First LP and Gibson can’t tell me what I have

I think they started switching back to the old format a couple of years ago. I’ve seen guitars use the YYXXXXXX format, but all of mine since 2019 have YXXXYXXXX.

This guitar is definitely a 2017, seen by the date on the card, date on the tape in the baby photo, and the finish on the models in 2017

Interesting, my '18 LP and '22 SG are both are in the YYXXXXXX format :idk

This changed in 2014. Gibsons since then its the first two digits https://www.gibson.com/en-US/support/serial-number-search
I know the website says that, but...it's wrong. :banana

I have a Les Paul that I bought new in 2020 and the serial number is 23650XXXX. So that's 1 and 5 for that year model. To be a 2023 model (based off of the first 2 digits) some time traveling would have to be involved involved.

You can also verify this by looking at a new one at Sweetwater like this one

This is brand new. Serial number is 202530361 for '23 .. I don't doubt that some actually start with the year by coincidence but the actual year of production is 1 and 5.

Year of production on Gibson serial numbers are digits 1 and 5 so this is a 2015 Standard. Color is Desert Burst. Bourbon burst is a large teardrop style burst. Desert Burst is a burst along the edges.

Not 2015. 2015 LP Standards had the weird headstock signatures and zero fret.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know the website says that, but...it's wrong. :banana

I have a Les Paul that I bought new in 2020 and the serial number is 23650XXXX. So that's 1 and 5 for that year model. To be a 2023 model (based off of the first 2 digits) some time traveling would have to be involved involved.

You can also verify this by looking at a new one at Sweetwater like this one

This is brand new. Serial number is 202530361 for '23 .. I don't doubt that some actually start with the year by coincidence but the actual year of production is 1 and 5.

Weird, there’s gotta be some inconsistency from the factory then. 1st and 5th would make my LP a 2014, but it’s definitely not, it’s an ‘18 for sure.

But now I’m curious if my sg is a ‘22 or a ‘20 lol

I’ve seen Les Paul DC Tributes with the two different serial date formats. No rhyme or reason that I can conjure. So they do exist simultaneously, but why is anyone’s best guess

So I’ve been reading about nitro and you’d think it would melt if you look at it wrong based on internet “research”

Seriously, can’t rest it against anything.

Makes me nervous to even take it out of the case.

I’ve never had any issues with Gibson nitro

My tele has reacted with shirts I’ve had on before tho

Well guys, I'm the new owner of this fine example of a LP. I'm posting to say that it was a pleasure dealing @lolainnb and I would gladly do so again. This was a very unplanned purchase for me. But the chance to put it next to my other 2017 Gibson, the Modern Double Cut pictured in my avatar, was too great to pass on. Something about that year was very good and this LP is more proof to me. This the 3rd LP I've owned over the years and easily the best.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Oh, please help replenish my gear funds by buying one of these find guitars now for sale :)

Well guys, I'm the new owner of this fine example of a LP. I'm posting to say that it was a pleasure dealing @lolainnb and I would gladly do so again. This was a very unplanned purchase for me. But the chance to put it next to my other 2017 Gibson, the Modern Double Cut pictured in my avatar, was too great to pass on. Something about that year was very good and this LP is more proof to me. This the 3rd LP I've owned over the years and easily the best.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Oh, please help replenish my gear funds by buying one of these find guitars now for sale :)

thank you @TJontheRoad. Five stars.

It's a totally bog standard (very nice though) 2017 tobacco sunburst Standard. The finish only has a problem if sat in an inappropriate stand, just check Gibson compatibility when you buy one and do store it in a case because the headstock coming off is one of my most common repairs to Les Pauls.

It's a totally bog standard (very nice though) 2017 tobacco sunburst Standard. The finish only has a problem if sat in an inappropriate stand, just check Gibson compatibility when you buy one and do store it in a case because the headstock coming off is one of my most common repairs to Les Pauls.

It's a bourbon burst. The available finishes for 2017 were blueberry burst, bourbon burst, heritage cherry sunburst, honey burst, and vintage sunburst. No tobacco burst. I never use any hanging stands or wall mounts and only safe materials at contact points.

Product Specs​

Brand
Model
  • Les Paul Standard T
Finish
  • Blueberry Burst
  • Bourbon Burst
  • Heritage Cherry Sunburst
  • Honey Burst
  • Vintage Sunburst
Year
Made In