Fixing a Macbook pro

It all boils down to this: I’ve been doing this for over two decades, with Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc. ...

My experience is pretty much the same. I was mostly joking about Unix - not at all claiming superiority. Quite right - nothing's perfect for sure; It's just that when I have to use Windows it irritates the feck out of me more than the others.

I love my lil' Switch though - Breath of the Wild kept me (mostly) sane during the isolation of the pandemic.

My experience is pretty much the same. I was mostly joking about Unix - not at all claiming superiority. Quite right - nothing's perfect for sure; It's just that when I have to use Windows it irritates the feck out of me more than the others.

I love my lil' Switch too - Breath of the Wild kept me (mostly) sane during the isolation of the pandemic.
Oh yeah I know you were joking :)

But yeah, I like Win10 just fine. It does the job I need it to do. Though, to be honest, if Office365 stuff ran native on Linux, I’d just go back to Mint again on my work desktop. I am not remotely thrilled with the Win11 UI, but that’s me.

I too am a Macbook user. (And iPhone / iPad). “It just works” is true. But haters gonna hate, and I don’t care. It works for me, seamlessly across all my devices. To be able to copy something on my iPad, and turn around to my Macbook and paste it there. Or onto my phone. Stuff like that is crazy cool. No broken updates, etc., like the Wookiee said.

But use what you want…

Also Breath of the Wild was awesome. I didn’t beat all the bosses at the end - ran out of patience. But I’m looking forward to #2…. It was a great game!

Oh yeah I know you were joking :)

But yeah, I like Win10 just fine. It does the job I need it to do. Though, to be honest, if Office365 stuff ran native on Linux, I’d just go back to Mint again on my work desktop. I am not remotely thrilled with the Win11 UI, but that’s me.

I hear ya.

I have also searched within myself and I do have a pleasant Windows memory: The best version I can remember was when I was running Windows Server 2008 R2 of all things on... a laptop (!) haha. Rock solid, lightweight, no cruft, no bullshit. If only that sort of thing was the standard / default.

If I had a dollar for every time someone hated a Mac and wanted to switch to Windows, and some else wanted the exact opposite...

Also applies to people that switched from, and will never buy again, a Chevy to Ford truck, and vice versa.

Oh, and didn't Microsoft promise Win10 would be the last OS they'd ever release? WTF happened there?

I've been a PC guy my whole life since 5 years old. Got my first Mac desktop in 2017 (used 2012 model) and I'm most likely going to replace it with another Mac. Modern Microsoft is a joke but sometimes I really miss Windows 95/XP.

I might get a Windows laptop for kicking around because I know a guy...

100% Apple here.
Apple TV, iPads, iphones for the whole family. And i like my M1 very much.
But when it comes to the family and kids and the kind of control and “surveillance” we can inflict on our poor children.. it’s out of this world.

My oldest (12) is utterly pissed off at apples child rating/restrictions that puts numerous of sticks in the wheel for his desire to do things rated 14 and above. It’s great.. I just like “haha, I can’t do nothing about that son… it’s Apple”.

Actually some things is way overblown… had to make a “over 16 yo” google accounts for both kids as Apple kinda wants them to be 5 years until they are 18…

Let’s not speak of Meta and the way they ripped off thousands of kids with Oculus….

Long post sorry.. my biggest Apple gripes.
One iMac that had a screen turn yellow in the bottom part and when it showed up it was 3 months past the “free fix” window… thanks.
One iMac with a Bluetooth circuit that got killed with an update and it wasn’t fixable.
One MacBook Pro with a screen film that bubbled and became weird… one year after “free fix” window… thanks Apple.
Yet.. here I am.. sending them all my money.

Last edited:
Apple fanboy here but use windows for audio production.

A few Unix guys nerded up the UAD forum a while back. It was funny. They had a nerd riot when they were basically told UAD for Unix is never going to happen.

Apple fanboy here but use windows for audio production.

A few Unix guys nerded up the UAD forum a while back. It was funny. They had a nerd riot when they were basically told UAD for Unix is never going to happen.
There’s been some movement for Linux audio. I check it out from time to time. But it’s still just scratching the surface of what’s available on Win/Mac.

I fixed Windows PCs for almost 30 years. When I come home and when I run my own business, it's definitely all Mac. The syncing of just about everything between all devices is incredible. It's not just parts of some stuff like other OSs.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I've been a PC guy my whole life since 5 years old. Got my first Mac desktop in 2017 (used 2012 model) and I'm most likely going to replace it with another Mac. Modern Microsoft is a joke but sometimes I really miss Windows 95/XP.

I might get a Windows laptop for kicking around because I know a guy...
Microsoft could have got it right had they developed a working Windows Phone. It just never happened.

I had a Windows phone for a few months and I actually liked it :bag No surprise there :roflIt was dead before it even got started though.

Back