Elixir Nanoweb or Optiweb vs Daddario XS?

Spaced Out Ace

Shredder
My understanding, per emailing with someone at D'addario, is that the XS style coated strings are more like Elixirs. Unlike the Elixirs, they don't do a treatment to the plain strings, but coat them with the same stuff as the wound strings.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone has used both and what they think of the D'addario XS if they have? Apparently, the XT is more similar to the Cleartone coated strings, which I was not a fan of at all.

Just to be clear, I don't think I'm planning to switch from Elixirs at present, but just looking at having alternatives if needed, particularly if I plan to change up string gauges for something a little more unique.

I think Elixir plain strings are "treated" but not coated, and D'Addario strings are supposed to all be coated?

In practice they both seem pretty close in terms of tone and feel.

That would eat nickel frets so I'm not sure if that's the case.
Like I said, I got my info directly from Elixir. I'm guessing Elixir knows a thing or two about Elixir strings.

Edit: just for transparency sake, the person I emailed with was from their German "branch", not someone directly from the factory. But I'll still take his word over internet opinions.

Last edited:
Like I said, I got my info directly from Elixir. I'm guessing Elixir knows a thing or two about Elixir strings.

Edit: just for transparency sake, the person I emailed with was from their German "branch", not someone directly from the factory. But I'll still take his word over internet opinions.
You do that.

Back