Floyd Rose news.

I still can't believe that after all these years nobody has reinvented the Floyd Rose nut.

To me some quick clamps you could open without tools would be so much better.

I had a Contemporary Strat in the late 1980's that had a clamp style locking nut.
It was honestly a bit like a Capo.

It also broke and failed. :idk

woemaaxjmy4swomlpl0p.jpg

To be fair, the only time you should be opening a Floyd Rose nut is when changing strings, or of course doing maintenance or modifications. I guess if you’re doing that frequently, it could become a nuisance.

There have been a few finger tightening lock nuts but the long and short of it is they have all been shit , huge or both. They also have a poor record for longevity.

Ok @Eagle, so the black BR3 arrived today, which I immediately got to installing.

Tolerances must be all over the place on these because I actually had to remove the shim that I had under the stock chrome BR3. The R3 would have required either removing wood from the shelf or the nut itself. With that said, the nut height is completely dialed.

For the bridge, I’ve got one shim under the B and both E strings and two under the A string. This was dialed in at the 22nd fret so the additional shim under the A could be due to a high spot on that fret.

Regardless, I’m sitting at even string height at both the nut and at the 22nd fret. A pretty aggressive 1.25mm at the 12th, which is a little low for my taste. I’ll probably take it back up to 1.5mm.

I didn’t weigh it, but I did notice that the BR3 is much lighter than the R3. I should also note that the finish on the BR3 is inferior to the R3. It’s not nearly as glossy.

Ok @Eagle, so the black BR3 arrived today, which I immediately got to installing.

Tolerances must be all over the place on these because I actually had to remove the shim that I had under the stock chrome BR3. The R3 would have required either removing wood from the shelf or the nut itself. With that said, the nut height is completely dialed.

For the bridge, I’ve got one shim under the B and both E strings and two under the A string. This was dialed in at the 22nd fret so the additional shim under the A could be due to a high spot on that fret.

Regardless, I’m sitting at even string height at both the nut and at the 22nd fret. A pretty aggressive 1.25mm at the 12th, which is a little low for my taste. I’ll probably take it back up to 1.5mm.

I didn’t weigh it, but I did notice that the BR3 is much lighter than the R3. I should also note that the finish on the BR3 is inferior to the R3. It’s not nearly as glossy.
Yes what tolerances? That sounds different again to the BR3 I have on a Charvel. It is same weight and finished to a better standard than most German nuts but they are all different. The very old early 80s ones are by far the best OFR nuts. Oh if you don't count the always perfect 1996 nuts but unfortunately they don't fit exactly the same mount.

Back