File this under Modeling. It’s not always Digital.

KingsXJJ

Roadie
I know, I know. I tend to make the same assumptions as well.

But there is Analogue modeling too and I’d like to share some recent experiences. I’ve been looking at a ton of AITB solutions and digital modelers and one thing that has stood out is a certain company… DSM Humboldt. My Deluxe model is seriously stupid good sounding thru phones or without cab sims into a tube amp/cab. It put a ton of dirt pedals to shame. So, today I bought the X to see how it fared. I’ll know soon enough. Just throwing it out there that IMO DSM is miles beyond the Two Volts Revolt analogue series in many way in my humble experience.

These guys know tone and they aren’t using digital to craft it. Super cool IMO. Just need to throw in an optional HQ IR Loader baked in to take it all home.

Last edited:

But there is Analogue modeling too and I’d like to share some recent experiences. I’ve been looking at a ton of AITB solutions and digital modelers and one thing that has stood out is a certain company… DSM Humboldt. My Deluxe model is seriously stupid good sounding thru phones or without cab sims into a tube amp/cab. It put a tone of dirt pedals to shame. So, today I bought the X to see how it fared. I’ll know soon enough. Just throwing it out there that IMO DSM is miles beyond the Two Volts Revolt analogue series in many way in my humble experience.

These guys know tone and they aren’t using digital to craft it. Super cool IMO. Just need to throw in an optional HQ IR Loader baked in to take it all home.
Already filed: https://thegearforum.com/threads/this-looks-pretty-cool-simplifier-x.4947/#post-196748

You've got a ton of different rigs going on! Are you planning to strip down the selection at all?

I wasn't impressed with the Simplifier or Deluxe models. Didn't try the X at all. It was really missing the sag and compression of basically any modeler I've used. And the analog cab sim was awful. Basically sounded like plugging into an overdrive then direct into the board. Also struggled with low output.

Hopefully that's corrected with the new model, but I really preferred the Iridium and all other modelers.

Aren't the Blug pedals a good analog Sims example? Even with tube behaviour, supposedly.

Honestly, if he manages to, some day, launch his new flagship... It would be something to consider.

I love my BluGuitar amp but I wouldn't call it a "sim". It's an actual amp.
Yeah, it's an actual amp... But Thomas always says that it's meant to be a recreation of his own amps. At least, the AmpX is supposed to be that... Some kind of analog emulation of his own amp collection.

Yeah, it's an actual amp... But Thomas always says that it's meant to be a recreation of his own amps. At least, the AmpX is supposed to be that... Some kind of analog emulation of his own amp collection.
I'd say that falls under more of an "inspired by" label, in the same manner that Friedman amps might are based on various Marshalls, or try to do say Plexi style sounds in a master volume design.

The Amp X might be a bit closer to a modeler.

But there is Analogue modeling too and I’d like to share some recent experiences. I’ve been looking at a ton of AITB solutions and digital modelers and one thing that has stood out is a certain company… DSM Humboldt. My Deluxe model is seriously stupid good sounding thru phones or without cab sims into a tube amp/cab. It put a tone of dirt pedals to shame. So, today I bought the X to see how it fared. I’ll know soon enough. Just throwing it out there that IMO DSM is miles beyond the Two Volts Revolt analogue series in many way in my humble experience.

I think of them as emulators, not modellers. Modelling (to me) is digitally recreating the circuits. But I've been wrong before.

A lot.

Peavey Bandit: The original modeler.
My (everybody of a certain demographic) first “real” amp. I graduated to the 2X12 75w/side Chorus Combo for my first few years of gigging. A stereo 10 band BSR EQ tucked in back in the effects loop was my secret weapon.

Good Times.

Yeah my first amp was a little 1x12 Peavey don’t think it was a Bandit though. I then got a peavey stereo chorus 2x12 with built in digital reverb and delays. It was a fun little amp.

But I've been wrong before.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

oh.. wait

Back