 would solve some of these problems by just making it a "brain" type unit like the Axe-Fx 3 and without the switches getting in the way of operating the onboard UI, or without the bulk of the rack unit.

Of course I'd actually want something more next gen, but as a compromise a FM0 as I outlined in my mockups in the OP would work decently enough. Maybe.

So to me a FM0 would solve some of these problems by just making it a "brain" type unit like the Axe-Fx 3 and without the switches getting in the way of operating the onboard UI, or without the bulk of the rack unit
Same here.

I'd put it on a desk, or on my pedalboard - which is also more of a "desk board". I've got some health issues that make floor modelers a no go for me. Crouching down to adjust them for any longer length of time is no good for me.

I sit in front of a computer enough as is that I'd rather not rely on a computer editor for 99% of editing - which is what I do with my Axe-Fx 3 atm. I thought when I bought it that I could put it so I'd use the onboard UI more but it hasn't been very practical because the unit doesn't like being angled, the fan gets annoyingly noisy.

I had the FM3 for a long time on a desk, on top of a cab etc. I never used the 3 switches on it for anything but a tuner because it became a navigation system of its own for anything more than simple scene chanes, and wasn't very nice to use with your hands only.

I must've run through Pedalplayground a bunch of times trying to figure out "How do I put this on a board so it's comfortable to use and fits in with other pedals I want to use to augment its capabilities?" It never worked out.

Put it in the back of the board for easy I/O access, and now the onboard UI is far away, and the slanted switches are not that practical.
Put it in the front of the board for easy switch/UI access and now you can't put anything behind it because of the cables poking out and taking space.
Try to fit everything next to it and you need one real wide board because of the size of the thing.

So to me a FM0 would solve some of these problems by just making it a "brain" type unit like the Axe-Fx 3 and without the switches getting in the way of operating the onboard UI, or without the bulk of the rack unit.

Of course I'd actually want something more next gen, but as a compromise a FM0 as I outlined in my mockups in the OP would work decently enough. Maybe.

Ok thanks that makes sense.

I couldn’t figure out how I would really use such a thing, but I see how it would be useful for others now.

D

The Fractal version of the Apollo Twin Duo
Except 4 in 4 out plus digital in out
Touch screen and encoders as needed. And none of that UA jihad against midi.

Basically a powerful dongle to put on desk or travel with that enables plugs in DAW as well as on board processing and protects Fractals intellectual property from thieves.

I’m with all the folks here who’re prioritising portability for travel. I don’t exactly care what it LOOKS like as much as I care about the size. While I’m not in favour of a Katana Go-like unit, something the size of a larger pedal (anything in between a strymon timeline and a little big muff) might fit the bill quite perfectly imo.

While I’m not in favour of a Katana Go-like unit, something the size of a larger pedal (anything in between a strymon timeline and a little big muff) might fit the bill quite perfectly imo.

You're pretty much describing the POD Express. FAS could come up with a similar unit but still offer all advanced parameters under the hood (something Line 6 isn't doing).

Wouldn't be something for me, I'd rather have a comfortable to edit thing (on the device).

This.
Also goes to show how important it is to spread certain important parameters over a limited amount of physical knobs in a way to please the largest amount of potential users. Kemper has gotten this done really, really well IMO.

The best part of their solution is that it's:

1. Dynamic, changing pages changes functions of the knobs
2. See the value at the knob itself (leds around the knob)
3. Good size and not minaturized

The best part of their solution is that it's:

1. Dynamic, changing pages changes functions of the knobs
Actually, the part that differentiates them, imo, is the dedicated knobs for reverb/delay/mod parameters, regardless of what page you are on -- no need to get to a page to tweak the most important stuff.

2. See the value at the knob itself (leds around the knob)

Plus, they're endless encoders. One of the reasons I'm way less interested in the Kemper Player, because the value read out is a mockup and the pots aren't endless (pretty much an instant pass on most programmable units).

So to me a FM0 would solve some of these problems by just making it a "brain" type unit like the Axe-Fx 3 and without the switches getting in the way of operating the onboard UI, or without the bulk of the rack unit
And I also ask for inline FC3 - FC6 controllers

No screen, no buttons. Make it look like a portable harddrive with all the IO, just a black box I can stick on a pedalboard and use it with a loop switcher because I'm always going to want to use some pedals, whether I'm playing into amps or a Fractal unit. It can serve as a backup or the main rig in the same position on a board.

FM0 only makes sense to me as a pedalboard amp. An add-on to pedalboards with a power amp on or off the board. As such it doesn't need switches, but it does need a screen and controls (buttons, knobs), of course. This product would allow legions of traditional "amp+pedalboard+MIDI" users to add Fractal Audio modeling to their rigs, controlling it through the MIDI controller [edit: or FC] they already own.

Last edited:
Back