Extended warranties on electronics

Do you get an extended warranty with your stuff?

• Hells no. Nothing's going to happen, and if it does, I'll just pay for the repair.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Oh yeah man. I don't want to get stuck with a bill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on what it covers, i.e. accidental damage vs. just defects

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
Do you guys get them? For example, on my iPhone I did, because it covers actual damage, same goes for my Apple Watch. However, on my Fractal FM9 (more expensive than the other two combined), I did not. Should I have gotten it? I've never heard of any major issues with them, so I figured I'd pass.

Additionally, on cars I've passed on it, because I ALWAYS surpass the mileage it covers, before something actually goes wrong. For example, I'm 235K into a Honda that I paid $1500 for a warranty to 100K for, and the only thing to go wrong (knock on wood) are the stuff that generally wears out.

Thoughts?

With most things in EU having a 2 year warranty I haven't seen any reason to pay for any extended ones. On top of that home insurance can cover a good bit, obviously if the issue happens at home. Paid for my Fryette PS-100 breaking from a tiny fall on its feet.

For Apple products I can see the appeal for AppleCare because Apple has really gone out of their way to make their devices totally unupgradeable. That's fine for a phone but truly sucks for laptops and desktops. Their refusal to use a standard M.2 slot NVME SSD is ridiculous, while quietly putting lower performance SSDs in the entry level models even for the latest M2 Pro/Max models. I've just decided to not buy any Apple products for personal use.

With most things in EU having a 2 year warranty I haven't seen any reason to pay for any extended ones. On top of that home insurance can cover a good bit, obviously if the issue happens at home. Paid for my Fryette PS-100 breaking from a tiny fall on its feet.

For Apple products I can see the appeal for AppleCare because Apple has really gone out of their way to make their devices totally unupgradeable. That's fine for a phone but truly sucks for laptops and desktops. Their refusal to use a standard M.2 slot NVME SSD is ridiculous, while quietly putting lower performance SSDs in the entry level models even for the latest M2 Pro/Max models. I've just decided to not buy any Apple products for personal use.
Yeah I agree on all of that. We don't get the same 2 year deal you guys do, which is a bummer. And yeah, Apple is making appliances, not computers these days (even if I do still prefer them to Windows).

Yeah I agree on all of that. We don't get the same 2 year deal you guys do, which is a bummer. And yeah, Apple is making appliances, not computers these days (even if I do still prefer them to Windows).
Yeah another thing that I like is that we don't have to deal with the OEM in warranty cases. If I buy something under warranty from a store, I deal with the store directly and they can fight the OEMs. There's a lot in the computer tech side where people complain about e.g ASUS having terrible support and choosing something based on how good or bad the RMA process can be.

Yeah another thing that I like is that we don't have to deal with the OEM in warranty cases. If I buy something under warranty from a store, I deal with the store directly and they can fight the OEMs. There's a lot in the computer tech side where people complain about e.g ASUS having terrible support and choosing something based on how good or bad the RMA process can be.
Yeah they make some cool stuff, but Asus isn’t exactly known for quality CS here either.

I never get them. Almost more out of principle/spite/cheapness than any sort of thought-out reason.

(And I've never had an incident where I wished I did.)
I can respect that. I’m definitely NOT getting one on my next car, because those are generally the most painful, cost-wise.

Never. The thousands of dollars I’ve saved will more than cover whatever out of pocket expense I’ll incur in the event of ever needing it. I’m with @fretworn though, that an extended warranty on a car can make a lot less if sense, depending on the coverage.

Never. The thousands of dollars I’ve saved will more than cover whatever out of pocket expense I’ll incur in the event of ever needing it. I’m with @fretworn though, that an extended warranty on a car can make a lot less if sense, depending on the coverage.
Yeah, I just regret spending the money on like five cars deep now, and never once needing it. It’s hard to say with a 5 year commitment though if you’re 100% confident there won’t be a problem. I’m not independently wealthy, so these are things i worry about. :D

None. Things on electronics will show up if they're going to, during the factory warranty. So far I've been right on my Axe III. (Had it for 27 months so far.)
Cars are built well enough to go to 100k without major problems 99% of the time. And any warranties I've seen past that mileage are way too expensive. Plus, I buy vehicles that have some history, iow, never first year, or first year with a new major part, like engines or transmissions, and I generally research the ones I'm considering for reliability.
Get a CC with a $5000 limit for peace of mind, and stick it in a drawer if you're worried about a car. Then put the money you would spend monthly on the ESP in savings.

Only thing I got it on is my iPhone because I have a bad habit of dropping them off buildings or from heights tall enough to destroy them on a regular basis. Otterbox DGAF about a 100ft drop.

I liberated my iphone from its case and screen protector a couple months ago. It’s proven way more resilient than I anticipated.

I liberated my iphone from its case and screen protector a couple months ago. It’s proven way more resilient than I anticipated.
The bigger problem is that they are slippery like a soapbar. I recommend TORRAS cases if you want something that is slim and adds a tiny bit of protection but above all a good amount of grip. These are not for Drew tho, just for those people who rarely drop their phones.

The bigger problem is that they are slippery like a soapbar. I recommend TORRAS cases if you want something that is slim and adds a tiny bit of protection but above all a good amount of grip. These are not for Drew tho, just for those people who rarely drop their phones.

I’ll give that a look. I only did it because the phone is a few years old and I’m about to replace it, and the old wireless charger I started using after the lightning port stopped working, required less precise placement on the dock without a case on it. Been a mild revelation, the phone is obviously sleeker and more easy to carry around, the screen hasn’t scratched, and it’s survived a couple mild drops with no issue. I doubt I’ll have the courage to not put anything in the new one, but I quite like this phone now without a case, and will go minimalist with the next one.

Back