"Interstate Love Song" Guitar Cover

DrewJD82

Staff member
(Take 2)

I was scrolling through presets with the Orville and when I landed on a JCM800 preset I thought it reminded me of "Interstate", I've been jammin' along with songs I know were recorded with Les Pauls the last couple days so I checked if there were a version of this without the guitars. There was! It was just bass, drums and vocals. I've been playing this song almost as long as I've been playing guitar and since it wouldn't take long to record, I busted it out in under an hour.

Soundcloud keeps deleting it, so Dropbox will have to do- (Also, the file of this I got off YouTube has some artifacts I can't get rid of)

Two tracks of acoustic in the intro/choruses, no EQ at all, just a 57 pointed at the neck
1 slide git, neck pickup/volume cracked
2 JCM800 hard panned l/r
1 AC30 straight up the middle, barely mixed in

It could use some automation but I don't want to spend that much time with it, I did 3 passes of the guitars and called it a day. That was fun, though! I'm digging this Orville! Also, I believe DeLeo used a Jr with a P90 in it, but he plays it with a Standard live, so f*ck it. I wasn't trying to nail his tone, I didn't even adjust the amp when I went to record it, just dickin' around!

Last edited:
Really cool! Great playing and tone. Sounds good even without P90s. Surprised you didn’t sing on this one yourself

:banana

The whole apartment thing really puts a downer on singing in here. This one I might be able to pull off in the apartment, but it'd have to be during the day. I think I have a cover of me doing this acoustic/vocal on my FB, I've been playing this song a long time. It was one of the first songs I learned that had more than basic chords in it!

The whole apartment thing really puts a downer on singing in here. This one I might be able to pull off in the apartment, but it'd have to be during the day. I think I have a cover of me doing this acoustic/vocal on my FB, I've been playing this song a long time. It was one of the first songs I learned that had more than basic chords in it!
Understood and yeah STP rules. Plush was part of my first ever gig I played.

(Take 2)

I was scrolling through presets with the Orville and when I landed on a JCM800 preset I thought it reminded me of "Interstate", I've been jammin' along with songs I know were recorded with Les Pauls the last couple days so I checked if there were a version of this without the guitars. There was! It was just bass, drums and vocals. I've been playing this song almost as long as I've been playing guitar and since it wouldn't take long to record, I busted it out in under an hour.

Soundcloud keeps deleting it, so Dropbox will have to do- (Also, the file of this I got off YouTube has some artifacts I can't get rid of)

Two tracks of acoustic in the intro/choruses, no EQ at all, just a 57 pointed at the neck
1 slide git, neck pickup/volume cracked
2 JCM800 hard panned l/r
1 AC30 straight up the middle, barely mixed in

It could use some automation but I don't want to spend that much time with it, I did 3 passes of the guitars and called it a day. That was fun, though! I'm digging this Orville! Also, I believe DeLeo used a Jr with a P90 in it, but he plays it with a Standard live, so f*ck it. I wasn't trying to nail his tone, I didn't even adjust the amp when I went to record it, just dickin' around!
nice!

Damn Drew that was awesome, great playing and tone, nailed it :chef
Ill be embarrassed to post my cover of Plush when its done

:sofa

Sounds great! I've always been on and off with STP. Mainly because Weiland. DeLeo's guitar work is always great and you did an awesome job \m/

Sounds awesome! This is a pretty fun song to play, although it's really easy to get it wrong.

I got a bass a few years back and tried to learn some of Robert's parts...not easy at all. He's super creative, not to mention writing almost all their hit songs.

Sounds awesome! This is a pretty fun song to play, although it's really easy to get it wrong.

I got a bass a few years back and tried to learn some of Robert's parts...not easy at all. He's super creative, not to mention writing almost all their hit songs.

Hahahah there's a FB post I made a couple years back that pops up in my memories, it was when I first got my Warwick- "Tried learning the bassline to "Interstate Love Song" but I'm having more luck nailing "Far Beyond The Sun" by Yngwie." :rofl Maybe at some point I'll have the drive to actually learn one of Robert's basslines, they're practically a bass solo over the song while holding it down at the same time!

And I wouldn't be surprised if I were playing one of the verse chords wrong, I learned that song when it first came out and haven't brushed up since!

Sounds great! I've always been on and off with STP. Mainly because Weiland. DeLeo's guitar work is always great and you did an awesome job \m/

Yeah, it's one of those bands where I LOVE some songs but others I could go the rest of my life without hearing and be just fine.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Hahahah there's a FB post I made a couple years back that pops up in my memories, it was when I first got my Warwick- "Tried learning the bassline to "Interstate Love Song" but I'm having more luck nailing "Far Beyond The Sun" by Yngwie." :rofl Maybe at some point I'll have the drive to actually learn one of Robert's basslines, they're practically a bass solo over the song while holding it down at the same time!

And I wouldn't be surprised if I were playing one of the verse chords wrong, I learned that song when it first came out and haven't brushed up since!
I can tell you what the chords are, as I'm pretty sure I learned it from a magazine article with DeLeo:
The bassline walks down chromatically- Db C B Bb, and the chords work off them
Dbm or Dbm7 (that one I'm not sure), Ab/C, then Idk what this chord is, but on strings 5-4-3-2 play: 2312, then 2121

I can tell you what the chords are, as I'm pretty sure I learned it from a magazine article with DeLeo:
The bassline walks down chromatically- Db C B Bb, and the chords work off them
Dbm or Dbm7 (that one I'm not sure), Ab/C, then Idk what this chord is, but on strings 5-4-3-2 play: 2312, then 2121

Hahaha yeah, once you start tossing numbers into chords I'm lost. I can't overstate how terrible I am with any kind of theory. :rofl

4 3 2 1 0
5 4 3 2 2
6 5 2 1 0
6 6 4 2 2
4 3 2 1 0 is how I've always done it.

I used to get my uncle to learn stuff and show me, with this one he started chuckling and said "Oh no, YOU'RE gonna learn it. You've been gettin' a free ride, buddy!" This one and the "Empire" riff were the two he did that with and I totally get why now, the different voicings were a b*tch to pick out with distortion. Hahahah and when I asked him if I got it right, "Does it sound right to you? You gonna start writing your own music and ask me if it sounds right every time? Trust your ear, because ya don't have anything else!"

I know Dean's doing something different during the chorus on the G#, he adds in a note for the 2nd half of the measure but f*ck it.

Ted Greene has not entered the chat....

:rofl

Great job, Drew. Fun song. :beer

We whipped out Big Empty last rehearsal---which we haven't played in years. That's what
copious amounts of Christmas Pot will do. You suddenly remember something you haven't
remembered in years, and then forget it immediately after for an indefinite number of years. :LOL:

Sounds like you are digging the Orville.

Back