Favorite songs to play

True and I find a lot of songs that I thought had a lot of gain actually dont have that much gain
IE:" VH1 is quite low in Gain

View attachment 20678
I can hear it right away in tone demonstration videos, if it's too much gain for the song. Even a couple well-knowns do it from time to time.

But I also know I'm guilty of doing the same exact thing.

I think it comes from wanting more sustain on your high notes, so you go for that Gain knob, and just loving that sound overall!

I know for myself, I would do it when I got a PRS std 24 to compliment my LP Custom. That LP didn't need anything when it came to sustain, but I had to find ways to compensate for the lack of it, when playing the PRS.

And this was before PRS came out with the SC. I used to tell my bandmates, "If PRS would invent a guitar that had the ballz of my LP, with the ease-of-playing of my PRS, THAT would be an awesome guitar!"

A few years later was when our bass player showed up at rehearsal with that brand new, Tiger Eye SC I got to use for a month. I came really close to buying one, but they were like, $3200 at the time. (Early 2000's) I just couldn't justify it.

You've all gave me a lot to think about. Probably just a rut, like @la szum said - and I've not tried to noodle much of late as it was stopping me from what I thought was my #1 issue, "learning full songs". First few years were almost all riffs, and it was necessary, but I want to play more full songs.

You guys that can learn 30 in a week make me jelly! Such is my reality in learning when I'm at the age I am, and the creativity pool is pretty much emptied via work each day.

I really appreciate everyone's comments! :beer

You've all gave me a lot to think about. Probably just a rut, like @la szum said - and I've not tried to noodle much of late as it was stopping me from what I thought was my #1 issue, "learning full songs". First few years were almost all riffs, and it was necessary, but I want to play more full songs.

You guys that can learn 30 in a week make me jelly! Such is my reality in learning when I'm at the age I am, and the creativity pool is pretty much emptied via work each day.

I stumble across music on YouTube - some has no relation to what I can play, but is super inspiring.

Came across this band called "Knower" recently, and although I don't play jazz or pop or fusion.. the sheer talent and musical ability inspired me to write some new riffs !

Lately it's been this one that I wrote many many yrs ago.

I like it because it's a bit quirky

Any changes, news, or updates, @Warmart ?? :idk

Coincidentally, to get myself out of a rut trying to tackle a couple things a good bit out of my reach, I just started an exercise where I'm just picking a fairly straightforward classic rock type of song each day, and memorizing one or more of the riffs/rhythm parts. Then pick a new song the next day, another the day after, etc. I'll revisit prior songs for a day or two just to cement the part in memory. If a part's too difficult to get under my fingers recognizably in that time scale, I ditch it and immediately move on to something else (I have plenty to work on already to push my technique). Some of the songs I've dabbled with before, but at a much rawer technique level.

The goal is to be opposite what I was doing before, which was to slog through things for months or years using them to build my technique. Instead, I'm just trying to quickly learn as many different things within what I can do today and start building a broader all around vocabulary.

By way of example, the last three days the "new" items were: verse riff for Walk this Way, intro part of Free Ride, and the main riff of Black Dog, respectively. Tomorrow is Aqualung, probably the intro/verse part. So somewhere in between fireside strumming and Matteus Asato. Fun stuff for me to listen to hearkening back to my youth that will hopefully be fun to play.

After some number of days (30? 60?) I'll circle back through the list of songs and add adjacent sections to the part(s) I'd already worked on. A couple iterations of that and some will probably get under my skin enough to learn end-to-end. Then I'll have a shorter list to focus on while I'm off in the woods this summer.

I'm roughly of the same demographic as the OP in the sense of being a not-so-young-anymore dude who is picking up the guitar (again, in my case) late in the game and just looking t have fun.

Any changes, news, or updates, @Warmart ?? :idk
Heh, not really. Work's been nuts, exec's gonna exec - especially when they know nothing about what they are being dicks about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 'Nuthin new there. They do pay me well, and none of it's directed at me, but I don't like seeing my co-workers taking shit they don't deserve. Oh wait, you didn't ask about any of that lmao.

Been all over trying stuff, learned 90%+ of Dokken's Kiss of Death rhythm (it was good for me to be able to play), solo is totally not something I'd ever want to play, tbh. Well, never say never - but at this point it doesn't interest me. Most of their songs are kind of boring to play, maybe a cool riff and then meh.

Was so desperate I went and played Balls to the Wall, lmao. Now there's a song just about anyone can learn end-to-end in less than 10 minutes. :grin

I think I need to blame Mastodon. Learning Megalodon "set me up" and makes me expect every song to have 75 riffs in it, hehe. No matter, have 9's on all my 25" and higher guitars so I'm staying mostly in E for a while. Tried a little Pantera, Mouth for War and Shedding Skin are kinda fun.

Just a rut, man, just a rut.

But still open to hearing what others like to play, in as much as it's just interesting, maybe even more so than it'll be something I'll want to learn.

Last edited:
Dang! Sorry work is sucking you dry like that. :(

Was talking about this with the guys at practice the other day. How we look forward
to getting together to blow off some steam, and have some fun with friends making
noise. Sometimes we show up, and by Thursday we have nothing, to little, in the tank.
Mind is willing, but the body is feeble, and all that jazz. :idk

Just part of the journey I suppose.

I do know one thing---music and guitar has never let me down. The one constant
through all of life's stress, struggles, and turmoil. Happy or sad. Energized and exhausted.
Music can carry us through it all. :beer

Well we do similar work then. I was being a bit facetious, I'm thankful to be busy right now. But it does take a toll physically.
Yes it does! Some days it's my ankle that hurts, some days it's my knee. But oddly enough, when I'm focused on work, I don't think about it!
From a recent project: Beams installed with concealed hangers. Quite the challenge.
Floor Beams1.jpg

Back