Fender FR-10/FR-12 noise reduction mod

If you good people haven’t been following this thread, here it is. Mine is now installed and I’m as happy as @paisleywookiee at PositiveGrid’s funeral

Does this finally mean you will stop asking everyone for a video now ? 😂🤣

I'm on the list and even though the hiss levels on my FR-12 are acceptable I'm also excited about the other improvements that have been reported as well.

I think it's truly great that Lysander and WK have applied their skill and knowledge to making what was already a really good and cost efficient product much better.

Kudos to you both and I'm really looking forward to taking delivery!

First post.

Took possession of a new FR10 and it is not only quiet (maybe slightly more hiss than my DXR10, but very slightly), but this is also one of the few times where the hype has not exceeded the performance, at least just playing at home. Definitely the closest I’ve felt to having an actual amp in years. I see a second unit in my future for stereo.

Last edited:
I recently installed one of the Archangel V2 preamp replacement boards in my FR10. I bought my FR10 from Musicians Friend, and I was the lucky recipient of a "hissy" FR10 (no mods on the factory board). I am amazed how much quieter my FR10 is after installing the V2 board. I've had my FR10 setup in my family room and, before installing the V2, my wife would ask me to turn the FR10 off because the hiss was so loud. After I installed the V2, my FR10 was so quiet that she initially didn't believe me when I told her that the FR10 was powered up. Not only is the product excellent, but Liam (the mastermind behind Archangel and the new V2 preamp design) is a class guy with outstanding customer service. This is a great upgrade if you want to improve an already excellent FR10/12 to include a tuned crossover and EQ section, essentially inaudible self noise, protection from phantom power (the original Fender factory board will fry if exposed to phantom power), and an input clipping light. I am not affiliated with the company (lest you wonder if I receive anything for my glowing review). I just think that this is an awesome product sold by an equally awesome guy. For those not familiar, there is an epic thread on the Fractal Audio forum about this product. It's been mentioned on TGF before, but just in case you missed it, here is a link where you can read more:

Back