For the Robot and Cyborg Guys That Gig...

What are you guys backlining with these days? Anybody still using "FRFR" options and IRs in your FR cabs? What gets you excited as far as what's out there? Seems like after a bunch of guitarcentric development, a lot of this stuff sort of fell off the map (maybe due to the pandemic) and isn't as much of a hot button as it once was.

Currently I've got a Matrix GT1000FX into a singular Matrix FR212 that I got a sweet deal on just before the world closed... I'm thinking of trying to reconfigure this back into a stereo set of 112's because of self indulgence and zero practicality other than easier to move (this rig started out with a pair of Matrix CFR112's inplace of the 212... I'll post the long story short on that below).

TLDR (The Long Story Short) should you dare:
Here's why I've been running the Matrix stuff w/ Helix and the QC (oh noes)... About 6 or 7 years ago a buddy of mine mentioned that he had some gear I might be interested in in his storage space, all brand new and never gigged. He went about how he'd purchased an easy to move stereo option for potentially gigging with his Axe Fx. In there were a couple of speakon cables, a Gator rack, a Furman unit, the GT1000FX and the pair of CFRs.

He said he never found a use for it since he found pulling a small modded Fender Hot Rod 2x12 gave him more joy with a couple of pedals. He'd asked if I was interested in acquiring it. I said totally... but at the time I had other responsibilities and since we hadn't spoken price, I figured it'd be close to the retail (I estimated upwards of like $2500 for all of it based on new pricing with maybe a small bro discount).

6 or so months passed, I ended up winning a homerun pool at the office, so I reached out to see if Steve still had the gear, and what it would take to pry it out of the storage space. He was pretty upfront that it was still there, never used outside of his apartment once, and that if I wished I could have it all for $550. He was too fk'n lazy to return to box it back up and return it previously, and equally as non motivated to try and ebay it, and here on LI the market was probably me at the time looking for something like this.

As it stood I won $550 in that pool, so I said hell yeah, and I ended up with all of it. A couple of years passed and I grabbed the 2x12 in late 2019 on Reverb for $700 shipped in the box. I ended up selling the wedges for $750 each, so it ended up recouping everything I spent on this stuff which is wild. Sadly Steve passed around Christmas a few years ago and I never mentioned prior that I'd moved on from the wedges. He probably would have responded with something like "ahhhh you f--ker!"

Cheers guys,

J.

RIP Steve!

Haven't gigged since Oct but most of the time when I was gigging heavily it was either with just IEMs (no backline - just guitar in wedges), a QSC K8.2 on a pole at neck-height (along with IEMS) or a 1x12 combo through the FX return (with IEMs). I sing too so I need my IEMs!

I'm sure most people here will tell you that they've gone back to a powered guitar cab or even back to real amps. Most people I see don't gel well with 2-way PA wedges - especially when they get a chance to A/B the live cab vs a mic'ed sound. I got caught in the back-and-forth myself and enjoy both after crafting my own IRs to sound like my live cabs.

I think the guitar-centric PA stuff isn't great although I've only really tried the more budget-friendly options.

RIP Steve!

Haven't gigged since Oct but most of the time when I was gigging heavily it was either with just IEMs (no backline - just guitar in wedges), a QSC K8.2 on a pole at neck-height (along with IEMS) or a 1x12 combo through the FX return (with IEMs).

I'm sure most people here will tell you that they've gone back to a powered guitar cab or even back to real amps. Most people I see don't gel well with 2-way PA wedges - especially when they get a chance to A/B the live cab vs a mic'ed sound. I got caught in the back-and-forth myself and enjoy both after crafting my own IRs to sound like my live cabs.

I think the guitar-centric PA stuff isn't great although I've only really tried the more budget-friendly options.
Yeah the wedges sucked man. They were too directional and narrow if you know what I mean, even if you tried to place them sideways to look like standard cabs they kinda just pumped in 1 direction.

As for now, I like the sounds I'm getting with the singe 2x12 and I don't really have the room for a second currently but I could do a stereo 1x12 set up if I move the guitar coffin in the room.

@Alex Kenivel
This is the current backline (you guys can ignore the QC if you wish hahaha)
IMG_7906.jpeg

Yeah the wedges sucked man. They were too directional and narrow if you know what I mean, even if you tried to place them sideways to look like standard cabs they kinda just pumped in 1 direction.
Wedges can really suck when you're right on top of them/too close. Keeping them farther back to let the two elements blend together is less jarring when moving around a stage or room. Some wedges just plain suck even if they're not just rebranded Altos. I had a Carvin PM112 that made everyone grimace.

My QSC K8.2 surprised quite a few times when used in different situations -- Metal band with no PA - One K8.2 outplayed three Alto TS212s. A Cranberries tribute on a stage with full complement of Meyer Sound speakers/subs and the sound guy asking if I could turn my little QSC (in the corner behind the bass amp) down.

Too bad the one I have developed an annoying fan rattle that resonates at 220hz

Ooof, it actually ain't the strings lol... it's the string cleaner and the microfiber cloth. That's all on that front.
good save :rofl

even if they're not just rebranded Altos

Fwiw, I'm using an Alto. Problem is in the 212/210/208 series - which are the ones Headrush is using. The TS310 I use is every bit up to Yamaha DBR/DXR level, just that it's got less settings (lacks a monitor EQ curve, but I don't need that), and unfortunately, they're not exactly rugged, you really need to take care of the pots in case all you have is a protective cover. But otherwise, they're fine. And I even AB-ed them against the DXR10s.
And well, if I was doing any kind of metal stuff, I possibly needed something else (or 2 of them), but I'm not.

Wedges can really suck when you're right on top of them/too close. Keeping them farther back to let the two elements blend together is less jarring when moving around a stage or room. Some wedges just plain suck even if they're not just rebranded Altos. I had a Carvin PM112 that made everyone grimace.

My QSC K8.2 surprised quite a few times when used in different situations -- Metal band with no PA - One K8.2 outplayed three Alto TS212s. A Cranberries tribute on a stage with full complement of Meyer Sound speakers/subs and the sound guy asking if I could turn my little QSC (in the corner behind the bass amp) down.

Too bad the one I have developed an annoying fan rattle that resonates at 220hz

good save :rofl
Those QSCs are the bomb. I’m considering snagging a pair of 1x12 Powercabs.

Fwiw, I'm using an Alto. Problem is in the 212/210/208 series - which are the ones Headrush is using. The TS310 I use is every bit up to Yamaha DBR/DXR level, just that it's got less settings (lacks a monitor EQ curve, but I don't need that), and unfortunately, they're not exactly rugged, you really need to take care of the pots in case all you have is a protective cover. But otherwise, they're fine. And I even AB-ed them against the DXR10s.
And well, if I was doing any kind of metal stuff, I possibly needed something else (or 2 of them), but I'm not.
I had a TS212 and I had to return it. Anything remotely low made it woof out. It was baaaad.

Don'ta lot of the "FRFR" options that have the fancy EQ options and curves via DSP add some latency? :idk

I’m running either a alto ts310 or and alto ts410 depending where I am. I have a variety of 4x12 cabs for recording but none ofnthem do anything i cant get out of the 310 with impulses.

I’m running either a alto ts310 or and alto ts410

Oh, you're the first person I know running them. Even better that you also have the 310. Any word on differences? If anything, what I'd like to see is a little better lower end (or rather low mid) tightness and improved build quality, especially of the pots.

Thanks. Not that I ever needed anything like that, but why not.
Fwiw, too bad there's so little coaxial FRFRs. For me, logic sort of dictates that they could adress some of the minor issues one might be running into here and there. But the ones easily available over here either are questionably cheap or very expensive.

I keep looking at these coax monitors the staging company bringsin, the turbosounds...theres su;pposed to be a cheaper version but its never in stock

theres su;pposed to be a cheaper version but its never in stock

Precisely. There's also Yorkville from Canada, apparently one of their coax monitors is excellent, but you can not buy anything from them in Europe. And then there's things such as the EV PXM-12MP, which I think could be great, but I'm in fact gravitating towards something smaller, maybe even just an 8" speaker that I could put on a pole stand.
I sometimes have some bits of my sound running through whatever provided monitors anyway, could do that more regularly and just use my own monitors for a better direct impact (and no, usually there's no phase issues, and even if so, I can always move my monitor by a few centimeters).

Back